A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help: Knitty tank top  (Read 465 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyGal13

teacher, knitter, colorguard girl, craftster!

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2006 03:35:28 PM »

I am really interested in knitting the asana from knitty:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTasana.html

However, I don't like the funky back, and was wondering if anyone could rewrite the pattern so it is all knitted in the round to just become a tube without the strange cutout stipes at the back.  Thanks!

Also, I'm not really sure how to knit in the round...any good tutorials online?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006 06:36:36 AM by CraftyGal13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006 03:48:39 PM »

www.knittinghelp.co m has tons of great tutorials.

rewriting the pattern all in the round is easy as pie! ignore the bind offs and continue to knit in the round instead of switching to straight needles. you should also ignore the part about making the middle tab. i'm not sure if you'll have to deal with the waist shaping, because it seems to concern the holes in the back.

basically, you'll just make a tube with a band of garter stitch (a pain to knit in the round. you'll need to place a stitch marker at the beginning of the round and alternate knitting and purling each round) at the top and the bottom and then add the straps. really easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006 03:49:36 PM »

one more thing: the middle part in stockinette stitch will be knit all rows since you're knitting in the round.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

CraftyGal13

teacher, knitter, colorguard girl, craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006 04:13:20 PM »

Yay!  That's exciting--I'm glad that something so cute can be so easy...all I've knitted thus far is scarves, and this looked like a pretty good beginning project.  I was thinking that I could possibly ignore the waist shaping also.  I guess that if it becomes an issue, I can block it and stretch out the top and bottom more than the middle...thanks!

I checked out the video for knitting in the round on knittinghelp.com, and it seems like there's no trick.  Just knit and keep knitting!  Yay--I'll be taking a trip to the yarn store soon!

One more question--does anyone have any idea for about how long this might take me to knit?  I'm also currently working on a scarf on size 5 needles, and I've gotten bored.  I wanted to do a relatively quick project so I can actually prove to people that I DO have finished projects!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FluffyMonkey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006 07:22:00 PM »

well, it's done on size six needles, so it won't be the fastest thing, but it's so easy that it'll go well enough. i heard a trick from another knitter on craftster to make easy circular knitting (or any for that matter) seem to go faster. put a safety pin on where you start knitting, and then when you're done for the day or the session, you can see your progress. sometimes knitting on small needles doesn't seem to progress at all, so that really helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Yaldah Tovah

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Party Pretty With Just One Unexpected Product
EPISODE 5 SNEAK PEEK: Think Like a Drag Queen
How to Do Glamorous, Shimmery Makeup
How to Spoon Away Your Puffy Eyes
How to Make a Fruit-Based Facial Scrub
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...