A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rotary Cutters  (Read 1278 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nicolep
« on: January 06, 2006 08:51:21 AM »

I want to buy a rotary cutter but can't decide between a Fiskars or Clover. I've read the product reviews on the Jo Ann's website and I'm currently leaning towards a Fiskars. Any Advice??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006 01:22:17 PM »

I bought a cutter from Olfa on Ebay for 13.69, including shipping.  Works great.  I have been cutting up 5 bags of old clothes for the past 2 days and actually getting somewhere-ha ha.  This seems to be the brand recommended by most of the quilting mags and books I have.

This is the address of the auction I got.  It was sent like lightening.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8220147715&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
sarybow
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006 05:51:01 PM »

I have the retractable OLFA rotary cutter and I love it.  It feels nice and and weighty in my hand, and because you have to squeeze it (lightly) to cut, I never worry about accidentally reaching for it and cutting myself.  Because you can replace the blades, it is a tool that you can have for a long time, so spend money on a good one.  Oh, and since you should change blades often, make sure you get one whose blades are offered at your LQ/FS. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CMeCraft
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006 06:13:10 AM »

I have a Fiskar brand rotary cutter that I use all the time.  My husband bought me an Olfa one with the pinking shear type of blade on it, but I haven't used it yet.  Whatever you end up with, make sure you don't have the blade out when you aren't using it.  I had a brain fart one night and stood up with my open rotary cutter in my lap.  It fell on my foot and ended up cutting it.....I had to hop through the house to try to find a bandaid to cover it....not one of my finer moments......lol 

Has anyone used a blade resharpener for the rotary cutters?  I came across one in a catalog recently and wondered if it really worked. 

Candace
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006 06:25:51 AM »

i also have an olfa 45 mm with the retractable blade. i like it a lot, i got into the habit of locking it back after each cut and haven't had an accident yet...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006 07:12:17 AM »

i love my olfa.  the weight and the design are wonderfully complimentary, and they seem to be cheaper or on-par with most of the other brands. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yirq
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006 08:44:00 AM »

I prefer Fiskars. They all work well if the blade is sharp. I liked the way the Fiskars fit in my hand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmoore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006 02:33:28 PM »

I also like the fiskars shape. I don't think it really matters as to type, as most cutters will take most kinds of blades, so they'll all cut pretty much the same. I think the more important matter is size. For general quilting, a 45mm is best, this is large enough to go through several layers of fabric, but is not bulky. If you intend to do alot of applique or curved pieces, an 18mm would also be a good addition.

If looking into the Olfa cutters, keep in mind that Olfa blades are the most expensive on the market. They can be traded in to certain companies for new ones, however-or you can buy a little sharpener for them. they work wonderfully provided there are no large nicks in the blade (watch those pins).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HeQuilts
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006 12:14:53 PM »

I have every size of OLFA, 2 of them the retractable blade.  I find they feel much more secure in my hand.  A bit more "chunky".  I feel it gives me better control.

Jason in Los Angeles
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006 06:11:31 PM »

Oh I'm so glad I found this post!  The cutter I've had for 10 years decided to start giving me trouble a few days ago and some I'm going to replace it - don't even know the brand but it was cheap.  I was leaning towards Olfa and think that's what I'll get after reading this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Super Bowl Dessert-a-Dome
How to Make Fortune Cookies for a Happier Chinese New Year
Watch Chocolatiers Make Dark Chocolate Cherry Truffles
Super Bowl Recipes: 4th Quarter Sweets
How to Make Easter Egg Cakes
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...