A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Far too lazy  (Read 642 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

justhappytobe
« on: February 14, 2006 11:13:18 PM »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post  Smiley... and of course, I'm starting in the cooking area of the site. I think that everyone's artistic abilities are intimidating me so far (but don't worry, I will get over the shyness quickly). Anyway, I was wondering what everyone's best EASY and QUICK recipes are... I don't have a lot of free time these days, as I'm moving in a little less than three months and graduating college and getting work/ apartment lined up, etc. But I cannot stand to eat Ramen or Lean Cuisine or plain ol' pasta (you know, noodles and jarred spaghetti sauce) anymore. I am a huge seafood/ exotic food/ spice aficianado and I need a way to incorporate some new, interesting but less time consuming meals into my life. For my sanity. I'm sure everyone else could use a boost, too.

(FYI- if anyone is particularly interested, I don't eat beef or a lot of "land" meat in general, I like every vegetable that I know of, and I'm lactose intolerant... but I think that this post should be for everyone, so don't let my limitations stop you.)

My contribution: My Favorite Pizza

*preheat oven to 425 degrees-- 400 if you like a less crispy crust*
1. If you have the time/ will/ ability, make a pizza dough and form a thin crust. If you're like me, pick an already-made one up at the grocery store (you can get these for less than $1)
2. Ditto with some pizza sauce-- I like to add a little brown sugar for a bit extra sweetness. Spread it pretty liberally across the crust.
3. Finely chop some sweet red and green pepper, onion, and mushroom. The goal here is to make all the pieces very very small.
4. Sprinkle chopped topping over the entire pizza. It should cover the entire thing thinly.
5. Drizzle some extra pizza sauce over the topping.
6. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes although this number varies tremendously. When the crust is light brown, you know, that's when it's done... bake it straight on the rack in the oven.
7. Add a little crushed red pepper and basil to the pizza.

*note: this is particularly delicious when you make a dipping sauce to go with it, either extra pizza sauce or garlic/ ranch sauce*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lothluin
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006 11:40:28 PM »

I know you said you don't like 'plain ol' pasta' but you could try experimenting with the ingredients.  Pasta can be pretty versatile so there's a lot of different things you could try in there.

I just recently tried making sushi too and it turned out to be pretty easy and not too time-consuming either. 

I'm just getting into cooking so I'm not full of a lot of advice.  Most of the things I think of is just being more creative with standard things like sandwiches, salads, etc. 

Grilled cheese and tomato soup is pretty nice  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bead~baby~bead
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006 07:23:10 AM »

Ok so no pasta...does ramen count?

This is quick and very inexpensive...

I take about 10 oz of meat (the type depends on what flavor of ramen I am using)
I pan sear or brown that meat in a skillet with olive oil and the seasoning packet from the ramen.
After the meat is cooked I add about 2 Tbsp of water to the pan and simmer while I cook the noodles.
Make ramen as instructed--I usually keep frozen peas and carrots in the freezer so I throw about a 1/4 cup in there with the noodles.
Drain the noodles and pour into a bowl, pour the contents of the skillet over the noodles and serve.

It's 2 servings worth of food--just perfect for me and my 7 year old. And she loves it.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccabur
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006 11:13:33 AM »

*note: this is particularly delicious when you make a dipping sauce to go with it, either extra pizza sauce or garlic/ ranch sauce*

Garlic/ranch sauce?  Is this something you make?  It sounds like a delicious idea.

Keeping with the pizza theme, one of my favorite meals/snacks is English muffin pizzas.  Basically, you just cut the muffins in half and put all your chosen pizza toppings on.  They only need to bake for like 5 minutes.

I also love a good sandwich.  I like to make pesto & fresh mozzarella sandwiches with crusty bread.  Another one is where I cut up onions and peppers and cook them in some butter, then put them in a sandwich with swiss cheese.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ericablu
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006 08:11:17 AM »

Again, this is a pasta dish, but with some spice. It's my favorite quick meal:

In a bit of olive oil, add a couple of cloves of garlic and some red pepper flakes. Add some lightly steamed broccoli and cook for a little bit - until broccoli is cooked through. Serve over penne pasta and top with parmesan.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006 06:58:05 AM »

Dress up your stuff with sauces.

Basic sauces:

a cup of chix, beef, or veg broth or stock (low sodium is best)
flavoring:

herbs and spices (http://www.oasisdining.com/page/newsletter-archives/seasoning-basics)

A couple tablespoons of wine, vinegar (balsamic is good), real fruit jam or all of the above. Or if you like creamy, use milk or cream (but warm it first with a bit of the stock).

Thickeners: add legumes or veggies and cook (you can whirl it in the blender after), or flour/butter, cornstarch (pre-mixed with some stock), or just cook down the mixture over high heat to syrupy.

As a finisher you can add some crunchy nuts, small-diced veg or fruit or dried fruit, whole legumes.

Mix up with plain grilled or pan-cooked meats and veg.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlueJeanBaby

Hello, lover!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006 07:06:00 AM »

Chicken (or cheese) quesedillas are good. You can buy chicken in strips that you just put on a tortilla w/ some sauce & cheese. You can cook them on the stove, in the microwave, or in the microwave oven and they don't take long at all.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scrappygirl085
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006 07:08:56 AM »

quesedillas sound good right now.  I have a waffle iron that flips to flat griddle sides.  I use it to flatten my quesedillas and it grills both sides in the process.  Yum!  It's a good way to use leftover chicken, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Pressed and Loose Face Powders
Do It Yourself: Where Can You Save Money?
The Beauty Secrets of Coconut Oil
How Many Lipsticks Does One Girl Need?
Beauty Trend To Try: Orange Lipstick
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...