A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,538
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: needed: cool onigiri/rice ball recepie  (Read 1882 times)
Tags for this thread: side_dish  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CosmicCranberry
« on: January 10, 2006 09:14:02 AM »

I got these cool triangular onigiri molds from ebay....and I wanna make some rice balls!
does anyone have any creative recepies cause my family is full of picky eaters and they wont eat just anything (i am the only adventurous one)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vampiress92
Magical unicorn

Obsessed with shiney things since 2000

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006 11:33:11 AM »

I know this is totally old, but I just finished making some crazy yummy rice balls with an onigiri mold like yours that makes them super easy to make! This makes a filling for about 4-5 rice balls (about 2 tsp filling each)

3-4 cups fresh cooked rice
6 shrimp (frozen in a bag works fine, just defrost 'em  Smiley )
2-3 Tbsp. Mayonnaise
Black pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
Garlic powder to taste (I'd suggest putting a lot in!)
Onion powder to taste

Cut up your shrimp into tiny peices. I should make about a little less than 1/4 cup. Add the mayonnaise, and seasonings. Mix well. fill the onigiri mold about 1/3-1/2 of the way full with rice, stuffing the rice down onto the bottom of the mold (push hard, so the riceball will stick together) make an indent in the middle of the riceball, and fill it with the filling. put more rice on top up to the edge of the mold. put the lid-thing on, and squish! it'll make a weird noise, but unless everything suddenly falls out, it'll be allright  Grin

My boyfriend who HATES rice, loves these things. I've also done similar recipes with fake crab, and canned tuna. If someone in your family *loves* pickles, try that too. Onigiri is just a sandwich made with rice. any type of 'salad' sandwich filling you'd eat, you can totally try in a riceball.

Another great place for easy japanese cooking: http://www.cookingcute.com
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006 11:38:12 AM by Vampiress92 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilfishyinbigblu
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006 11:38:36 AM »

for the rice balls i make, i use tuna fish salad made the normal way and add curry powder to it. then i just but it in the rice ball. Also i have added avacados and cucumbers to the curryed tuna one of my favs. Also if your family is full of picky eaters just try using regular tuna salad its yummy with rice. Good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vampiress92
Magical unicorn

Obsessed with shiney things since 2000

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006 07:36:46 AM »

Onigiri is great for those who are really picky! I remember that at one point, a good friend of mine was over, and we hand-made riceballs. We were terrible at it, but the tuna filling we added went over great with her little brother that night when she needed to babysit. He's picky, too. Wouldn't eat anything other than ramen for a while  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FrogPuddle
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007 12:03:04 AM »

Hey! I made these last night, except i make them by hand (the rice doesn't stick if your hands are wet, so just keep a bowl of water next to you and rinse between each one.  I was reading up on them in japan and the favorite filling of men is salmon, and the favorite filling of women and children in tuna with mayo!

I put in:
*tiny salmon, tuna, mackrel or whatever fish patties(rounded teaspoon size) made with bread crumbs and mayo, (really wet) seared on both sides in olive oil- my husbands favorite- and if you make them by hand (not sure with molds) the fish distributes itself evenly throughout the whole onigiri because it is soft and moist <--my dinner last night

*in the canned fish section they have many flavored *fish steak* packets, with a much fresher flavor than the cans, i use these flavors (they even have teriyaki) or i take plain and saute it in flavored oil (red chili or garlic) before i break it into pieces.

*Prepackaged onigiri mix (i had a korean market near me and stocked up before i moved) this is like a seasoning packet made of things like sesame seeds, benito (fish) flakes, dried apricot or plum, dried bits of various pickled vegetables. Delicious!  worth picking up if you ever see them, or make your own

*beef, pork or chicken, flavored how you like it

* various vegetables or anything that goes into sushi (mushrooms, omelette, avacado, cucumber, fish row, etc.)

* don't forget the nori (seaweed) wrap on the outside, or make cute faces- but! if you do this, let them cool before putting into tupperware or the nori gets all soggy and weird Tongue

Oh i love stuff like this, my husband thinks im so weird, haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007 07:25:31 PM »

I'd love to know more about onigiri.  I enjoy sushi, and I'm familiar with nigiri in the context of "rectangular rice ball with raw fish on top", but I gather this is something a bit different?  Rice balls with various ingredients in the interior of the rice ball?  Please enlighten me...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katatsumuli
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007 07:44:46 PM »

http://www.shejapan.com/jtyeholder/jtye/living/onigiri/onigiri1.html

(Have you ever seen anyone eating big rice triangles with a strip of seaweed wrapped over one edge? It doesn't have to be triangles (or have seaweed on it at all), but they show up a lot.)

You can make them by hand, or there are a lot of different mold shapes.

In other words, I did a google search  Grin. (Above sentences are filled with picture links.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

@  @,  .@  _@:  _@=  _@v   _@V   ..........._@V -(<3)
Lint Bunny
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007 12:56:38 AM »

I just use some furikake mixed in with my rice. I also have use furikake and a beaten egg, mixed into the hot rice, and then toasted the rice balls in a lightly oiled pan. Tasty!

You can put pretty much any thing in onigiri....it is like a sandwich, think of fillings you would like in bread and it mostly works.....a thin slice of cheese and some chopped tomato is good even.

More traditonal ones have things like mackerel, umeboshi, pickled vegtables, bits of curry, and also mayo-salad fillings (like tuna salad, shrimp salad or crab salad)

So pretty much go crazy and follow your taste and mood. Left overs are great fillings since you can make one or two with out wasting fillings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eggnog Monte Cristos: Outside the Box
Favorite Southern Comfort Food, from Trisha Yearwood
The Inspiration Behind The Cookbooks, from Trisha Yearwood
Visit to Honeybaked Ham in Gastonia, NC
The Smells That Remind Me of Home, From Trisha Yearwood
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...