A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,473
Currently Running With Scissors:
575 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Summer Camp?  (Read 578 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

karidactyl
« on: January 09, 2006 05:24:42 PM »

Does anyone know of any good sewing summer camps or intensive workshops or things like that that teach students of different levels how to sew? I googled it and have found some camps that are actually wilderness camps, so they teach you how to make camp stuff like fleece vests etc., but I was more looking for a clothes camp. Maybe I could just take classes...but I love summer camp haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

something poignant here.
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006 10:06:25 PM »

I guess it kinda depends where you are. I used to take home-ec type classes during the summer, usually 1 cooking, 1 sewing, maybe some art thing, with my cousin. I want to go to Chicago art institute this summer and learn how to design clothes maybe draft patterns and such, but it is too much money for my family at the moment. So, just keep an eye out. Some craft and sewing stores have workshops, too, I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karidactyl
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006 04:21:59 PM »

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

something poignant here.
polkadotgraffiti
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006 05:46:07 PM »

I guess it kinda depends where you are. I used to take home-ec type classes during the summer, usually 1 cooking, 1 sewing, maybe some art thing, with my cousin. I want to go to Chicago art institute this summer and learn how to design clothes maybe draft patterns and such, but it is too much money for my family at the moment. So, just keep an eye out. Some craft and sewing stores have workshops, too, I think.

OMG! I want to go and take the same courses there this summer too Cheesy. But I have the same delimma, not enough money right now. I am going to apply for the merit scholarship, you should too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006 08:15:38 AM »

Does anyone know of any good sewing summer camps or intensive workshops or things like that that teach students of different levels how to sew? I googled it and have found some camps that are actually wilderness camps, so they teach you how to make camp stuff like fleece vests etc., but I was more looking for a clothes camp. Maybe I could just take classes...but I love summer camp haha.

karidactyl, where do you live?  i might be able to help you find something.

check with your local arts schools, they often have programs or know of programs in your area.

check with local sewing machine shops, local fabric stores, local sewing schools (obviously), and even check with community colleges, adult education programs.

call your local ASG chapter and ask them for referrals.

and if all else fails, look online for sewing classes, many of them are downloadable at your convenience so you don't have to be available when the class meets, and others have live meetings so you can have individual attention to your questions.

edited to add:  i had a little free time so i did a google search and came up with TONS of hits for "summer sewing camp".  you might try the same search and see if anything listed is of interest to you or within your traveling distance.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006 12:22:06 PM by rostitchery » THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
wrybrarian
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006 01:57:44 PM »

Hey Chicago folks -

There is an AWESOME 10-week class run out of JoAnn on Elston in Chicago (but not run by JoAnn, it's run by  a seamstress (Seamster?) who is amazing!) Seriously, class size is limited to 5 people, and you get tons of individual attention, and pick your own projects. If any of you want his name/prices/etc., PM me.

I was a complete beginner and just finished a session, and I'm so happy with everything I learned!

xo
rachel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wrybrarian
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006 01:59:55 PM »

Hey Chicago folks -

There is an AWESOME 10-week class run out of JoAnn on Elston in Chicago (but not run by JoAnn, it's run by  a seamstress (Seamster?) who is amazing!) Seriously, class size is limited to 5 people, and you get tons of individual attention, and pick your own projects. If any of you want his name/prices/etc., PM me.

I was a complete beginner and just finished a session, and I'm so happy with everything I learned!

xo
rachel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birthday Cake Ideas for Girls
Birthday Cake Ideas for Boys
Tips for Preventing Pudding from Forming a Skin
Should Cookie Dough Be Chilled Before Baking?
What Happens if You Decrease the Sugar Called for in Baked Goods?
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...