A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handsewing Yarn to doll head--Help!  (Read 534 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anwa
« on: January 05, 2006 07:20:27 PM »

I am making my first doll and want to sew some yarn to the head for hair. My problem is I don't have a sewing machine and can't figure a way to stich the yarn onto the fabric to make it #1 stay put and #2 look good.

Any suggestions?? This is my last step and I want to finish it already!! Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever's Clever! - prints, boxes and more!
Help support a starving student who is addicted to crafting!
http://whateversclever.etsy.com
green monk
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006 08:05:10 PM »

i don't know how you prefer the hair, but you could sew some hair strait on, so it doesn't move too much near the head. obviously a bit more than 4 strands Tongue but just so you could see. and then if you don't want the stitches so obvious near the surface you can do fewer, or do bangs and have the top most strands hang over the front (as bangs) and sew wherever the top of the bangs are..

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010 07:15:14 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I WILL BE IN THE WOODS FROM AUGUST TO NOVEMBER... GOOD-BYE COMPUTER!!!
anwa
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006 09:41:10 PM »

Thank you! I thought of something like that but wasn't sure how to do it... I'll try that!

Any suggestions for boy length hair as well?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever's Clever! - prints, boxes and more!
Help support a starving student who is addicted to crafting!
http://whateversclever.etsy.com
green monk
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006 09:16:13 AM »

hmmm... well, wicked short boy hair i dont know, but if you dont mind the longer...shaggy ish look Tongue you could do the same kind of thing, sew down the tips, only instead of having the strands going down the back they could go across the top? as if hes got a part down the middle? i did this on some puppets i made for a film last year, and it looked pretty decent, and since the girls had long hair and the boys had hair much shorter, everyone could tell it was a boy..

hehe, you could even make a middle aged man with a comb over by tossing it back over the top Tongue hahahah. *tear* sigh Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I WILL BE IN THE WOODS FROM AUGUST TO NOVEMBER... GOOD-BYE COMPUTER!!!
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006 10:54:38 AM »

go to a site called cloth doll connection, scroll down to the tips and techniques and look for a link on wigging your dolls you should find way more than you need!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juliana
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006 08:56:17 AM »

For longish hair, wrap the yarn around a book a bunch of times. Anchor each yarn end to the book with tape.  Slip a ribbon that matches either the doll head or the colour of the yarn under the wound hair.  with tiny stitches, sew the yarn to the ribbon.  When you're done sewing, slip the yarn off the book, and cut at opposite end of ribbon and stitching.  Sew this to doll head.  Repeat with more of these "wefts" in different areas of the doll's head to add thickness; this also helps to cover the doll's head.

You can use this technique for a short style, too but you can also cover the doll's head with turkey stitches.  Just make the loops whatever length you wish:

Here is a great example of a craftster who used turkey work (I believe) to make this great doll!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=78231.0

`Hope this helps!!

Juliana
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009 01:22:27 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Blow Dry Hair
How to Style Curly and Wavy Hair
How to Create Formal Updo Hairstyles
How to Do Long Layer Hairstyles
How to Foil Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...