A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,399
Currently Running With Scissors:
798 Guests and 43 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The sad tale of my lamp.  (Read 406 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krajackex

Lingering death is a dark shade of white.

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2006 09:24:52 AM »

I just thought I'd share this story and find out if anyone else has had similar problems.

So I tried my hand at splicing wire.  What happened is that I thought I should do something constructive with my time, so I thought I'd make my own lamp.  I had a cord with a lightbulb from a previously existing lamp, electrical tape, scissors, and wire cutters, and how hard could splicing wire be?  For my lamp stand, I cut holes in the bottom of three Sprite cans, stacked them on top of each other, and taped them together with black electrical tape.  I wanted to thread the wire through the Sprite cans after I cut holes in the bottom, but the head wouldn't fit.  I could have made the holes bigger, but I didn't really want to do that, so I cut the cord.  After threading the wire through my "stand" I stripped the insulational plastic off the ends of my wires and then twisted them together, followed by taping the new section with the electrical tape.  It seemed pretty easy.  Then I plugged it in and was shocked, saw sparks, and promptly blew the fuse to my bedroom.  But ah, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

I think the problem was that the holes I'd cut on the bottoms of the cans to let the wire pass through had some sharp edges and actually cut into the wire causing the short.

Anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellsbelle
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006 12:34:57 PM »

Wow, deja vu.  I did a similar thing long ago when I tried to rewire an unusual string of Halloween lights.  I thought I knew what I was doing, like how hard could it be -- these lights were so cute, and so cheap! What an idiot I was.  I had crossed the negative and positive contacts on one of the lights.  Looking back it was like I was carelessly defusing a bomb, because when I plugged it in - POW.   I've been double-plus careful since.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Rolled and Plaited Updo
How To Properly Clip In Hair Extentions
Styling Curly Hair: From Wet to Set
Getting Salon Style Extensions At Home
2013 Summer Hair Trend: Medium Length Cuts
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...