A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: irritating comments  (Read 37088 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

I Lurve to Craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004 05:35:57 AM »

Ah, they're all just jealous! You have the ability to MAKE SOMETHING with a HOOK....come on that's pretty sweet! As someone who is hopeless at crochet, I know I am jealous! I'm always thinking....can that be done with knitting?  NO!?! DARN!!!!

And Kymberlee-I've just been thinking, what if you went to your LYS and started talking about dominatrix stuff! How funny would that be?

"I think this sparkle tape would make a great harness"......

The ladies at my place would drop their jaws and lock the door the next time they saw me coming! Grin

won't you brighten a wee cat's day?

I don't remember...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004 06:53:29 AM »

Ideas for responses:
"Isn't crocheting/knitting for old people?"   

"No." OR
"It calms the voices."

"Oh weird, your pretty young to be doing that." 

"Such is the curse of the prodigy." OR
"Your pretty old to be saying that."

I haven't encountered this problem that I can remember (i'm 32 btw) BUT if I ever do I'm definitely using these!  Cheesy
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2004 06:54:20 PM »

I crochet, knit, and embroider and get the "old lady" comments all the time... then again I am 30, so in comparison to you all....

I'm also often called a nerd, weird, odd (actually, I'm the only person I know that actually uses the word "odd")... then again I work in a high school and all the kids beg for the beanie hats made by my nerdy, slightly-off, old self.

of course, I don't take many of their comments to heart since they also make fun of me for reading....

the one that drives me nuts is, "you have way too much time"... No, I just know how to spend the time that I have  Smiley

~*~Hyper Kawaii Puff Ball~*~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2004 12:00:08 PM »

hehehe... I haven't had that problem yet... but it seems a lot of people now days just think "traditional crafts" are for old people because they generally see elderly people do it... it's just now days we have so much other stuff... (computers, tvs, cell phones etc) that we don't particulary take interest in the crafts people used to do (they didn't have what we have now... so crafting was something to do for fun and to make something useful/sell)... quoting my classmate from art history class  "Wow look at what they can do without television"(comment about the huge stainglass windows on gothic churches)... so next time someone says "wow aren't you a bit young for that or hey granda" just look at them straight in the eye and say "would you like to say that again or would you like me to crochet your mouth shut?" hehehe... I'm so sinister....

~*~I Fell In Love When I Fell Down The Stairs~*~
a besoin de parler
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2004 05:37:56 PM »

My friend Lucinda and I used to get those comments, too... until our high school's arts festival (I was a freshmen this year, she was a sophmore).  We sold scarves for 12 dollars and bags for 18 dollars, all crocheted and knitted out of eyelash yarn (SO fun) and cheap Red Heart yarn!  We sold out of all of it in four hours.  I don't mind those comments anymore.  I just give them a business card and slyly walk away!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004 06:49:03 PM by a besoin de parler » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy? What candy?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2004 11:43:38 AM »

OK, so, my MOM laughed the other night when I told her about how super fast the scarf I was making was going... I have a new HUGE corchet hook, and I love how fast and cute the stuff I make comes out... I said to her "I'm half way done with the scarf, and I only worked on it for like a half hour before going to sleep!" She started "HEEE HEEE HEEE!! You're such an old lady!! crocheting in bed!!... My own mother... blood of my blood! or... my blood of her blood??

Anywho... Yeah, I'm 27 and a half, and I get the "Boy it must be nice to have THAT much free time", the "Uhm, how OLD did you say you were?", and of course, innevitably, "Oooh!! can you MAKE me one??" To which I say without missing a bit, "You know, there are LOTS of tutorials on line!"

I know it doesn't help that I wear granny reading glasses (they're bitchin' though!) while i work, and that they have an eyeglass chain that I made for them (out of beads, so not really a chain)...

Still, I was always the odd one out, and I enjoy not being part of the masses... So there! come to me with all your smart ass comments, they make me feel special!! 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004 03:00:23 PM by PunCrash » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2004 01:56:56 PM »

of course, I don't take many of their comments to heart since they also make fun of me for reading....

the one that drives me nuts is, "you have way too much time"... No, I just know how to spend the time that I have 

Yeah, and we can multitask. I can knit/crochet (I do both) and reas or watch tv at the same time. Now I will try to master knitting and crocheting and the same time. Grin Just kidding.

The only preson I get called grandma from is my 19 year old brother. Mind him I just turned 13! But he doesn't say anything to my mom when she crochets.Jerk...

Queen Anne Lackhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2004 04:39:41 PM »

My brother calls me spinster when I crochet, but it's only a joke. And I probably do look a little spinster-ish when I'm sitting under a blanket, with a cat on my lap, and crocheting. But you know what? We're all creative people and at least we're doing something. I'd rather spend my free time working on a craft project than playing a video game or watching a movie (not that there's anything wrong with movies or games). But I get a tremendous amount of satisfaction out of my craft projects. It feels really good to wear something I made with my own two hands.

I am a sugar spun electro storm ♥

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2004 12:33:11 PM »

Ha Ha! I'm 15 so  I get a bunch of those! But it doesn't really bother me 'cause I'm gonna do what makes me happy regardless. I remember one time in gym class we were watching a movie and I pulled out my need and some yarn and started working on a bag I was making at the time and this chick behind asks me to knit her some drawers! as in underwear!  Cheesy I CRACKED up!  Cheesy I propably could've made them if I wanted to!

Project 365 Awesome - Day 105: Stars&Dinosaurs&AsianBrides&NEW GOALS
Do I have what it takes to be a successful fashion designer? Well I'm giving myself 365 days to find out...
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2004 10:10:21 AM »

I'm 16 and Ive gotten the weird looks. The thing I hate most, though, is when I bring my chrocheting to school, almost EVERYONE asks "So what're you knitting...?"

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Motion 3: A Complete Overview
Motion 3: Replicators
Final Cut Studio 2: Using Color
Motion 3: Quick Tip on Using Cameras
Motion 3: Butterflies and Lens Flares
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...