A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
706 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yes, it's a circle skirt--with flying octopodes!!!  (Read 9938 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2006 05:52:58 PM »

so for some reason or another i got it into my head i needed to make clothes for myself, in particular a silly skirt, and after many hours and many fabric stores later, i procured this amazing print at joann's for $1.20 a yard.  yay!

a late night of crafting, and ta-da!

the waistband is even, but i have lopsided hips, so skirts tend to hang a little off on me.

fly, octopodes, fly!

the fabric was only 45" wide and i wanted a traditional waistband with a zipper, so i sorta made up my own circle-skirt method.  it was still really easy, even the hemming.

--SEMI TUTORIAL--

you will need:
--compass (the drawing type) or string and a pencil
--ruler or measuring tape
--large piece of paper.  i used butcher paper, which you can find at craft or teaching supply stores, or if you've got a kid in school they can probably procure some from the library.  taped newspaper will also work
--7"-9" invisible zipper
--fabric (3 yards will more than did it for me, but if you want exacts, take the length of the paper from step 5, double it, and that's how much fabric you'll need.)
--sewing stuff

1.  measure your hips/waist, depending where you want the skirt to sit.

2.  take your measurement and divide by 2, then by 3.14.  this gives you the radius of your measurement.

3.  subtract your seam allowance from the number you got in step 2.  you'll have a long decimal, but do your best in figuring out what fraction it's closest to.

4.  decide how long you want your skirt to be.  don't forget to add seam allowance at both ends and account for the waistband.

5.  this is the last math part, and then you can get on to drawing and sewing.  double the skirt length from step 4 and add it to the doubled radius from step 3.  this is how much butcher paper you need to roll out.

6.  find the center of your paper and mark a dot 5/8" (or whatever your seam allowance is) up from the long edge.

7.  using either your compass or the old pencil and string method and the dot you just marked as the center, draw an arc using the radius from step 3.  take your skirt length from step 4, add it to the radius from step 3, and use this measurement to make a larger arc the same way.  congrats, you now have your pattern!

8.  cut 2 of your pattern piece from your fabric, and pin them right sides together.

9.  sew one of the straight edges completely, and sew the other up about halfway from the bottom.

10. cut out your waistband.  this is just a rectangle the length of your waist/hips and double the width you want.  don't forget to add the seam allowance on all four edges!

11.  press the waistband in half, wrong sides together.

12.  pin the waistaband to the skirt, matching the halfway point to the fully sewn side seam in the skirt.

13.  sew the the waistband.

14.  you should now have an almost finished skirt with a slit on one side.  install the zipper like the package says in this slit.

15.  almost there!  the only thing left to do is hem.  i marked 5/8" all the way around the bottom of the skirt while it was flat on the table, then folded the bottom edge up to that line, then over again.  to sew, i just used a wide zig-zag and pulled the fabric straight as i went along.

16. sew a hook and eye above the zipper if desired, then put on your skirt and twirl like mad!

here's how to draw the pattern:

sorry if it's too tiny, but that's as big as photobucket or craftster images will let me make it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006 02:05:33 PM by determinedimprovisation » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gnomesrock
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006 05:54:38 PM »

That fabric is amazing!   What a fun skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rubyflame
I am the Lizard Queen!

Helium balloons tempt me.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006 05:55:43 PM »

wow. great skirt.

...octopodes...eh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And then my heart                      
with pleasure fills                
and dances with the daffodils
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006 05:58:45 PM »

i wanted a pet octopus, so i did lots of research on them, and it turns out octopodes is the super-correct plural, but octopuses is also acceptable.  just not octopi, because you can't mix latin and greek or some such thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rubyflame
I am the Lizard Queen!

Helium balloons tempt me.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006 06:00:50 PM »

good to know  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And then my heart                      
with pleasure fills                
and dances with the daffodils
Sweetttart3

Tea and Cake or Death

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006 09:20:28 PM »

I love this skirt and adore your fabric. I too just bought a ton of cute fabric that I had no idea what to do with. Now I do.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn the man, Save the Empire!

http://www.wists.com/Sweetttart3

I wanna personal swap!
orange_sunset

I found myself! ...Now where'd I put the scissors?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006 09:23:17 PM »

Skirt is bloody awsome- and the title: priceless. I was all "huh? oh I *have* to look!"

Much love for the fun skirt!

Edit: ehehehe- SKIRT not shirt.. My fingers moved on their own.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006 11:55:40 AM by orange_sunset » THIS ROCKS   Logged

grapefruiit
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006 09:48:57 PM »

hahaha that is such cute fabric! and thank you for the information on the plural thing hehe ... octopodes.........
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Poldalle
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006 10:03:53 PM »

I love how the waistband looks. What did you do that was different from a normal circle skirt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onecraftybitch
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006 08:14:42 AM »

That skirt is great! I love the fabric too!

I too would love to know how your skirt is different that a regular circle skirt. Where is the zipper? It looks like it is on the side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - File Naming Inside the Bridge
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Manage Your Images
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Showing Off New Features
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to View Thumbnail Metadata and Labeling
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Filmstrip View
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...