A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,170
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nature Pendants (from my little sister for Christmas!)  (Read 1145 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

modpodge
« on: January 08, 2006 08:38:24 AM »

I just wanted to show off what my wonderfully artsy/craftsy sister gave me for Christmas. She made these pendants in an art class at school, and used real leaves for the images:

I'm so used to giving out handmade presents at Christmas, I love receiving handmade gifts even more! The little triangle one is my favorite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beatgirl77
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006 02:52:10 PM »

those are super cool.
i like the brown one on the right
is it just clay painted and fired in a kiln?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006 03:08:37 PM »

They are lovely!
I think the little one is my favorite too.
You must have a great sister.
Gr,
BeaG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dalargestpucca

My head is beeg. It is larger than a tweeg.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006 03:56:48 PM »

Hey those are beautiful ... your sis did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
modpodge
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006 06:58:35 AM »

those are super cool.
i like the brown one on the right
is it just clay painted and fired in a kiln?

I emailed my sister, this is what she had to say about the process:

umm well the necklaces are just made of regular greyish clay, then you imprint or do whatever you want to them, then you bisque fire in a kiln, then put whatever glaze you want on it and glaze fire. it takes us forever because in our class we wait till we can completely fill the entire huge electric kiln until we do any firings, and for a complete project it takes 2 firings. so this year weve only gotten like 10 done all together. but the glazez are fun because (their a little expensive) you need to buy an underglaze so that the imprinted things are a different color. so you brush on the underglaze and wipe it off with a wet sponge so that the imprinted things pop out, then let it dry for a couple minutes, and cover it with one of the cover glazez (those make it all shiney and pretty).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MysticSpiral
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006 08:50:57 PM »

I emailed my sister, this is what she had to say about the process:

umm well the necklaces are just made of regular greyish clay, then you imprint or do whatever you want to them, then you bisque fire in a kiln, then put whatever glaze you want on it and glaze fire. it takes us forever because in our class we wait till we can completely fill the entire huge electric kiln until we do any firings, and for a complete project it takes 2 firings. so this year weve only gotten like 10 done all together. but the glazez are fun because (their a little expensive) you need to buy an underglaze so that the imprinted things are a different color. so you brush on the underglaze and wipe it off with a wet sponge so that the imprinted things pop out, then let it dry for a couple minutes, and cover it with one of the cover glazez (those make it all shiney and pretty).

If your sister would like some firing tips, etc, she can drop me a note (My email address is on my website...) She could actually get away with glazing the pendants before they're fired and then only firing them once. Depending on where she's located, she may be able to rent kiln space in a local potter's kiln to do some of her firing.

I love the pendants. They're lovely and organic. They really make great use of the leaf impressions. I'd love to see more detailed images of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006 09:07:31 PM »

THEY ARE LOVELY!
She sure did a grat job on them and the use of nature is fabulous. I bet it was such a joy to open this gift up. What a cool sister!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Susan RoAne Wishes She Had This Talent
Dr. Kelly Traver Talks About The Program
Anthony Doerr Talks About Memory Wall
A Tribute to George Carlin
Alan Goldsher Talks About Paul Is Undead
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...