A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fifties-esque polka-dot top with peter pan collar :)  (Read 8014 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jasfitz

nobody's little weasel

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2006 08:49:31 PM »

After all this time I've been here commenting on things, putting in my two cents, using wonderful tutorials, I'm finally posting a project! 'Bout time! I just never seem to get around to it.
In this case, I couldn't help myself, as I received a serger for christmas, and this project is my very first experimentation with it!

It's my own pattern, but I didn't really draft it or anything... I never really do. i tend to throw caution into the wind. In any case it's full of first tries for all sorts of fun stuff! I haven't been making clothing since high school, and that was some time ago, so I'm feeling rather accomplished. I didn't really know what the proper term for that kind of round-lapel collar would be. anyone?

I'm very pleased how this baby came out. Note the not-so-very-puffy-puffed sleeves, the buttons that serve no real purpose, and the incorporated...er.... sash-thing. Isn't the fabric cute?!

For my next try, I'm looking forward to getting a little more creative/mischievious/venturing into the deeper end. Any suggestions or constructive criticism would be welcome!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009 03:32:17 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. - don't mind me! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jasfitzdotcom - goods that make you giggle!
spydie
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006 08:56:19 PM »

thats really cute! what tutes did you use?

the only thing i don't thing really fits is the tie sash thing.  I think it would look alot better with it just hemmed at the bottom...but thats just my opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frubaloo

Go flexibility.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006 08:59:12 PM »

I love that! It looks very 50'sish, which is cool because I hardly see clothing like that anymore. The buttons and collar add a great touch! Looks nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
Personal Site | Email | AIM: Frubaloo
gnomesrock
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006 08:59:34 PM »

That's a really cute shirt.  And, I've heard it called a Peter Pan collar, but I don't know if that's an official type name for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ms.cate
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006 09:00:15 PM »

Very lovely! Is the shirt made from t shirt fabric? I think you call the collar a peter pan collar :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jasfitz

nobody's little weasel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006 09:08:13 PM »

Ahhhh, Peter Pan Collar! Thanks, I was racking my brain for the term, but just wasn't coming up with it.

I didn't use any tutes for this item, actually, I was referring to purse/wallet tutes, and the general usage of general tutes. in general Cheesy This was all just made up as I went along.

I definitely had a hard time deciding what I wanted to do with the bottom. I'm pretty happy with the sash thing. I felt like it just didn't feel pulled together until i added it. But I agree now that it also would have worked without it. Maybe better!

Yeah, I picked up the fabric today, I think it's just plain old printed jersey (t-shirt) fabric. it was my first time working with stretchy fabric. i was a little nervous, but it went without a hitch!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jasfitzdotcom - goods that make you giggle!
battersea
Confidence-a-plenty

One awesome album artwork, if I say so myself.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006 09:21:03 PM »

That looks lovely.  Maybe if you just put a strip of white fabric at the bottom (like the sleeves are done)  That way, the bow wouldn't take away from the rest of your top.  I still think it is nice though.  All you need now is a poodle skirt.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If Hanes new t-shirts are tagless, then why does the side tag bother me at the end of the day?!?!"
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006 09:52:15 PM »

Well done!  My guess is that that is a Peter Pan collar.  My only suggestion is to keep on with it because it would be a shame to waste the perfect combination of talent and serger!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006 10:20:29 PM »

I love it. I really need to practice my sleeve making skills. Do you have any tips.?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
rumble_pie
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006 10:48:58 PM »

nice work!  looks like something you'd pay way too much for at anthropologie (you know that place?)  like i think someone else said, you might consider keeping the contrasting bottom trim but losing the bow, especially if you ever duplicated this in a "busier" pattern...but i don't mind the bow here, i like it.

the sleeves came out just puffy enough so two thumbs up there!  i don't know if you'd be able to acheieve that in a heavier weight fabric, but it'd look brilliant on a corduroy jacket, styled sort of like a denim jacket only with a more fitted waist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glass Blowing: How to Marver
Glass Blowing: How to Gather
Glass Blowing: How to Re-Gather
Glass Blowing: How Color Is Applied
Pottery: How to Make a Planter Pot
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...