A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My daughters feel better after having the chicken pox dress  (Read 2356 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 12, 2006 09:50:09 AM »

My daughter had the chicken pox lately and I stayed home with her a lot so I decided to make this dress that had been hanging around on my "to do" pile for awhile.  She had picked the fabric.

It is sleeveless, and winter here so she is wearing a black turtle neck under

This is McCall's 4442.  It says that it is a 2 hour dress.  Well not for me.  More like two weeks.  It had the stranges way to put in a zipper that I have ever done, but maybe it is more common than I know. 

So here is the problem 

The material puckered while putting in the zipper.  I took it out and redid it three times, then decided that she would live with my mistake.  This material is a kind of rubbery, plasticy, fake patton leather I guess.  If anyone can give me some tips on how I could have done the zipper with this kind of fabric I will be forever grateful. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurlala

They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006 10:01:34 AM »

its very cute- i like the shape of it a lot!

although i do have to admit that when i first saw the title i was expecting a dress with big dots all over it : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catching my breath is the term i use when the world gives up on me -pepper

I wish I could drink like a lady / I can take one or two at the most / Three and I'm under the table / Four and I'm under the host - dorothy parker

http://livelearnlaughlove.blogspot.com
Deirdre
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006 10:03:30 AM »

Zippers -- baste the seam closed, tape the zipper on, sew it down, then rip out the baste stiches.  Easiest way I know to put in a zipper.

Of course, I don't know if this will work with this particular fabric -- it seems stretchy.  Are you using a teflon foot?  That may help you immensely.

Pudruff
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WendyZ
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006 01:36:37 PM »

Have you ever tried an invisible zipper?  You put it in a little differently than a regular one, but it might work better with this fabric as you have no topstitching to do.  The instructions are usually in the package. 

BTW - You're such a cool Mom making that dress for your daughter.  All I have to remember from my chickenpox is an aversion to Calamine Lotion and Aveeno!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Flute with no holes is not a Flute.  A Donut with no holes is a Danish.
Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006 03:29:59 PM »

taping the zipper in place can help a lot when working with leathers and vinyls. Another way to avoid puckers it to baste teh seams closed, then baste the zipper to the seam allowance only. After that, you can turn the garment over and sex from the outside so that you can keep an eye on how the fabric is behaving. Lap zippers are also great, but a little more complicated and I'm not exactly sure how to explain how to do it withouth busting out ms paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Auditions and Casting for a Film
Post Production: Editing, Music and Visual Effects
How to Make Zombie Makeup
Director Mike Newell on How to Work With Actors
EXPOzed #33 - HD Expo 2008 - MACCAM Lighting
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...