A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,146
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where To Hide The Negatives? .. A Challenge For All You Gifted Craftsters!!  (Read 560 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

__jagger_ish
« on: January 04, 2006 04:48:17 PM »

"HELP!

Yes that's me, crying for help. 

I love to take pictures, therefore I have billions from the days that my mom wouldnt let me use her digital camera  Wink ... Anywhoo, what burden comes with developed photos?  That's right, you guessed it ... NEGATIVES!!  Sure, they're great for if you ever need to get backup prints (but then again, when do we ever do that?!  I mean, thats what double-prints are apparently for!). 

Now my cry for help is "WHERE OH WHERE DO I STORE THEM?!"

Your mission (please choose to accept it!) is to help me figure out how to store my negatives in a crafty way.  Post your ideas here, it would be much appreciated ...

... I thought this would be a great place for a thread of this sort so that the answers may help any other fellow crafty photographers/scrapbookers like moi.

Much thanks in advanced;
Andrea (a.k.a __jagger_ish)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meanbean
Naughty, with a pinch of Nice for a good bite

The Means To Hold Your Beans

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006 04:52:31 PM »

The first thing that comes to mind for me is to construct a box, perhaps from cereal boxes or the like, with a lift off lid.  Cover the outside however you like, and then hot glue or something the interior with soft, non-fuzzy fabric like muslin.  I wouldn't staple it on, because the staples could catch or scratch the negatives.  You could make a hinged lid with a little strap hanging off the front and a snap on the end.  Is that confusing?  I mean a little snap to close the lid to the box, so that in general movement it wouldn't accidentally come open.

Oh oh!  A shoebox would be much better for such a project!!  Or an old recipe box.  Or a hatbox would be stylin. 

Heh, I like boxes Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006 04:52:59 PM »

get negative sleeves from a photo store (an 8 1/2 x 11 has about 6 or 8 slots) and connect them with o rings and you have either a room divider,  a bit of wall art or a reall cool sunscreen for your windows.

edit: the sleeves are clear plastic that go in a three ring binder. just incase you weren't sure
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006 04:54:32 PM by redstar13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

meanbean
Naughty, with a pinch of Nice for a good bite

The Means To Hold Your Beans

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006 04:56:55 PM »

oh oh oh !  You could frame them, kind of like a mat on top of a mat around a picture.  I guess it really depends on if you're looking to display them, or to store them in case of future desire to print more pics.

If you're wanting to display them, you could laquer them (or whatever, I don't know how flammable laquer is) to the outside of a lampshade

You could make a collage of individual squares - you could pour resin over them and make negative coasters - you could pour resin over them and make square/strip magnets/pins - you could scan them in and print them onto fabric and make cool purses/clothes out of the images
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006 04:58:02 PM »

i like the resin idea. I really need to get my resin out and start playing with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006 05:09:53 PM »

If you're just thinking storage, it's not so crafty, but I usually put them in an envelope, which I glue into the back of the corresponding photo album.  Makes it easy to find the right sleeve of negatives if/when I want reprints.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ktgotskills
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006 05:27:09 PM »

oh man.. i don't have much experience with negatives, but i had a slide projecter slide on hand once and i thought it would be really cool to plaster them onto this old-ish flourescent-kinda light we have in our kitchen. its got a smooth plastic cover so it woudn't make any weird designs on them.

i think any way to hang them up, probably not all at once cause it sounds like you have a lot, would be really cool. window shades or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://doveknit.blogspot.com
Started a knitting blog.
Laney

You could be as hated as me if you only tried.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006 12:06:56 PM »

For negatives, I go out and buy some cheap, but stylish, frames. Then I put several of the strips in each frame, arranging them however I want. Then, I hang the frames, each with about 2-5 negative strips (depending on the frame sizes) in a cluster on the wall. Sometimes, I'll get really small frames and put only one strip in per frame. But, that's me. I personally like the look of negatives, especially as art.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are people who have money
and there are people who are rich.
--Coco Chanel
__jagger_ish
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006 05:42:09 PM »

wow! you guys are awesome, i love craftster ... sure my cry for help wasn't very crafty, i mean, it's just storage we're talking here ... ! ... i think i'll go with a "stylin'" shoebox, lol, hey, i like boxes too (my friends and i used to believe our grade 8 science teacher lived in one! teehee good times) ... well, this thread can end itself if it wants, i came looking and i found, lol, thank you guys!

*andrea*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Moneypenny

yeup... crochet is officially paying for my gas.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006 02:20:33 PM »

All I can say is that if you want to take the box approach, you might want to avoid cardboard... unless it's acid and lignin free (the things that turn pictures yellow).  It's an easy way to ruin negatives, especially if their going to be in a box for long time storage.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I tried to come up with something clever to put here.  Poo.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Short Hair Makeovers For Fall
How To Take Care of Hair Extensions
How to Do the Perfect Sleek Blowout at Home
The Risks of Using a Hair Relaxer
Va Va Voom! This 1960s Hair Embodies Grace And Glamour
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...