A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,386
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felt Name Book - Photo Heavy  (Read 39817 times)
Tags for this thread: name , felt_name_book  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

plumpkin
« on: January 05, 2006 08:07:08 PM »

This is a felt name book I made for my daughter Charlotte for her 1st birthday. Each letter of her name is represented by an animal of the same letter. The book is embellished with different textures, ribbons and a zipper for her to feel. It took me about 2 months to do - 1-3 hours a night. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

It is made out of plain craft felt and embroidery thread.

ps. Is felt bought at a fabric store a much better quality than the sheets at a craft store? Apart from the better (and more varied) colours, is it worth the splurge?

Book end detail

Book cover

C for Cat | H for Honeybee

A for Alligator | R for Robin

L for Lamb | O for Octopus

T for Toad | T for Turtle

E for Elephant

Back cover

Book spine detail

Up close details:

I will add the disclaimer that toys for children under 3 shouldn't have buttons or anything they could choke on. Even though she never has pulled at the buttons, we always look at this book together.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2010 10:53:31 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

juliel85
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006 08:09:59 PM »

Wow, what a beautiful book!  It seems everyone I know has a young infant at the moment, I will certainly remember this idea (though I could never make one as lovely as your's).  I love the colors and the attention to detail, it must have taken forever.  That's something she can keep forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LetterGhost
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006 08:11:41 PM »

this is gorgeous!!!

I know that's not saying much, but the book is so perfect there isn't much else to say about it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006 08:13:38 PM by LetterGhost » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarcastra
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006 08:12:42 PM »

Excellent work; it is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006 08:14:48 PM »

that's adorable!  I'm sure she'll appreciate it a lot when she gets a bit older, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laney

You could be as hated as me if you only tried.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006 08:15:27 PM »

Wow, you're book is absolutely amazing. I can definately tell the amount of time and love that went into that. It's just beautiful. I especially like the end where it says "Made by Mama." That's just really cute. Your daughter is one lucky girl!

I'm not sure about the quality of felt bought at a fabric store vesus a craft store... sorry. But, I do know that if I had a young child, I'd definately want you to make one of these for us! They absolutely could sell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are people who have money
and there are people who are rich.
--Coco Chanel
folara
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006 08:53:28 PM »

Wow, mom, that is goooor-geous! Does Charlotte like it? I'm SURE that people would buy these, if you found the right market (maybe check at daycares and preschools?) It looks like it took a lot of time to make, but it would probably be pretty easy to come up with templates for each letter-animal, which would streamline the process. The only thing I think you should modify before you market these is the binding method, so that the book lies flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post pictures of all of my crafty adventures on my flickr and my blog!
girlofdashboard
kung foo kick to the FACE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006 09:01:54 PM »

my goodness thats adorable...

i agree with it lying flat, but honestly i dont think someone would look at something that cute and beautiful and say "id buy it but it doesnt lay flat"
i mean i dont believe the "flatness" of the book would be in any way the selling point... the same people who buy it as a flat book would be the same people to buy as is...
but i could be wrong... no harm in trying to improve your felt book... even though i find it hard to believe you could make one with any more love then the one you made for your daughter

about felt... i aslo have no idea... i think i good group to ask would be the felting people... even though they do it themselves, maybe they know something about that kind of felt that could help you out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAURA!!!
plumpkin
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006 09:20:11 PM »

The only thing I think you should modify before you market these is the binding method, so that the book lies flat

What do you mean by this? When the book is lying on the table, pages open it's totally flat. It reads like any other book. Have I misunderstood you?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

prairietransplant
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006 09:27:39 PM »

this is so wonderful!  it was obviously made with a lot of love, and your daughter will know that especially when she is older.  thanks for showing us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Butter
How to Make Tequila Chicken
Beer Can Turkey
Potatoes O Brien Recipe
The Rookie Cook: How to Make Cole Slaw
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...