A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing supplies  (Read 1066 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigergirl
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006 07:51:28 PM »

When I was first learning to sew with a machine I used to test it one some scrap fabric exactly the same (and the same number of layers) as I was about to sew, before each different type of thing, just to make sure that when I did the 'real' thing it would go smoothly (actually, I still do it sometimes if it's weird or very fragile fabric).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kd
Ta Da, It's Miss America!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006 10:51:32 PM »

I think the scissors you have are going to work best for clipping threads.  If you have the oppurtunity , Gingher scissors are supposedly the best.  I recently picked one up and they save me oodles of time and stress and I hit a pin with it (uggggh... i know) but it didn't wreck it!  I am so easily amazed.  I started sewing by making drawstring bags.  There's a cool pillowcase made out of 1/3 of a yard of one fabric, and 2/3 a yard of another that is great for practicing techniques and seeing what you would like to different next time. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as a stay-at-home mom.
cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006 11:21:49 PM »

hi,

the scissors sound like embroidery snips, especially if the tips are slightly curved, its so you can snip threads on your work easy.

just a question, i have 2 embroidery machines, and i am not sure if when embroidered the skirt you used some interfacing under neath the skirt ironed to the wrong side. are you hooping and embroidering with a hoop in machine or are you embroidering fancy stitches off your machine.
you need to support the fabric. i use machine embriodery tearaway underneath my designs,it comes invarious thicknesses and some are washaway.
Test sew first thats a great idea, just find some scraps.

i would advise getting lessons from the shop the machine is from if possible. if not pay at  your local shop for some lessons. they will be worth it.

sounds like you are  one lucky girl, enjoy that machine, and yep read the manual, buy a book etc.
try a zippered pouch thats easy just do a search for the tutorial here.

cyndiq
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006 12:21:31 PM »

Threads magazine usually includes simple patterns that are good starters, there was a shrug and a peasant top in the august/sept issue that would be perfect...the shrug is made from one peice and the peasant top from 4 rectangles sooo simple Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fauxlexicon
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006 09:34:37 AM »

i have a hoop which attaches to the machine to work automatically.  it was actually a skirt with several layers of fabric.  maybe like 6 or so, ranging from lace to delicate to a light polyester blend.  they got stuck on the feed dogs i think, so i hope i can avoid this disaster next time.  

yes, i think they may be those type of scissors, one is angles, but the other is straight.  i found them very useful so far.  im making great progress i think.  i have altered a few things so far, and it has been going pretty smoothly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating the Rihanna Hairstyle
Putting in Hair Extensions
How To Prepare Short Hair For Hair Extensions
How To Attach Hair Extensions To Short Hair
How To Prepare Long Hair For Hair Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...