A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fixing bad-tasting lip balm  (Read 1156 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snazzypants
« on: June 08, 2004 08:37:01 PM »

The topic title may be misleading, but I have a question. I bought some cheap lip balm with a spf of 30. It tastes awful! I want to add a little flavor and color. If I melt the lip balm down, would I be ruining the spf? Is there a good flavoring that covers a really bad flavoring? Any input ya'll have would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edited: I  changed the topic title (the old title was "SPF in lip balm") because no one seemed to be reading this post. Maybe this title will shake things up.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2004 08:49:12 AM by snazzypants » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftygurl
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004 07:20:58 AM »

Maybe if you melted it and added essential oil? I've never tried it but I think that might work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004 09:28:57 AM »

Unfortunately, you'll probably need a pretty strong scent to cover whatever you've already got.  Peppermint essential oil seems to mask most everything.  It only takes the tiniest amount -- too much will make your lips tingle, and all you'll smell all day is mint.  Use less than a drop.  A toothpick should get you enough, and you can use it to stir the lip balm.  Lemon may be another good candidate if you're not a minty type.

As for the SPF, if you're very careful to heat the balm slowly (use a double boiler), so it doesn't so much melt as soften, you'll be able to stir in the flavoring and avoid ruining the SPF.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snazzypants
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004 05:14:03 PM »

Thanks all; I will try to find this "essential oil" you speak of (and soften instead of melt the lipbalm). I will post results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soccerchic
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004 01:48:37 PM »

IF you put essential oils in your lip balm if you licked your lips would it make you sick??
 Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainclouds
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004 10:34:44 AM »

Some essential oils will make you very sick.  For example, a teaspoon of Wintergreen Essential Oil will kill a child and should be kept under lock and key.  Some essential oils will harm your skin.  Certain types of citrus oils, for example, are phototoxic - meaning they can sensitize your skin if exposed to sunshine.  Others are perfectly safe, provided they are used in the right amounts.  I would strongly advise against using essential oils without a good deal of research into their safety and proper usage.  I'd refer to several books on essential oils as well as online resources, including the FDA's GRAS list (Generally Regarded as Safe).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chicken Pad Thai Recipe
How to Make Miso Glazed Chicken Wings
How to Make Burmese Melon Salad
Asian Bites: Traditional Malaysian Chicken Satay Recipe
One Pot Chicken Curry with Garlic Herb Naan Breads
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...