A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,687
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting faster? HOW?  (Read 11252 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amygdala
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004 12:25:26 PM »

The only way I get faster is to just keep going, and to use slick needles.  My first major project was a ribbed scarf for my sister, I did it on 13s and it still took me a month!  I can't figure out Continental, it drives me insane and makes my left hand cramp up for some reason.  I think you just find a groove, even if I've just knit a bunch the previous day it always takes me a few rows to get up to speed.  I wish there were magic speed-knitting pills or something for when you really want to finish a project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brae_Day
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004 10:31:50 AM »

I knit contintental and I think I do it like greenchic but backwards... I move my whole left hand, yarn and all, around the needle, and anchor my LEFT needle on my thigh.  (although sometimes it slides towards the crotch area, and, when knitting in public, that usually causes some pretty interesting looks  Smiley)

I also found that knitting to music or a book on tape helps me move faster because I get in a groove easier... or trance maybe is a better word.  I can't just KNIT, I have to be doing something or listening to something.  My guess is in a few months you'll be laughing at the memory of your slow knitting speed!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pixelpusher
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004 10:45:31 AM »

I didn't realize that the needles could make such a difference in speed?
I am using bamboo needles and acrylic (I know, I know..) Lion Brand Chunky yarn. 
I think part of my problem is that I tend to stop and "tighten" each stitch a little as I go.. Know what I mean?  Does doing that actually *help* the knitted product or am I wasting time?

I have my knitting bag on the couch now so that when I watch TV I see it and am abosulutely compelled to pick it up. Cheesy  doing this while watchign TV though did end up in my first time taking out stitches. DOH.  knit 2 purl 2 not knit 2 purl 3....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brae_Day
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004 11:10:29 AM »

You could be knitting too tight.  When I first started, I knitted sooo tight that I got a calice on my finger from the needle 'cause I had to PUSH the loop off instead of letting it just slide off.  They really should just slide right off.

Most likely it won't matter if you straighten the stitches out if you knit a little looser.  I like to tidy up my stitches too, but I do it row by row, not stitch by stitch.  And all it consists of is kind of pulling at the section in general, not stressing out too much about each stitch.

Hope that all makes sense!  I promise you'll get it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004 12:45:37 PM »

I have my knitting bag on the couch now so that when I watch TV I see it and am abosulutely compelled to pick it up. Cheesy  doing this while watchign TV though did end up in my first time taking out stitches. DOH.  knit 2 purl 2 not knit 2 purl 3....

I'm a big TV knitter. I'd love to be able to read and knit at the same time, but my brain is just not wired that way. When I first started knitted I found that I listened to, rather than watched, the shows on TV when I was knitting. But now I can keep my eyes on the screen with just a little glance down at my work every now and then. It makes me feel less like a couch potato. After all, knitting has to burn some extra calories.  Wink

I work at a student job on campus, and ever since the summer began I've had a lot of down time at work. I've found that I can sit and just knit there, which I can't do too well at home. I think it's the extra incentive of knowing that the state is paying me to be there that does it.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katykeene
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2004 05:07:05 PM »

I've been trying that "flicking method" but can't seem to do it.

I'm the same! I see older ladies on the tram knitting up a storm by doing this 'flicking' even with the English method, but I just can't do it. I would *love* to though. I'm thinking I might talk to one of them one day, and pick their brain Wink

But yes, like everyone has been saying, practice will speed you up. As will loosening your tensiona little, if that is the problem. I used to knit *really* tight when I first started but it actually causes you more problems in the long run.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moefen
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2004 03:52:18 PM »

When you get to the point that you can knit without looking at your work constantly, you will get so much faster.  Practice closing your eyes and feeling your motions as you make the stitches.

(I knit right handed)

Keep a whole whack of stitches scrunched up at the end of your left needle - less time sliding them down the needle. Use your left index finger on the stich closest to the tip to guide the right needle in, and help slide it off.  Also lets you know where things are.

I use pencil style holding, even with really large sweaters. This means I can balance/lightly hold my right needle, between the pad of my thumb and the side of the last joint of my right middle finger. Needle rests on the webbing between thumb and hand to support it.  Index finger stays free and can throw yarn around.  Its kind of like holding one chopstick.  Having needle rest on thumb webbing means you don't move your whole hand to throw yarn, and you don't keep dropping the needle to move the yarn.  Also your tension stays firmer if you don't drop the needle.

When you get really happy with your style, try to learn the other handed knitting, because then, when one arm gets too tired, you can switch!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
FrogPuddle
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006 11:24:23 PM »

a variation of that was my first too and yeah, 10 minutes a row? that sounds about right!!  Just practice, thats all i can say, and dont knit too tight because that really slows you down. find a really comfortable postion for yarn hands and both needles (dont even ask how stupid i look when i knit-) and if its weird, thats okay. after my third scarf i knit an extra large guys sweater in two and a half months while working full time and not being able to knit it while he was around because we live together (xmas).  Trust me it gets much much better!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twilight
Craftista

Aren't we all lamas really...on the inside?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006 01:41:55 AM »

Me? I can't get the hang of it, but then again, I like to anchor my right needle against my stomach so that it is independant of the rest of my knitting. Goofy, but it works.

I do something similar by sticking the right needle in the crook where my stomach meets my right thigh. I don't know if it's the right way but it works for me.

I'd like to try to knit contintental someday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's just a ride."-Bill Hicks
My crafting blog: http://twilightkallisti.com/
Twitter: @TwilightChaos
knittinkitty

out of the box

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006 05:00:32 AM »

I don't flick much of anything...but then, I taught myself out of a book (and found out later you're not supposed to be able to do that. Leave it to me. hehe) My 'style' is totally screwed up, I know (I stick the left needle under my armpit) but it works for me. (and didn't I read someplace that's actually how Debbie S does it?) I can do a pair of booties in like 2-3 hours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Knowing that I don't have control over things is not always exciting for me. But it's been reassuring to know that I don't need to have control. God has control." (Clay Aiken)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Convert a Crochet Pattern Into a Knitting Pattern
Single Crochet Stitches
How to Crochet a Purse
How to Recycle Household Items Into Handmade Ornaments
How to Sew a Button By Hand
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...