A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,095
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Sew Mini Duffle Bags  (Read 262406 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , duffel_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2004 04:57:48 PM »

I sewed these up last night, they are so ugly they are good. I drafted up my own little pattern and whipped them up in no time. I must admit I haven't lined them but I am dreading handsewing in the lining. I made them to consign at a shop downtown. I used vintage pillowcases and tablecloths! They close with a matching zipper. I'm really pleased with them!

TUTORIAL FOR MINIATURE DUFFLE BAGS!

SEAM ALLOWANCE IS INCLUDED IN SIZE OF PATTERN. SEAM ALLOWANCE IS 5/8" FOR ALL PIECES.

STEP ONE:

Cut out 1 piece of outer fabric 20 1/2 inches by 13 1/2 inches. Cut one of interfacing also.
Cut out 2 pieces of outer fabric in a circular shape 7 1/2 inches in diameter. Cut two of interfacing.
Also needed: One zipper at least 14 inches long. (You can always trim the zipper if its longer than needed.)

Fuse your interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric now.

STEP TWO:

Fold the fabric in half (right sides together), matching shorter sides together. MACHINE BASTE (with a large stitch) along the top of the bag (this is the side that measures 13 1/2"). You will now have a sort of hollow log.

STEP THREE:

STAY STITCH around the circular edges 4/8" from the edge. Be sure to separate the top seam so you sew over the seam allowance.

STEP FOUR:

Press down the seam allowance from the top seam.

STEP FIVE:

Now its time to sew on the zipper. Place the zipper over the fold you just press down, the right side of the zipper facing down. If you are less experience with sewing I would suggest hand basting the zipper in place before you sew it down. If you feel confident, just pin it!

Switch to your zipper foot, and sew along the zipper tape, making sure to keep a straight line, and the same distance away from the teeth the whole time. You want to sew only through one layer of fabric, and you will see this on the right side.

STEP SIX:

Turn the bag so the right side is facing out. Carefully stitch pick the top seam which you machine basted to expose the zipper. (Remove any hand basting you have done at this point.) Remove any excess threads sticking around.

STEP SEVEN:

Now its time to make the straps. You can choose to make them any size you want, as long as you are sure they will wrap around the full width of the bag. These straps are around 40" long total. They let the bag fit very nicely under your arm.

1: cut two long strips at least 41 inches long and 3 inches wide of outer fabric, or a nice contrasting fabric.
2: cut two long stips the same size as above pieces of interfacing.
3: fuse interfacing to straps.
4: at the iron, fold each edge 1/2 inch inward so there will be no raw edges showing. the iron full length in half for a nice finished look.
5: with each long strip of folder fabric, put right sides together and sew them together.

http://img32.exs.cx/img32/682/tute11.jpg

this will create a nice seam on the outside, and attach the two pieces together.

http://img32.exs.cx/img32/6618/tute011.jpg

6: do the same with the other end of the straps, making sure not to twist them in the process.
7: re-press these two areas

http://img32.exs.cx/img32/1217/tute012.jpg

STEP EIGHT:

Now you should have a big circle of straps. Fold the bag in half, with the zipper at the very top. Place the straps on the bag, putting the two parts with the seam where you attached the strap together at the bottom.

Sew along each side of the straps using your foot as a guide. Make sure to stop two inches from the top of the zipper, and only sew on a single piece of fabric! (Sometimes its easy to accidentaly catch onto other fabric, but you can always use a seam ripper! If you have a free arm sewing machine, you should remove the case so you are able to move the fabric around easily. Also, keep the zipper open for this step.)

NOTE: Pull threads to back, and tie them to reinforce, even if you have backstitched.

STEP NINE:

I sort of forgot to take pictures of this step, so hopefully this will be OK.

Now you will sew the ends onto the duffle bag. Turn the bag so the wrong side is facing outwards. Pin the end onto the bag using this image as a guide:

Sew this together with a 5/8" seam allowance. (you should not be able to see the stay stitching when the bag is turned right sides out.) Clip the edges close to the seam.

STEP TEN:

You have completed the hardest part of the bag! Now its time to put in the lining. (sorry no pictures!)

Follows the following steps in order to create the lining:

- STEP ONE (cut out lining fabric, 2 circles, and interface everything)
- STEP THREE (machine baste edges, but first fold the lining in half right sides together and 5/8" from the top, sew one inch inwards from the side. You will not machin hem the top, nor put in a zipper!!)
- STEP FOUR (press a 5/8" seam allowance at the top edge. This is important since you will not be heming it, but hand sewing in the lining.)
STEP NINE (sew the ends onto each end of the bag)

HANDSEWING IN THE LINING (sorry no pictures!):

Turn the outer bag so the wrong side is facing you and the straps and right side of fabric is inside.
Now you need to put the outer bag INSIDE the lining. Make sure the lining is right sides out! (once this step is complete, the wrong sides will be facing each other)
Hand stitch the lining to the zipper tape. Be careful not to sew through to the good side of the bag, and use a matching thread to conseal any stitching on the inside.

Turn bag right sides out and you are finished!!

I hope that wasn't confusing, and easy to follow! If you have questions just ask, or PM me Smiley
If you decide to try this, take your time and don't let yourself get frustrated, because it can be difficult! Good luck!

« Last Edit: December 25, 2012 02:49:26 PM by kaz814 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
justxoames
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004 05:01:45 PM »

;DThose are SOOO cute! Great job! I love the design on the second one! Orange and green are my favorite colors
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelia bedelia

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004 05:05:39 PM »

wow! do you think you could post a tutorial?

edit: thanks for the tutorial, i'll be sure to make one and post it when its done.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004 02:43:03 PM by amelia bedelia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
pixelpusher
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004 05:09:17 PM »

CUTE CUTE!
Great fabric finds!

How much will you be offering them for if you dont mind the asking?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roseinbloom1023
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004 05:21:23 PM »

Those are adorable!!   Cheesy  They turned out great, I love your choice of fabrics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004 05:31:39 PM »

CUTE CUTE!
Great fabric finds!

How much will you be offering them for if you dont mind the asking?

You know what, I have no idea yet. I haven't quite figured it out, and I'm not sure how I would figure it out for consignment. Like, if its any diffent, do I lower the price? Raise it? I'm not sure.

Thanks everyone, I'll try to make a tutorial in a while! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kuri

I LOVE CHEESE!! <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004 06:16:37 PM »

:oomg! That is sooo cute! ^0^ I wanna make one too now! *needs a pattern*  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aramasamsam

I'm a llama! No wait...Sama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004 11:00:31 PM »

Oh I love them.  Good job.  The first one looks marvelous...how many times can i say it?  I love this site and everyone who uses it, can't wait for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Save the planet -- One bag at a time
http://www.sammade.etsy.com
AutuMn NicOle
Hi

I'm a guinea pig! Wheek!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004 11:16:52 PM »

Shocked!!!!!

Hahah Those are so cute! I can't wait for your "tute"!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dolphin24212
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004 11:50:30 AM »

those look really great!  i specially like the first one. please post a tutorial soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sour Cream Waffles
How to make Ingles Prairie Chicken
Grilled Redfish Recipe
How to Make a La Strip Steak
How to Make Gooseberry Jelly
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...