A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,643
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Selling sewn items?  (Read 2239 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

princessliak
« on: January 07, 2006 08:29:08 PM »

Planning ahead for summer selling.  It is a farmer's market with little crafts being sold.  I want to sell something with around a $10 selling price and minimum overhead (a dream?).  My partner is making pillowcases and aprons. Any ideas would be welcomed and appreciated.  I sew and knit! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are so many ways to die without losing your life.

www.baskinginbliss.blogspot.com
www.lulu.com/content/292980
cronenwett
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006 12:57:30 PM »

Okay, I'll jump in here since 68 people have read this with no replies.

What about belts?  I'm thinking of those scarf-like ones, about 3-4 inches wide and long enough to tie in a knot in the front.  Probably each would take at most a quarter yard of fabric if it was double sided, and the lenghth would be the width of the fabric.  You could pick up some remnants or use what you have on hand.    Here's an example:  http://www.mydivascloset.com/scbein4cofor.html

You could also do ribbon belts, but you'd have to buy ribbon and D-rings.  http://ecubedarts.blogspot.com/2006/01/belts.html

Not sure what else would stay at/under $10, maybe some really simple market bags out of canvas?  You could have plain ones in the $10 range and decorated ones for more.  http://secure.mcc.org/mccstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

Maybe felted purses?  Small ones, or felted change purses?  I'm really not sure what your market demographics are...we sell jewelry at our farmer's market, and it's worked okay for us.  Our best seller is $5 necklaces that are a large stone donut ($1.50 at the rock store in town) put onto a faux-leather thong.  Takes seconds to make costs us $1.55, sells like crazy.  I don't know if that helps you any.  We did sell a surprising amount of things, especially at the end of the market in Sept/Oct (people thinking ahead to Christmas?)

Liz

THIS ROCKS   Logged

princessliak
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006 07:51:06 AM »

Thank you for the ideas... I think I might just use one or two of them!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are so many ways to die without losing your life.

www.baskinginbliss.blogspot.com
www.lulu.com/content/292980
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006 08:49:37 AM »

small zippered pouches also do well at craft fairs...same with the bags, you can make some plain and some decorated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
carriem23
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006 08:13:49 AM »

I agree with the reuseable tote bag idea. 
I also like the coin purse idea.   
Last year at my local farmers market I noticed t-shirts, record bowls, crocheted items, Jewelry, and photo greeting cards.
I think having a calendar of other dates you would be at the market would be helpful too.  That way if someone saw a bag one week but didn't bring extra money for it they know when you will be back so they can come prepared.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007 08:31:51 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006 08:20:16 AM »

I know you asked for $10 stuff, but here's a $5 idea: you could make re-useable "shopping bags" out of thrift store stuff (two layers of solid cotton sheets, maybe? Or colorful tshirts? Whatever's cheap). Cheap, strong, and with maybe a bit of applique for added cuteness. People will have extra incentive to buy them if they are shopping for veggies and stuff at the same time. It's a bit different from a tote, because totes in my mind are a little cuter and nicer, while shopping bags are less fancy, you can get them wet, you can get them dirty, you can sling them into the trunk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nux_vomica
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006 12:49:09 PM »

since it's a farmers market and people are there cause they want to cook things...what about pot holders?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Galadriell
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006 09:48:10 PM »

I agree. Try to recycle most of your projects from Thrift Store items. It would keep the cost down. Maybe try re-using old ties. Belts, bags, etc....

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Rid of Split Ends for Good
Why Bangs May Be the Fastest (and Chicest) Way Out of a Hairstyle Rut
How to Make a Long-Lasting Blowout
How to Create Volume With a Haircut
The Best Haircut for Square Shaped Faces
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...