A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old bath towels  (Read 1265 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Writer78
« on: January 10, 2006 08:25:10 AM »

They're not stained, just too old/rough to use in the bath anymore.  I am saving them for use as rags/cleanup for a messy project, but I wondered if anyone had more creative/clever uses for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006 08:29:17 AM »

ooOOOOOoooo Are you handy with a crochet hook? OR can you braid? You could make nice durable rugs for the kitchen and bath (and anywhere really)... You can cut them into one inch or 2 inch strips, sew them end to end, and wind into a skein, and crochet, or you can make three seperate skeins and braid then join the braid into a round by hand sewing... I can give you more details if it interests you.... I am sure if you searched it, you could find something out there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
DayTripper
Character is what you are in the dark.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine" Proverbs 17:22

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006 08:30:41 AM »

I know someone who once sewd a few old bath towels together and made a funny/comfy/cool bathrobe.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be a sinner and sin strongly, but more strongly have faith and rejoice in Christ."

-Martin Luther
Writer78
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006 08:35:16 AM »

You guys are so smart!   Shocked  Thank you for the cool ideas - I will keep an eye on this thread for more.  The bathrobe idea especially catches my fancy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006 08:36:41 AM »

I have some old groovy-patterned 70's ones of my (late) grandparents' that are still in good shape. I, too, have been searching for an idea. I thought of sewing them together to make laundry bags (hanging ones) or other storage, but they don't actually match any of my decor. Meanwhile I am slowly destroying them by using them as dog towels...sigh...If I wasn't 2000 miles from the nearest beach I'd be tempted to sew up a beach bag! Oh! Maybe a gym bag or yoga bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
DayTripper
Character is what you are in the dark.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine" Proverbs 17:22

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006 08:47:22 AM »

It seems like a pretty durable picnic blanket could be made by sewing 4 or six together too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be a sinner and sin strongly, but more strongly have faith and rejoice in Christ."

-Martin Luther
4Winds
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006 09:24:06 PM »

This might only appeal to parents of babies, but I've used my old towels as stuffing for cloth diapers.  Towels with cool patterns and such can be used as an outer layer also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.  ~ Og Mandino
I am the light of the world... ~ Jesus
dharmadog
a.k.a. "Cheaterpants".

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006 06:31:37 PM »

Animal shelters are always in DESPERATE need of old towels for lonely little lost creatures to lie on. You could sew two together, stuff them and make a little bed for a homeless cat or dog. or donate them as is---the SPCA will love you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For crafty madness and general musings, visit my blog:
http://eatingtacoswhiledriving.blogspot.com/

Shop to help the animals! View handmade items by Rabbit Moon Artworks at http://www.craftersforcritters.com/index.php
morningstar2u

Crazed John Denver Fan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006 08:45:41 AM »

I have this awesome, sweater/jacket that was created from those cool 70's bathtowels.  Each sleeve is sewn together, and then the pieces (sleeves, body) connected by a crochet technique. 

I got the sweater from my grandma (she had it for nearly 30 yrs. & never wore it), at our family garage sell several years ago.  It is the only piece of clothing that I own that gets compliments "every time" I wear it. 

I will post a picture soon. 

PS - I love it so much that I would love to find someone out there that could make another one for me   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We talk of Poems, Prayers, and Promises, and things that we believe in how good it is to love someone, how right it is to care, how long its been since yesterday, what about tomorrow, what about our dreams and all the memories we share." ~ Poems, Prayers, Promises (John Denver)
tuatara
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006 08:57:44 AM »

what about slippers, the slip-on kind?

something like this: 

they could look really funky if you had cool patterned towelling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pop Up Card for Children
How to Make a Tissue Paper Flower
How to Make a Happy Sun Face
Face Painting - Alien Brushwork Details
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 5/5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...