A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,140
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suggestions For Improving Craftster Help Documentation  (Read 1264 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2004 12:42:56 PM »

If you've got comments, questions, additions, etc regarding the documentation for using Craftster, you can respond here or PM me.

In case you don't know, you can get to the "help document" by clicking the HELP link at the top of the page or the HELP button under the Craftster logo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
ecinue88

0.5 second attention sp-

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004 08:49:17 PM »

At the risk of sounding like a whiner I'd like to ask about the possibility of a general ettiquette section in the help menu. I'd also like to hear from other people about how they feel about these things. This isn't targeted at anyone, rather, I'm an old fogey who doesn't see very well and I do most of my surfing from a laptop which doesn't have the best of viewing screens. Generally, things like:

YELLING. IT IS VERY HARD ON THE EYES.

whole posts in
Pink on whiteYellow on whiteLime GreenA little is okay, but too much makes my eyes hurt.

Resizing pictures. It's a little bit of a technical issue as well, but not taking the time to resize pictures makes them distort low resolution laptop screens.

Descriptive post titles, such as not just  "Help!"

Hypersensitivity. Everyone and their mother is convinced that some negative post is directed at them. Don't apologize in advance for first posts, or first picture posts, most people know that image tags can be tricky. Don't assume that comments about 'certain posters' are about you, if there is a problem, chances are that someone will pm you. If no one does, you're probably in the clear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004 02:39:15 PM »

hehe, well, I'm 19 and agree with you on all of those things, so I really don't think it's just because you're an old fogey.   Wink  I'd just like to add that scrolling text can be rather annoying when used for entire posts, too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004 02:54:53 PM »

I agree with you as well! They are really distracting, and hard to read. Especially that glowing one. I would just suggest removing them all! But I know there would probably be a big complaint...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004 02:59:33 PM »

i would totally sign a petition for getting rid of glowing. colours and scrolling text. they get sooooo annoying. i know we are crafty folks but why not express it with pics of your projects and wonderful things to say. not annoying text options (no hard feelings) Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewing stars
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004 08:57:39 AM »

No offense taken. I agree that some of the colors are too hard to look at. But I really do like being able to post in Teal...although I wouldn't be heartbroken if it were taken away either.

The glowing and the moving text is quite annoying, and so are the animated avatars.

I wish people would re-size their pictures they post too. I wind up scrolling all over the place just to see an inch at a time of a whole image!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004 09:12:39 AM »

Leah, I don't know if it's possible, but maybe you could take away only some of the colors?
Like yellow and pink?

I also think it would be good to encourage people to use the 'preview' button.  Especially when they're trying something new.  First picture post?  Use Preview to see if it worked.  Want to post in pink, use Preview to see if it's readable.

Also, draw people's attention to the 'modify' and 'delete' features.  I've seen tons of posts where people say 'whoops, posted this in the wrong forum, ignore that one'
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004 03:18:28 PM »

these are all awesome ideas, especially the "help me!" subject lines and the scrolling text.

i also wanted to point out the rampant use of "aol speak." aka nething, ur, luv, and other annoying abbreviations. type people, it's not that hard!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004 05:33:52 PM by quarkiegirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bridgetbarcode
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005 06:22:47 PM »

Not that I don't love everyones unique avatars...but as someone on dial-up...yes, yes, get with the new technology I know...
I'd love to see an option in the personal preferece page that would allow you to turn off the viewing of avatars. 
It would mean fitting all the posts on one page in alot of cases, and thus preventing scrolling nausea....and allow the ease of eating while browsing  Grin
Hey, I'm a multitasker
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Finally I got with the ETSY program!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5074140
super geek

"She does it at mealtimes, in the loo..."

KnitWhore

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005 06:29:54 PM »

I would say that colors are very annoying sometimes.  They come in handy, on lists for swaps and when I am in a particularly creative mood (look, I knit a wildabest!  And I type in purple!).  But, I saw someone who typed in rred and then HIGHLIGHTED.  in RED.  AKA: big block o' red.  Netspeak, of course.  I am "the typical netspeak audience", according to everyone else, but I don't get it, so I don't know.  AAnd, when criticizing, don't just say "I don't like trees, and your picture is really boring.  Next time, photograph something other than some stupid f-ing trees", be helpful.  CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.  Hehe, rant over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just  because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have"

I'm back!  Older, wiser, and better at crafting Smiley.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Banana Pancakes
How to Make Apple Fries
How to make Beef Stroganoff
Shrimp Dip
Lemon Meringue Pie on fixmyrecipe.com
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...