A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,631
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I <3 felt swap mach II  (Read 11805 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snacker
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2006 08:06:19 AM »

That owl is amazing!!!!  Great job, Nest!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now have a snack!  Snack on!

etsy

flickr

wists
DragonsMuse
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2006 07:21:30 AM »

Here are the wonderful things I received from PinkMafia:

On top there's the  purse made from a sweater that my camera decided to slaughter There's a large removable flower at the top of the stem, but since it's the same color as the bag it didn't stand out. I'll have to go back a photograph it separately so you all can see how nice it is.
On the bottom row is a leopard print pouch (currently stuffed with some patches).
Next is a wrist cuff with racing stripes.
and finally a sunglass case, now all I need is too find my sunglasses. Thanks Pinkmafia!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now. -John Lennon
Wists
GraceOblivious
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2006 07:52:25 AM »

So many pretty things.  Nest and Pink Mafia lots of great ideas.  Like both bags.  Cool embellishments on both.  Nest, Never thought of stuffing a nut shell!  What a super pin cushion.  Such detailed small stuffies!

Pink Mafia, pouches and accessories are so much fun.

DragonsMuse - ah another who is attracted to those googly eyes.  Great fish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
PinkMafia

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2006 11:15:24 AM »

Yay! I'm glad you liked your stuff Pinkmafia. I hope you don't mind but I wanted to post a pic of the back of the mirror I sent.  I almost kept it because of that little guy, I even named him Bubbles. I <3 googly eyes a little too much.

I must also express my cactus envy. It's so cute. I should make my mom one since I killed her real one. I have a black thumb. (My brother: "Who kills a cactus?" Me: "I do" Cry)

My daughter snatched that immediately and carries it with her everywhere! Its very cute. Thanks so much! I;m glad you liked your stuff.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2006 12:24:27 PM »

.  Jungrrl- I love your stuffies,

Thank you!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lynnidings
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2006 02:40:16 PM »

I've been away on holiday and so didn't get to open my package till late last week. Here's what I got in my felt swap package from GraceOblivious.

It's a sampler with different types of felt. A bar of wet felted soap, a couple of needle felted brooches, a small pouch made with a fulled wool sweater (I'm guessing it's a sweater but it might have been something else), a handbag made with craft felt and a penny rug.

The image on the penny rug is a silhouette of my dog (http://dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=52199). It's a great likeness of him and I love it a lot.

Thanks GraceOblivious, your felt pieces are lovely and I really appreciate all the effort and thought that you put into making the penny rug. It makes me smile everytime I see it.

radal16 and parisgirl, thanks for the compliments on the scarf.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2006 03:21:33 PM »

WOW!!! You are so talented graceoblivious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
corduroy cat
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2006 04:29:03 PM »

beautiful graceo! love the "penny rug"! what is a penny rug anyway? i need to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GraceOblivious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2006 05:20:05 PM »

Oh, actually am so relieved Lynnidings liked what I sent.  Her package to me was so awesome.  I guess we all get rather used to the things we do and much admire folks with other styles.  Thanks Lynnidings, Pink Mafia and Teamwang for those nice and always welcome pats on the back.

And because you asked, Oh OH here comes the historical details.  It was so fun to do the penny rug because that is a craft style that actually originated in American sewing and I could share something very American with Lynnidings over in England.

Depending on the source, penny rugs are said to date back to US Colonial or Civil War times.  Fulled  scraps from garments and blankets, that were no longer in big enough pieces to remodel into garments, were cut in circles (the penny of the time being the pattern piece- about size of a quarter now-a-days).  The shapes were placed on a linen or homespun base fabric and stitched with blanket stitch.  Traditional colors are muted and faded - especially US Civil War Era had much uniform olive drab, blue and gray.  Though called rugs, most were actually table covers or bed covers, the term rug sure has changed over the years.  There was a resurgence of the style in the Craftsman era in the early 1920s.  And there has been another resurgence of primative American Needlecraft - especially here in the US midwest over the last 10 years.  Most are no  longer historically or traditionally correct.  But the wool on wool relatively simple style is pleasing and feels so nice.  My work in penny rugs is a bit of a mix of old and new.

The wools for this were reminents from a thrift store, pieces inheritated from a 94 yo's stash, an some scraps from my recent wool purchases.  They were fulled in the washing machine.   Luck was with me as my hands were able to craft the idea that was in my head.  That sometimes is an intesting challenge.  As things do not always turn out.  Of course that wonderful picture of Lynnidings' canine family member and their story, set the tone and inspired me greatly.

I love it when a swap partner shares a bit about themselves because then I really get into making something special for them.  Thanks so much Lynnidings.  This has been a great swap for me - both getting and sending.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2006 05:25:57 PM by GraceOblivious » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2006 06:26:54 PM »

GraceOblivious, the penny rug is awesome...and even more so because of the fascinating historical details you provided along with it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2016
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Stamp - Markers
How to Make Soap - An Easy Cleanup
Fusing Glass
How to Fuse Glass - How to Choose the Correct Glass
How to Fuse Glass - Cutting the Base Glass
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...