A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kenmore mini ultra bobbin problem  (Read 1138 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eeecrafty
« on: January 08, 2006 12:54:07 AM »

Hi. I am an absolute beginner sewer and I just purchased a Kenmore Mini Ultra. I've been following the manual's instructions but I've gotten stuck at "drawing up bobbin thread".  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it just doesn't work! I'm supposed to hold the needle thread lightly with my left had and rotate the handwheel counterclockwise for one complete turn.  I've done this, but the handwheel won't go a complete turn, something is jammed.  I think there is a problem with the way I inserted the bobbin. I've left a few inches of thread hanging out to the right and I haven't closed the shuttle cover. Also, I've left the footpedal up. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eeecrafty
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006 09:39:35 PM »

I haven't received any responses, so I just wanted to point out that this may not be a problem specific to my machine; it may just be "beginner's dilemma".  Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Very frustrated
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006 10:55:20 AM »

Make sure the two little black latch thingies on the sides of where you put the bobbin holder are down and secure.

Take your bobbin out and reinsert it making sure you have the thread going the right direction. 

You should be able to turn the handwheel smoothly.  Since it is not, that means something is stopping it. 

Also, check to make sure your needle isn't bent or anything.

This isn't a problem only for beginners.  I still have this happen to me.  There have been many times I have had to almost dismantle my machine, blow out all the dust bunnies, and try again.  Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
persephone
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006 11:35:56 AM »

I am considering buying one of these machines as a birthday present to myself. I have no idea how to sew at all and made the mistake of buying one of those handheld sewing machines from Joann's which broke immediately. Is this good for beginners? Also, what are the dimensions of the actual machine because space is very limited in my house

Thanks

Catheryn
http://araknkneknits.typepad.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catheryn

My Blog: http://arakneknits.typepad.com

Hand Knit Items for Blythe: http://arakneknits.etsy.com
stephyb
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006 11:42:19 AM »

make sure that you have the needle facing the right way (one of mine the groove is toward you  the other one of mine has the groove to the left) for you sewing machine to pick up the bottom thread. also make sure you have the bobbin loaded all the way onto its post (i forget this all the time) or your needle may hit the bobbin case wrong and not do anything.  also try holding the thread loosly and turn the wheel toward you not away .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marim
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006 12:08:02 PM »

I also think it is an issue with how the bobbin is currently sitting in your machine.  Keep reinserting the bobbin, try different positions.  You don't have to shut the case off from your view before trying to turn the wheel.  Leaving it open will help you see and understand what is blocking the complete wheel action. (Make sure the power is off for your safety.

My mom got me this machine when I moved out.  Thanks Mom, but can I have your old Singer instead?  I struggle constantly with loading the side loading bobbin on this machine compared to the top loading bobbin on my Mom's Singer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Amaryllis and Kimono by Fran Beallor
Falling in Love by Fran Beallor
The Date by Fran Beallor
Middle East Painting by Fran Beallor
Portrait Paintings by Fran Beallor
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...