A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 307,598
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pop can embellished earring holder frame? (image heavy)  (Read 4704 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xcrunnergirl
« on: January 03, 2006 04:40:29 PM »

I know this isn't really jewelry, so I hope it's in the right section, considering it is a jewelry "accessory", if you will. Also, I'm not quite sure what to call this thing, hence the odd title.

I've been making a lot of earrings lately, and they'd started to overflow my little bowl in the bathroom and take over the entire counter, and I had a little extra wall space, so I decided to make a contraption to solve this problem.

I went to the hardware store and got a big piece of wire screen. My dad kindly made me a scrap wood frame for it. But it was really ugly with the screen all stapled down on the edges, so I thought I'd pretty it up a bit. Grin

I've been saving popcans for reasons unknown even to me, and so I cut them up and put them all around the frame to make it purty and shiny and cover up the staples and the edge of the screen. It's really big, and I don't have enough earrings to cover it, so I might get some S hooks so I can hang necklaces on it too.

Finished action shot

Ugly starting frame... (thanks Dad!)

Pop can pieces

Finished!! Shiny!

I hope you like! Comments/criticism welcome! Kudos to the person who can guess the most kind of cans I used!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M and M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already."  - Dave Barry
d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006 06:03:33 PM »

I love it! I made something similar with a fire place screen. Good job! d Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
FunkyOlive
Revolution Rock-making, Screen-printing, "Next Great American Novel"-writing collage artist/enigma.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006 06:20:23 PM »

that's a really cool idea! very pop-art ish.
-funkyolive
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockiegirl

kitties, libraries, and crafts . . . yum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006 08:30:27 PM »

I really like this earring holder! Over the past few years, I have possessed a great number of earrings. This would come in VERY handy! I have thought about making something like this before, but now you have inspired me to make one once I have some free time from school.
Thank you and GREAT CRAFTING!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  www.wists.com/rockiegirl
My Blog:  yarnontherocks.blogspot.com
Ravelry Handle:  rockiegirl
crafty_cool
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006 12:54:48 PM »

very cool indeed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmyGroovy3

Ha Ha Ha - but only soft ones...with hard bits in!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006 11:43:14 AM »

I hope you like! Comments/criticism welcome! Kudos to the person who can guess the most kind of cans I used!!

37?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashlyn22
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006 06:11:05 PM »

37?
I think she meant the kind of can that she used the most, not the number.. but I could be wrong.

AWSOME AWSOME AWSOME earring frame.. thing. lol. not really sure what to call it either. ITS GREAT THOUGH! very shiny.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missy_potaimia
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006 07:01:30 PM »

i love your lego earrings. i instantly fell in love with them. might have to make me some of those...
and your button earrings too. very cute.

nice frame too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alyek
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006 04:45:14 PM »

that is soooo cool
what did you use to attach the cans to the frame? just glue??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow"
xcrunnergirl
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006 11:09:24 PM »

Thank you for all the comments, everyone! You're all awesome! Grin

In response to alyek's question:
what did you use to attach the cans to the frame? just glue??

I used lots of little nails (brads, I think?) to attach the pop can pieces. On the front, I used a brad on one corner of the pop can piece, then wrapped it around the edge of the frame, and nailed it to the back. Then with the next strip, I overlapped it to cover the brad in the corner of the first one.

I used a tiny bit of glue to tack down some of the corners that didn't want to lie flat. I would also recommend using a pair of needle-nosed pliers to hold the brads while you hammer them in, otherwise you will kill your fingers. Ouch!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M and M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already."  - Dave Barry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Trim the Tree: Crafty Ornaments for the Holiday Season
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Christmas Tree Hat for a Cat
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Hot/Cold Rice Packs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...