A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,449
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how'd i get it so wrong??  (Read 604 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2006 07:20:02 AM »

i started a duvet cover for a down comforter, kind of a "practice project" for quilting basics. how i managed to screw up sewing two squares together is beyond me  Sad i mis-measured the comforter, so i had to add borders, which wasn't too bad b/c it actually would look better. then i had to add a little here, fudge a little there, now the thing still isn't matching up. and it's so huge it's hard to handle. ugh. my husband just wants me to can it and save my sanity. god is this frustrating! before i had a hard time cutting straight yet i measured OK. this time i cut fine, i just messed up everything else! someone please reassure me that one of these days i'll do two or three things right on one project!  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006 09:57:27 AM »

I Don't think I've had any project that didn't start like that Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Just persevere, you'll be glad you did. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GroggyFroggy
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006 10:11:39 AM »

I think one of the best things about this forum is finding out that no matter how awesome people are at making things....even the best screw up. What sets the really special people apart is perseverance. The really amazing craftsters incorporate the mistakes, get inspired by the mistakes or just rip it apart and start all over as if it's just part of the process. That attitude has opened up a whole new world to me. I enjoy the process now instead of thinking I'm a crafting loser.

You'll get it right and it will mean even more to you because this, this and this happened and you kept at it.  Wink 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006 11:38:55 AM »

thanks!! that's exactly what i needed!  Cheesy it probably will take a little time for me to look fondly on my tiny little patches that i like to think aren't so noticeable...eh, it all adds character, right?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missfire
Give me an hour and I'll give you your dream...

Fire in the hole!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006 08:49:24 PM »

The little stuff that isn't that noticable to you probably isn't at all to anyone else. And the pride and accomplishment make it all worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know why chicken coops have 2 doors?

If they had 4 doors they'd be chicken sedans.
anwa
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006 09:47:07 PM »

I've experienced this many times over.. When I mess up I freak out! But when I show it to someone else and point out the flaw they usually tell me, "I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out! You can't even tell." Sometimes I still look at the problems and think, "God that looks terrible," but I always try to remember that I'm the one who made it not the person who is looking at it from 5 feet away.

Plus, "An artist is their own worst critic." I put that quote to use 20,000 times a day Smiley Also, we're only human. There is a reason why things are called "handmade."

Don't can the project. Keep it for when the next project comes along so you can look back at your progress and/or learn from your mistakes. Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever's Clever! - prints, boxes and more!
Help support a starving student who is addicted to crafting!
http://whateversclever.etsy.com
cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006 11:28:01 PM »

hi have you considered buying a cutter and board, so you  get nice straight strips. thats how most quilters do it. Also have you got a quilters 1/4 inch foot for your machine thats so great for perfect seams. when you quilt you may need a quilters walking foot.
If you really hate a mistake why not use some visofix (adheres fabric to fabric) and make a lovely applique over it, just use blanket stitch or a close zigzag to applique it on, or feather stitch.
Its all learning, and I am sure it will turn out great.
can you post a pic?
goodluck cyndi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006 08:31:33 AM »

i finished it wed. night!  Cheesy i futzed with it some more and it still wasn't great, but i figured it was way beyond the point of being perfect. when we turned it right side out and stuffed the down comforter in, my husband couldn't even find the things i'd gotten wrong....he asked why i got so frustrated when you can't even see it! ha!  Wink i love it so much now! the comforter fit in just right and god is that comfortable! the cat slept on it for about 72 hours straight, convinced it was all for her.
i do have a rotary cutter and all the gadgets, but i'm still getting the hang of using it all....to give myself some credit, i did do killer 1/4-inch seams this time, they just were on mis-measured fabric   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GroggyFroggy
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006 01:55:00 PM »

Way to go! That's really awesome. Gosh, I love this place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tunisian Crochet: How to Do Half Double Stitches
Tunisian Crochet: How to Do Knit Stitches
Tunisian Crochet: How to Do Entralac Blocks
Tunisian Crochet: How to Do Double Stitches
Tunisian Crochet: How to Do a Treble Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...