A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Duct Tape Ipod Cozy  (Read 1588 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dizzydragonfly
« on: January 08, 2006 11:23:30 AM »

Hi there!

I just found Craftster and I feel like I have been reborn!!! After lurking for a few days I was inspired to pick up my roll of rarely used duck tape and make myself a new ipod cozy.

Since I have never attempted duck tape wallets (my Mom is a wiz at them) so it took a small feat of engineering to make this cozy complete with pocket and soft liner. I would love thoughts & comments. I really want some new colors to take this even further.

Let me know what you think!!!

Outside...

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/50350ipod2.jpg

Inside...

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/50350ipod1.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The crafter formerly known as jesssf!

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.   - Eleanor Roosevelt

http://dizzydragonfly.blogspot.com

Wists
the/littlest/faerie
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006 11:25:02 AM »

OMG OMG OMG! post tute NOW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so everybody put your best suit or dress on
let's make believe that we are wealthy for just this once
lighting firecrackers off on the front lawn
as thirty dialogues bleed into one
dizzydragonfly
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006 11:28:03 AM »

Thanks!!! I will write one now...hopefully I can recreate it since I crafted as I went along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.   - Eleanor Roosevelt

Wists
dizzydragonfly
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006 12:34:09 PM »

Ok...here's the tutorial!!!

I created a paper template first so I wouldn't duck tape my ipod to death. I also used this paper template for measurements. I have a 3rd gen Ipod (15g) since sizes vary it should be easy to adapt this to any ipod (I hope).

1. I overlapped pieces of duck tape until I had a  rectangle that measured approx. 7.5" x 6" which is enough to wrap around the ipod plus enough to overlap and trim off.

2. With the duck tape rectangle facing sticky-side up, fold over the top 1/4" edge to make an even 1/8" edge across the top.

3. Find a thin, soft material to use as a liner that will protect the ipod. I used a Swiffer dust cloth (trimmed down to size), but I also contemplated sacrificing my eye glasses cleaning cloth. I am not sure how other fabrics might adhere to the duck tape- but the Swiffer cloth works like a charm...soft on the ipod and fiberous enough to stick well to the duck tape. Whatever you use carefully place the cloth on the duck tape with the fabric touching the top edge that you folded over in the previous step.

Tip: When laying down the fabric on the duck tape it helps to roll up the fabric with the top edge loose. Alighn the edge of the fabric and then roll the remaining down the duck tape (pressing in place as you go). I found this out after a very unsuccessful first attmept. Once the duck tape touched the Swiffer cloth it did not want to let go at all!!!

4. With the cloth attached to the duck tape I trimmed off the excess tape on all edges. This gives you a completely non-stcky way of figuring out how to best wrap your duck tape around the ipod. You can also cut it to a perfect rectangle- how precise you are depends on how anal you are....I'm anal!!! (Figure A)

5. I wrapped this trimmed piece of duck tape/swiffer around my ipod and clipped each end with clothes pins to hold it place. Using a single piece of duck tape I taped the end  so it formed a tube-like shape. I also trimmed the tape so it folded over the top edge and matched up...again, I'm anal! (Figure B)

6. Slide the ipod into the tube to make sure it fits! Careful though...I almost dropped my ipod - it slid right through the tube b/c the swiffer cloth is slippery!!! If it doesn't fit you may want to re-do what you did in the previous step- I did until the ipod was snug.

7. Using scissors make a cut one each corner at the bottom of the tube- make sure you are at the bottom so you do not ruin your nice top edge!!! I did this with the ipod in the tube so I was sure that I cut far enough. (Figure C)

8. You should now have 4 tabs- 2 narrow end tabs and 2 longer side tabs. Fold in one of the long side tabs first, then the 2 narrow end tabs and then the last long side tab. (Figure D)

9. To seal the bottom closed I used one piece of suck tape that had about 1/2" of overhang on each side. I somehow was able to make a hospital corner (like when you make a bed) out of the duck tape on each of the four corners. This must have been devine intervention because I can not figure out how I did it with paper!

10. For the pocket I created a smaller rectangle like I did in steps 1-4. I cut this piece down so that it only wrapped around the front and 2 sides. I then used a couple of peices of duck tape to attach the pocket by wrapping the tape all the way around my pocket piece to the back. I used enough so the piece was entirely covered.

Tip: My pocket is too tight to actually use. When attaching your pocket make sure you some how make it loose enough to put your head phones in or whatever!

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/50350tutorial_fig.jpg

Viola! That is it...I am sure there are ways to improve this and make it your own. I would love to see what people can do to make it their own!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists
grrrromit

The eggstraordinary life of Madeline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006 01:37:57 PM »

thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maplestory! Windia forever! Hunt me down, I'm MingyDingus! Smiley
teddybearbones

I made you a bag lunch C:

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006 02:29:57 PM »

My roommate would love this (he duct tapes everything.. real red green like) XD I'll definitely have to show him this Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|art| |etsy| |wists| |blog|
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Scar
How to Draw Santa
How to Draw Sakura Haruno
How to Draw Rose
How to Draw Robin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...