A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 311,382
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kindergarten Valentines Party Ideas  (Read 38068 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hugs-n-bugs
I'm better than Martha, well almost.

Have glue gun, will travel...

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2006 06:49:17 PM »

I am my sons Room mom and I am in charge of their Valentines Party.  I need some ideas of things to do for a class I am great at birthday parties but all of a sudden I am feeling overwhelmed for a K party, I teach preschoola nd those parties are easy at my preschool parties my kids cannot do much but these  kindergarteners can and want to do stuff and I have at least an hour to fill.  I bought Heart cake pans and I ma making a bunch of those in white and chocolate so they can frost and decorate, at one table but we will have 2 more tables and of things they can do or make and a game or 2 they can play.  I was thinking of maybe securing glass votive holders an dletting them oaint their thumbs on it and writing on them ahead of time thumbody loves you or doing a picture frame like that, any other ideas good  of something they can make prefereably that will not cost a lot to buy the supplies as I have to send out a supply list to the parents ahead of time and I do not want any parent to have to pay over $5 for something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for fellow craftsters to share ideas with!
http://www.myspace.com/giggles1100
Chicky
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006 04:20:29 AM »

First, hooray for you, Hugs, for your commitment to your son.  Room parent ranks as one of the top thankless and toughest jobs in school, eh?

Speaking from experience (my son is in 4th grade) ask your teacher for a 10 minute meeting to find out her expectations.  Are you really in control or does she have strong preferences?  What I would find out from her:
1.   Is the hour all yours?
2.   Is it at the end of the school day?  Makes cleanup much easier if    you can stay after school to take out the trash.
3.   How helpful are your parents?  Do they have time and no money?     Money and no time?  How many volunteers you gather depends on    how involved your crafts and games are during the party.  The    teacher wants to grade papers, not help with the party.
Party thoughts:
1.   I love the thumbody loves you theme, but please use construction    paper hearts, not glass.  Everyone will be on edge waiting for an    accident.  Die cut a bunch of heart for them to glue and paste,    glitter, beads, etc.  Kids love working on the floor with kraft paper    underneath.
2.   Decorating food - do not offer a choice of two flavors.  White is fine.     Use kraft paper under the stations and have enough parents to    keep fingers out of the bowls.
3.   Use the cupcake/marble idea in this forum.  A cake is too
overwhelming.  Are they expected to take it home?  How?
""heart shaped cupcakes made with marbles, yes marbles! simple tutorial""                                                                         
4.   Be specific with parents for food items.  List your preferences by    brand.  Are you an organic buff?  Find a parent that shares those    beliefs and ask them to bring the expensive stuff.  A couple of fruit    and veggie trays and cookies should be plenty.
5.   Musical chairs with Beach Boys or Do-wop is hilarious.  Ask a parent    to take pictures.

Those are my humble thoughts...have a super party!!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006 06:07:38 AM by Chicky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved.

Barbara Johnson
callakat
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006 04:49:44 AM »

If you want something stronger than construction paper, try fun foam.  It's great, and it will also go through the die cut machine that most schools have.  I like the votive option, and I'm not sure you would have too much danger of breaking- after all, the fall off a K table isn't more than 18 inches.  If you want a cheaper option, find out if anyone has a baby.  Baby food jars are just as cute, especially with a little red ribbon tied around the top. Have fun!  As a teacher, I must say, a room parent who wants to plan, rather than just show up (or not show up after saying you will) is AWESOME!  You're an angel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I could pick one word to describe myself, it would probably be Fluffy Puff Marshamallows... or Homestar. Either one, really.  They both fit.
Sarahs_Crafts

Llama, llama, llama, duck.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006 10:55:34 AM »

This is what we did every year when I was little at school.

Get to school
-Make valentine bags to hang off your desk or to hang onto or something.
-Hand out valentines
-Read valentines
-Giggle
-Eat candy
-Giggle some more
-Have cupcakes
And wow an hour is up!

Really...handing out valentines will take a long time. And the bags give them a craft to do. Fun fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smrfchic
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006 11:24:21 AM »

I would make up a list of the ideas you have, and go over it with the teacher. Let her give you some input on what she would like to see.  Try to incorporate a bit of learning into it as welll ~ do the children do a journal page each day? If so, let the kids that finish early work on a Valentine's page for their journal (you know, draw a picture, write a sentence underneath... Like "I Love...." at the top of the page... they draw a picture and underneath, they write.... depending on the skill level, some children may be doing letter strings - "JKLMAOP" that mean nothing, others may be doing first letter writing - "ILU" means I love you, and others maybe writing "full" sentences - "i love my famly."). How about Valentine's Day coloring pages?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
hugs-n-bugs
I'm better than Martha, well almost.

Have glue gun, will travel...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006 01:00:51 PM »

Oh thanks for reminding me about baby food jars I did the Votive holders out of baby food jars 3 years ago.  I know I will have total control and the teacher will help and I will only have about 3 parents help me.  We played musical chairs at Christmas, they loved that we may do that one again.  I ought to find something to do with the foam heart I can buy a bucket of them from Walmart for 3 bucks , maybe let them make a card to go with their votive to give mom and dad.

I just love this place you all make me feel so good about being a room mom!

Oh yeah and the hert shaped cake pan that I bought make heart shaped sized cupcakes, sorry for the confusion.  and youa re right, just white cake would be easier....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for fellow craftsters to share ideas with!
http://www.myspace.com/giggles1100
miffy
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006 08:50:12 PM »

What if they made picture frames for their parents? Maybe get small picture frames (about a dollar at craft stores) and have them paint/decorate them and put their picture in there before they get sent home. You'd be able to use foam hearts to decorate them... I'd suggest glitter, but that's a little too messy. Maybe glitter glue? At our preschool, we make Valentine "books" every year. Each student gets one and they have to write (or we write it for them) one thing they like about each of their classmates. It's meant to teach them that love isn't just for your family, it's for your friends too.
I really like the mini cake idea. We did that two years ago and it went over VERY well. Pretty much anything with frosting is great in the mind of a little kid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovelyislacey
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006 01:31:39 PM »

Check out http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/specialfeature/valentines_gifts_ms/

They have a bunch of ideas for classroom valentine parties and  party crafts

also check out http://www.orientaltrading.com/otcweb/application?namespace=browse&origin=mainLevelLandingPage.jsp&event=link.browse&categoryId=342765&link=ml they have some cute ideas too for pretty cheap If you could ask the paretnts for a few dollars instead of asking them to pick up some supplies. They have a cute little glue together foam sheet gorilla heart catch game craft kit for only 4.95 per unit and their are 12 kits in a unit so with 10 bucks you could have 24 kits.

Hope this helps Grin
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006 02:20:11 PM by lovelyislacey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dharmadog
a.k.a. "Cheaterpants".

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006 08:13:42 AM »

Hi! Go, room mom, go!! I'm a Montessori school assistant and work with 3-5 year olds. With the cold weather here making it impossible to go outside some days, we've already started our Valentine crafts after lunch. Here's some things that work well:

1. First, the cakes are a good idea, but please be sure to check with the teacher first regarding any food allergies in the class. Some cake and cookie mixes are processed on the same equipment that processes nuts, and some children (we have 3 in our class of 22) are so allegic to tree nuts or peanuts that even a trace amount of the oli can cause an allergic reaction. There may also be wheat or dairy allergies, and you don't want to explain to a 3 year old why he's the only one who can't have a cake. Cupcakes are fast and you can bake a bunch of vanilla ones at once (some children don't like chocolate). I made a bunch of thme and then brough vanilla icing and let them watch me turn in red and pink with food coloring, and let them frost it and put on sprinkles. Watch out for plastic knives--some kids try to lick the icing off by shoving th knife in their mouth and can cut their tongue. They can use them, but explain first not tomlick the knives and why. Or let them frost with spoons. We also made heart-shapes sugar cookies and did the same thing.

2. Fun foam IS fabulous. You can get strips of magnets at the craft store. Let kids decorate small fun foam hearts with glitter and put magnets on the back to take home for the fridge. The magnets are self-sticking--you'll have to help them start peeling the paper back.

3. I kept 2 tables of 5 year olds busy for an hour with collage. I took all my leftover unusual papers from scrapbooking and cut out hearts. I also put out glue sticks, small disjes of glitter, and shiny ribbon bits 9basically, anything I had left over in the craft closet. I told them to make Valentines. Every 5 minutes or so I would add a dish of sequins, or different papers, or stickers, or construction paper, and the addition of a new material made them want to make another valnetine with the new stuff. I found some leftover brads and showed them how to use brads, and they got really excited making things spin (have an extra parent on hand to help with brads--they have trouble putting thme through the paper themselves.)  Have a space reserved to let things dry, there will be lots of glue on those valentines!! The kids LOVED any paper with a texture or a print on it. Some of them made Valentine people! Caution: those little plastic rhinestones? I guarantee there will be one little girl who declares they are "diamonds" and tries to take them all. Fights will break out. Either have a lot of them or dole them out so it's fair. Bits of velvet, felt or other scrap material you have in your sewing bin will be a big hit. You don't have to cut them in advance...the children will do that. Punch a hole in the top of the Valentine if they want and add a ribbon hanger.

I also stapled a few sheets of paper together or red and pink construction paper and told them to make Valentine "books". They were about 6" by 6", so there was plenty of room to cut and paste. They love books, so it went very well!

We also took paper bags to make cupid puppets. I put out large feathers from the craft store to glue on as wings to the back, and lengths of ribbon or string  for hair and large google eyes. They love making them and then spend a good 10 minutes making them talk to each other.\

If your school has a laminator, we also had the children draw or collage placemat-sized peices of paper and then ran them through the laminator to make Valentine's placemats. They got to use them to eat their lunch on, and were really excited.

Another idea is a Valentine's snack table. If it's early in the day you might want to avoid a lot of sugary foods or those little ones will be bouncing off the walls all afternoon. We made a special station with a Valentine's Day tablecloth (a peice of material from Joanne's) and some Valentine's napkins, cups, and paper plates. We let students make quesadillas (they sprinkled cheese on a tomato or spinach tortilla and folded it over) and toasted them in a toaster oven (or, if your school has a cafeteria, you could do several at once in the oven.)  We put out carrot and celery sticks and put some dip in a heard-shaped bowl (they got to spoon the dip onto paper plates). We also had grapes in a bowl. You can also spread jam on bread and let them cut it out with a heart-shaped cookie cutter. Everything we served had a little card in front with a number that said how many you could take--1 bread, 5 grapes, 3 carrots, etc., so it also worked as a counting exercise.

We also tried getting tiny clay flowerpots from the stire and letting them decorate those with collage items. We put a votive in each one and they took it home as a present for mom!

Hope this helps!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For crafty madness and general musings, visit my blog:
http://eatingtacoswhiledriving.blogspot.com/

Shop to help the animals! View handmade items by Rabbit Moon Artworks at http://www.craftersforcritters.com/index.php
Tinted
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006 10:33:53 AM »

I think Sarahs Crafts had a wonderful idea with the paperbag valentine holder. I did this in school for many years too. You could use the fun foam to decorate the paperbag and some valentines cards.
As for games, you could always do a valentines themed Bingo, and have small dollar tree trinkets for prizes.
To incorporate learning in your party, teach the kids sign language phrases, like "I love you", or "be mine", or something along those lines. The teacher probably has a good sign language book you can use, and the kids will love to go home and show mom and dad that they learned a new language.
You could also do some kind of a sing-along, not sure of any valentines songs, but try google for some music.
Hope this helps, and have a wonderful party Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Homemade Chinese Dumplings
How to Make American Sushi
Braised Bean Sprouts
Frozen Bean Curd Soup With Shrimps
Shrimp and Chicken Dumplings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...