A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tissue Paper Windows (with tutorial!!!)  (Read 4158 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fly

Okie Dokie Artichokie!

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2004 01:19:39 PM »

Two packages tissue paper ....  $1.50 at Fred's
One bottle of liquid starch ....   $1.79 at Fred's
One package foam brushes ....  $0.89 at Fred's

Davidson County, TN sales tax... $0.39

Finishing a craft project that gives a totally new look to a room in under 30 minutes.... PRICELESS

There are some things money CAN buy... For everything else, there's a CRAFTER....

Okay... So I don't have pics because I don't have a digital camera, but I'm trying to find a before picture from rent.com's site of the apts...

http://www.rent.com/media/property/432806/511327_w.jpg
If you look at that pic (not of my building - my building is blue), you can see a patio like mine and if you look at the right side you can see on the window how the doors are sectioned off.  The next pic is a little better view of how it's sectioned off...
http://www.rent.com/media/property/432806/511575_w.jpg

Anyway......

Step 1:
Buy Supplies... You'll need tissue paper and liquid starch and a good pair of scissors and a foam brush and a measuring something or other, so go out and buy anything you don't have, and find anything else you might need.

Step 2:
Measure and Cut tissue paper...
If you're doing it like I did, my doors (and windows for that matter) are marked off in grids, so I did a solid piece of tissue paper for every section, so I needed 20 13.5x15" squares. My tissue paper came in packs of five colors, so I did four pieces of each color.  It took me two packs of tissue... My windows were 1/2 an inch too large for me to get two squares on one piece...  Don't worry about the folds that are there from the packaging.  You'll not notice any of them when you are done.  NOTE: Make sure your scissors are SHARP or else they'll eat through the tissue paper instead of cutting it well

Step 3:
Get Messy.
Okay, well, not terribly messy, but watch out for drips!  I used a foam brush to brush on one square at a time and then stick the tissue paper on.  When You stick it on, DON'T PUSH IT DOWN.  It's likely to tear.  Place it up where you need it but don't really touch it to the window, then move it closer and press GENTLY in one or two spots... It's kinda like spilling water on paper, the paper will suck up the water.... Well, this does the same thing.  You'll get a few air bubbles but LEAVE THEM until the next step.  If you need to reposition any piece, do it quick.  Don't wait for more than a few seconds, or you'll start to rip it.  NOTE: Here's a part where you can really be lazy, and it's kinda bad if you are.  Because of the way my doors were, I wanted each verticle column to have one of each square and no color to touch itself in any way.  Draw a chart out on paper and plan where each color is going or else you'll have problems.  It's very hard to plan a scheme when you're doing it randomly on the glass already. 

Step 4:
The top coat goes on now.  When I did it, I did step 3 one square at a time and then did step 4 one column at a time.  Just like decoupage, you need to go over it.  Also, with this application, it gives a really cool effect..  Doing the top coat effectively presses down the tissue paper to the glass, and it helps coat it and protect it.  ALSO, any tissue paper creases that are in there will become more defined, and it creates a type of crackle glass effect., which gives the paper a little texture and makes it more visually appealing.

Anyway, I'm done.  I'm going to go back when it gets a little dryer and look for places that the tissue didn't get cut right and fill it in, but other than that, I'm finished.

Oh, also, I used pastels so it wouldn't be as "obnoxious" from outside (as my mother put it), but I went out my door and looked from my patio and it just kinda looked frosted.  You almost can't tell what color is what from outside.  Not sure if you could tell better if it were only one layer of glass (my doors have two because the dividers are in between them)... I would have liked it brighter from outside, but I like it soft from the inside.   Plus I looked in from outside when I had only done one door and you could only see shadows of stuff through the tissue, but you could totally see in through gaps in the slats of the blinds, which I think I'm totally removing because they don't work right and were broken when we moved in.

But, since my door is in line with the parking lot, I needed it to diffuse light and then to also give me privacy so I can change in my room. 

If anyone's curious, here's the floor plan of my apt... The patio is fenced in, but it's like 8' from the parking lot.
http://www.rent.com/media/property/432806/481042_w.gif
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011 07:45:56 PM by PixieVal - Reason: removed broken image tags » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who hold on to broken dreams often get cut by their sharp edges.
Demeter

Breaking Some Bad Habits

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004 02:23:29 PM »

That sounds interesting.  But being that you live in an apartment, I assume that the paper must come down if you decide to move.  How difficult is it to remove?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassafras

The Sassy Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004 02:41:19 PM »

Way cool idea! I have a door that needs something like this. I'd seen those expensive "stained glass" paints and I'd also considered using frosted acetate, but it's expensive too. Tissue paper and liquid starch -- a brilliant idea, and cheap to boot! I'm gonna have to try it. Thanks for sharing your idea with us.

**rushes to grocery store to buy liquid starch**  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '....................................................................')
           <<  www.sassycrafter.com  >>
                     crafty repurposing
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '....................................................................')
fly

Okie Dokie Artichokie!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004 03:19:11 PM »

I've been told that you wet it and then scrape it off...   I'm sure it's messy and time consuming, but not permanant, which is all that matters.

Oh, and I checked on it just over an hour after I had finished and it was totally dry and it gets darker as it dries so I can see the colors from my patio now.. I've not yet been to the parking lot to see if I can see them from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Those who hold on to broken dreams often get cut by their sharp edges.
Elwood

I am the Llama Queen!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004 01:56:59 PM »

fly- You always have the greatest ideas and thoughts...you rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silvrgoat

I'm not a llama.. I'm a goat!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004 02:08:50 PM »

Too bad you don't have a camera - I would love to see how it turned out! I live in an apartment too, and am restricted on what I can do to the place (= nothing!) I've just learned about this starch idea and am dying to try it, but I'm not sure how my live-in boyfriend will take to it! Maybe if I do it in "guy" colors it won't be so bad, and since you can remove it without (hopefully) too much trouble it would be worth a shot. Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragadyanne400

Am I a llama?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004 03:13:41 PM »

you can find pictures of a similar project here and here. I want to do this when I get a place of my own, it's so cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft-matic
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004 07:16:12 AM »

Hi there-

For all the people who wanted to do this project but don't have appropriate windows/permission/enough light as it is, here's an idea.  I had a row of six photos (from the internet) in plain black metal frames.  Well, the photos are nice, but it's time for a change.  So I cut shapes out of different colors of tissue paper and starched them to the frame glass.  I found that the spray starch worked best.  I also was able to get a sense of depth in the picture by starching the background paper to the back of the glass after the image on the front had dried.  The two I have finished are flowers (sixties-mod daisies on one and stylized flowers on the other) in shades of lavendar, orange and green.  They match the repro poppies I used to upholster my living room 'settee'.  I'm going to make more as soono as I get tissue in the right colors.  Sorry i can't post pictures...no camera  Undecided  But I'm well pleased with how they came out.  Now I just need inspiration for the images in the remaining frames.  If anybody has links to good repro fabric outlets, they are good inspirations, so please send them my way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Stylish Yarn Bangle Bracelets
Best Dressed Celebrities: Kate Hudson, Blake Lively, Alessandra Ambrosio
Retail Stores That Offer Student Discounts
China Is The Fastest Growing Luxury Market
Kate Middleton Rocks the Burgundy Trend for Fall
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...