A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,795
Currently Running With Scissors:
727 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want to make a Shawl / Wrap  (Read 684 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

notyourmomsknitting
I will only stitch if I can bitch

Eat. Breath. Knit.

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2006 01:00:56 PM »

Okay - so I'm doing this garter stitch scarf on US10 needles...I love the needles.  Don't love how long it's taking to make the dang scarf.  LOL

SO while I'm working on this little gem, I'm thinking about another project.  My office goes from hot to cold CONSTANTLY so I'm always pulling on and taking off my sweater during the day.  I would LOVE to have a nice mid-weight shawl or wrap to keep on my chair and throw over my shoulders when I get chilly.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a nice, beginner's pattern?  I haven't even taught myself to purl yet.  Or to YO or any of the other knitting lingo.  BUT I caught on to casting on and the knit stitch in an hour so I don't think picking up other stitches will be a problem...I hope.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006 01:20:34 PM »

The simplest one would be to just take your basic scarf and make it bigger.  You can use circular needles (forgive me if you know this, but just to make sure: they're the ones with the flexible stuff in the middle, and come in various lengths) to allow you to fit more stitches on (hence, make a super-wide scarf) and you can just knit enough to wrap around you.  If you use a bulky, warm yarn (or double or triple up on a thinner yarn) you can make a dense fabric with 15s, even 17s.  Those knit up fast, and it'd be easy enough to get it done to keep you warm until you learn a fancy shawl pattern soon.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
notyourmomsknitting

Eat. Breath. Knit.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006 08:35:28 AM »

Embarrassed Duh - I feel like an idiot. 
Thanks for the tip.  I actually bought some Homespun this morning and a set of size 13 circular needles.  I'm feeling brave.  I don't know why I didn't think of just making a wider scarf. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roccermom
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006 10:02:11 AM »

once you learn that yarn over, and it is truly so easy, really,
you can add maybe four rows of the world's easiest lace pattern,
fan and feather,
and then you can knit a big wide scarf in garter stitch, but add those
just few rows of fan and feather- ka-pow! instant scalloped edge.

or to really fake up some lacey-ness, knit on way larger needles, and it'll give
the fabric a light lacey feel.  no purling, no yarn-overing at all.

(but it is so easy, and you'll rock at it once you get going)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006 10:14:07 AM »

Embarrassed Duh - I feel like an idiot. 
Thanks for the tip.  I actually bought some Homespun this morning and a set of size 13 circular needles.  I'm feeling brave.  I don't know why I didn't think of just making a wider scarf. 

Don't feel like an idiot--you're learning!  This is what Craftster is here for.  Wink

For Homespun, if you want something a little holey-er, use 17s or even higher.  13s will give you a very drapey fabric, I think... I've only used Homespun once and I used 15s, for the quickness factor.

Know that Jessica Simpson shawl?  Easily done with 35s or 50s and some bulky wool.  Once you conquer the size, you can do anything!  All that shawl is is a giganic kercheif.

And the feather and fan suggestion is a great idea for adding a special touch, but I don't know if it would work out so well in Homespun.  Only one way to find out--try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006 11:17:50 AM »

A really, really easy shawl pattern you can try is Glampyre's City Shawl.  It calls for bulky chenille, but I think you could sub in some homespun and follow the pattern as-is.  You only need to know knit, knit front and back (kfb) and yarn over (YO) - very simple!

If you have a fast internet connection, I highly recommend KnittingHelp.com.  There are videos on how to do just about everything, including YO and kfb.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

notyourmomsknitting

Eat. Breath. Knit.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006 01:42:49 PM »

Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry  Angry

I could kick myself!!!  Halfway through the third row, I put the needles down to do something and when I picked them back up, I ended up knitting on top of that third row - leaving half at only two rows and the other half at 4 rows.  grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrr

THIS ROCKS   Logged

penguino
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006 01:52:11 PM »

Don't worry about the mistake.  Everyone makes mistake.  I drop stitches all the time and have to pick them back up.  what a pain. 

All you have to do is rip that row and pick your stitches back up.  The other thing is one of my favorite saying to my bf is "let me finish this row".  I like to finish the row and then set it down.  Life is easier that way.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Merging HDR Photos in a New Way
Roundtrip Editing with Adobe Photoshop
How to Sora of Kingdom Hearts
How to Create Photo Books with Lightroom 4
How to Draw a Piranha from the Movie Piranha 3DD
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...