A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,174
Currently Running With Scissors:
362 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ok. Now I'm miffed - Knitty's Crusoe socks, anyone else made these?  (Read 788 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2006 09:30:44 PM »

I just got almost all the way through (1/2 way through the gusset decreases)  the Crusoe socks from Knitty.com and decided to try them on.  Ok.  I know I have wide feet, but they were too tight.  Waaaaaaaaaay too tight.  I used Fleece Artist Merino and I was even getting a larger gauge, and they were TOO TIGHT!!!  Had to frog the whole thing.

Now.  Do I feel like starting again and adapting them to the "right" size?  Never mind that I had to mentally correct the heel turning instructions, its beautiful yarn and I like the pattern....grrrrrr. Angry
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006 08:42:24 AM by puppymomma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006 06:03:10 AM »

Bummer. Sorry to hear about that...very frustrating for you, I'm sure. When a project ticks me off, sometimes I need to do something else knitting-wise and then com back to it.
Question, though...have you knit socks before? I have wide feet and extra-wide (large?) ankles, and practically no published pattern on the face of the earth actually works up to fit my feet withour major, major, adaptation.
Just a though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006 06:18:46 AM »

I just got almost all the way through (1/2 way through the gusset decreases)  the Crusoe socks from Knitty.com and decided to try them on.  Ok.  I know I have wide feet, but they were too tight.  Waaaaaaaaaay too tight.  I used Fleece Artist Merino and I was even getting a larger gauge, and they were TOO TIGHT!!!  Had to frog the whole thing.

Now.  Do I feel like starting again and adapting them to the "right" size?  Never mind that I had to mentally correct the heel turning instructions, its beautiful yarn and I like the pattern....grrrrrr. Angry

Start them again!  They were turning out so well!  Maybe I'm just enamored with that merino, but still.  And being as though I've never made it to the heel of a sock, I can't help you out on that front.  Although after I finish that DNA, I think I may give socks a try again.  Along with that huge cable wrap/scarf from AlterKnits.  And my game boy cozy...

Or, you could always make some HUGE socks for my Flintstone Feet out of that stuff.. hahaha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
puppymomma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006 08:41:44 AM »

I have knit a few pairs of socks.  It did seem kind of odd to only cast on 44 stitches.  And the stranding seems to make it a tighter fabric.  Since it seems that you need to be able to divide everything by a multiple of 4 I think I may try it with 56 stitches next.  Its just weird because of the cuff, since its just a rolled stockinette cuff, would it stay up if it were bigger, because you don't start the stranding until after the cuff...the plain stockinette is stretchier you know?

Anyone out there knit these socks?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006 09:33:43 AM »

Im sure someone who's done this pattern will reply with specifics, but I just wanted to say that I've looked the pattern over just now, and the rolled cuff is cute...but you're right about it being stretchier than the stranded pattern (and when I strand something in combo with plain st st, I use a bigger needle for the stranded part otherwise that part of the fabric "sucks in" and is tighter.) So, what's keeping the sock up is actually the main part of the leg apparently.
At least since you've made a start, you should have a pretty good idea of how big to make the cuff, and if 56 sts is what it takes, then it should work.  Maybe the pattern was written for super skinny legs.  Who knows.
Good luck.  The socks will be really nice once you've got the sizing issue solved. I love handknit socks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elanora
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006 01:54:44 PM »

I started these socks this weekend and had the exact same problem.  I was fortunate to notice it only an inch into the stranded pattern.  The stranded stitch is 20% tighter than my ribbed cuff.  I'm also going to size this one up.  I had just called up my knitting pal to fuss about how the author must have tiny feet.

While I don't have a solution yet, I do feel your pain, Puppymomma.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppymomma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006 02:20:52 PM »

I was fortunate to notice it only an inch into the stranded pattern.
I kind of noticed it early on, but I conned myself into doing more of it to see if it really was going to affect anything.  Plus, I needed more knit in order to be able to try them on.  Maybe I'll cast on again tonight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gwyndy
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006 02:25:28 PM »

I just finished mine.  I too tried to try them on halfway through the gusset as well and couldn't get them on.  I went ahead and finished it because I had knit so far and thought that the needles were interfering.  As for the finished product, I actually love them.  They are tight to get around the ankle join because they don't stretch like normal socks, but once they're on, they fit perfectly, not tight at all, and have fast become my favorite pair of socks.  I used Tess's Super Sock yarn on size 1 needles and I cast on 64 stitches. 

All that being said, although I love the fit and the way they look, I don't think that I would ever make another pair.  They seemed to go on and on and on forever and it was never-ending.  It was worse than knitting stockinette round and round and round.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeffrey Eugenides on What Makes a Good Film Adaptation
Joyce Carol Oates on Violence in Writing
Azure Antoinette Shares a Poem at the IdeaFestival
Devil’s Wake Book Trailer
"All In Good Time": A Poem Read by Jason Sklar
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...