A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 303,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stripping painted over wallpaper trim?  (Read 713 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
green monk
« on: January 04, 2006 05:06:32 PM »

soooo, my sister and i took on this big project of making our house look not crappy! the kitchen is first to change, because it is heinous (white with off-blue sponginess and a spongy heart border :s).  whoever it was that painted the hearts decided they would just paint over a wallpaper trim! not only that, but they used tape as a patch job over a quarter of the trim and as a patch job over some lighting fixture holes :s

i asked the people at the paint store how to get that off, they said to use one of those puncture tools and the gel junk, but that doesnt work.  in fact, that stuff didnt even work on REGULAR wallpaper, so my personal advice to anyone stripping wallpaper, just use vinegar!!!  it absorbs much quicker and you get more for your money!! and it airs out quickly, so dont worry too much about the vinegar scent lingering.

anyhow, we are trying to scrape it off but that isnt going to work for the whole thing :s the places where the adhesive didnt work, those are the places we can get off, otherwise, its stuck as cement :s

the whole area looks rediculous now... we can barely make a dent in it :s

im wondering if anyone has done this before? or if you can think of something that might work?

for now, back to scraping Tongue

Pollyanna On Speed
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006 03:00:27 AM »

I'm looking to remove the wallpaper from my bedroom walls and stumbled across your post.
This thread may help you http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=20199.0

Let me know how you go as I only have permission to change my room if I approach the owner (my parents) with proof that I have researched each project and the costs. Smiley
green monk
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006 07:46:35 AM »

hey, thanks for the reply! i know how the research stuff goes Tongue i used to have to do that to even approach my parents about anything! 

well, we have that dif stuff however, its not working wonders for us :S i dont know what kind of wall paper you have, but in my sisters room its vinal..er, im not sure how thats spelled, but the plastic-y, water resistant kind. we punctured it with the swivel tool, and sprayed the blue stuff on and it didnt do anything. actually, we had to pull off the top layer of wall paper, because nothing was going through.  if you have regular paper, the dif might work, but im going to recommend using vinegar! its wicked cheap, comes in a huge bottle, and it worked like a charm when we put it on the adhesive.  the blue stuff worked too, but you have to let it sit and soak in for 20 minutes!! and then scrape it off, where as with the vinegar, you can just rub it on a section with a sponge then go back and peel it off immediatly. the smell isnt too strong either, if you buy diluted vinegar or just dilute it yourself. ours says it has a 5% acidity.

here are some good guidelines about the process, if you are still working on that. the little round scoring tools, i would recommend that, because then you wont ruin your walls, which im currently doing. and a scraper, thats not a bad idea if you value your hands. but i would save my money by not buying special removal products unless its really not coming off. 

if you come across anything that says how to get the painted over part off, please share! ive looked, and pretty much it says you have to scrape it :s which is NOT fun Tongue  and also, not working.

good luck convincing your parents!

Pollyanna On Speed
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006 08:15:39 AM »

Thanks for the advice.
If I find anything I will let you know.

I love that I still have to do all this for my parents, but I guess that it is there house and they don't want me to run out of money half way through and not finish.

There is a bit here on painting over wallpaper glue (I know its not exactly your problem but it may help)
The suggestions are:
"There is no GOOD way. I can't say that I've had this same experience, but some ideas that I would consider are heat gun or paint stripping heat plate, wall paper steamer, plain old scraper, liquid paint striper applied with a course sponge (lots of newspapers, rubber gloves and ventilation) and last choice: big hammer. These are in no particular order of preference, although I might try the steamer first as heat and moisture is bad news for both the paint and the paste. Good luck."

You might also try the replies in this thread.

Hope it goes well.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006 02:17:38 PM »

First off....I'd like to comment that if you have "vinyl" wallpaper...the paper is going to come off in two layers....the first being that vinyl that you can usually just pull off without any kind of prepping...and the second is the backing layer which is paper and you will need to "re-wet" it to get it to come off.  Whether that is with a commercial product or not is up to you.  I personally have just used hot water and vineygar and been pretty successful.

I have only had one experience with stripping paper that didn't want to come off...and yes it was a bear!!  Literally....a bear border that was 18" wide that was applied all the way around the middle part of the wall!  It took me three days of peeling "little piece by little piece"...like you said, "as best you can".  I don't know what the other homeowners had used to apply that paper with...but it was definitely stuck!
green monk
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006 04:38:35 PM »

haha!  Cheesy yeah, thats what it looks like iis going to happen.  too bad it wasnt something good looking! then we could have left it up Tongue oh well! wallpapered to last!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear a Printed Skirt from Day to Night
How to Rock a Flared Sleeve Jacket
Wedding Guest Outfit Choices
The Bikini Turns 69
Best Lace Up Summer Sandals for Under $100
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Acorn Squash
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...