A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Legend of Sleepy Hollow Mini Book  (Read 2007 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 30, 2010 02:02:21 PM »

Here's my latest little project.  It's a mini-book abridged from Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow that I made for Mom and Dad for their birthdays/mothers/fathers day.  The special thing about this book is that it features (oh egotistical being that I am) photos of me...taken when I played the leading role of Ichabod Crane at age 14.  My parents are way into family history and all that stuff, so this little book featuring their daughter's play when she was a girl will be a real thrill for them.

(Yeah, I know it's kind-of silly that the theater cast me in the role, but I was an *ahem* late bloomer and had the long dangling legs and arms, and big hands and feet, and was all thin, and was just a size A which wasn't noticeable at all.  lol)

The text is basically Washington Irving's, though I chopped it down toward the end, and reworded it in a few places.

The layout of the pages was all done in Xara (my favorite program, as I've mentioned before. lol).  The photos are from two sources: scans of negatives from photos taken while the play was being produced, and from freeze frames taken from video that my Mom took backstage during a performance.

The photos were all cropped in Xara (damn cool program, using a very simple technique that anyone can do.)(I swear I'm not affiliated with Xara, it's just that I like it so much! lol)

Now I'm just going to have to make myself one! lol
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010 04:02:45 PM by WideEyedLife » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PirateColey
Pirate Owl Ship Captian!

Craft hound.

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010 04:29:20 PM »

What a cool memento. I'm sure your parents will be thrilled with it... and will most likely show it to all of their friends. Not only is it a gift made by their daughter, but also starring their daughter. I can't imagine any parent not treasuring it.

And on a crafty note- SO well done! It's simple and not over-embellished, which lets the pictures star (as they should).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoCraftyTal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010 05:45:53 PM »

Can I just say thanks! My mom's birthday is coming up and I wanted to put together something special for her. Now I know what I'm going to do.  Roll Eyes oooh, thanks too for the heads up on Xara. I use Adobe's creative suite, but I'm def going to check it out now that I've seen your awesome book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to get notified instantly when someone adds a project of yours as their favorite? Support Craftster and unlock more features as a Friend of Craftster!
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010 05:05:47 PM »

WOW not only did you do a great job on the computer but this whole thing is expertly crafted as a whole. GREAT job!

P.S. I hit "this rocks"
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010 05:06:59 PM by raeraethejetplane » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Beach Sand Photo Mat
How to Create a Pig Puppet
How to Create Your Own Dragon Puppet
How to Make a Shadow Puppet
How to Create Puppets Out of Wood
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...