A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
378 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting faster? HOW?  (Read 11632 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Selana
The Selana

Yarg!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2006 09:26:21 AM »

I like to anchor my right needle against my stomach so that it is independant of the rest of my knitting. Goofy, but it works.

I do the same thing!

Honestly, I started knitting two years ago, only been doing it off and on, and I have gotten faster. My trick is to put on a movie, or find a marathon of Mythbusters, Project Runway, or some other guilty pleasure, and just GO. By the end, I'm all caught up on my show of choice, and I've finished WAY more of my project than I realized I could.

Also, knitting with friends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SabrinaJL
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2006 09:50:32 AM »

When I used straights I would tuck one under my armpit too.  It was comfortable to knit that way.  Since I bought my Options I don't use straights much anymore. 

I knit English.  I KNOW how to knit Continental and I KNOW that it's supposed to be faster, but it's not faster for me.  My knitting slows way down when I try to knit Continental.  I'm pretty sure that's just because I need to do it more often but at this point, I don't have the patience for it.  My knitting is fast enough and ya know what they say..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it." 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meg2101
Wand-Totin' Browncoat Ninja

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2006 12:04:29 PM »

Ack, I'm sooo slow. It took me about a month to finish one sleeve of Knitty's Cleaves, and I gave up because I did the decreases wrong and it looked like crap.  Roll Eyes I can generally get a couple inches done in the span of an episode of Alias (which I've been watching lately) if I'm making something simple and small like scarves or headbands. And one thing that slows me down is that I don't hold the yarn, I have to bring it up and around, rather than the fast way that lady does it in the videos on knittinghelp.com. My aunt does it that way too but I look at it and I'm like WOAH I can't friggin' do that, my fingers are too short!

I love using bamboo or wooden needles, because they're quieter (for in the movies) and they feel so smooth and nice, but they're pretty expensive for me.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006 12:09:29 PM by meg2101 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

|| Wist | Flickr | Icon by me ||
Lizzle
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2006 12:50:48 PM »

Meg2101, If you are looking for less expensive bamboo needles, try eBay.  Sometimes you can find huge lots of needles for very little money (I once got ~20 pairs of needles for about 20 bucks).  People clean out their attics/move/etc and just need to get rid of all of them at once.  Even if you can't find a huge group, they are generally less expensive there.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2006 09:58:20 AM »

I found out that practice makes your work go along much faster.  Even still, I sometimes get discouraged because my knitting simply doesn't go as fast as my crocheting.  But, then again, a row of single crochet is equal to approximately three knit rows in height and I've also been crocheting alot longer than I have been knitting. 

I can knit Continental and English style, but I have found through my own experience that Continental style is not faster for me.  Which is kind of odd since being a crocheter I'm used to holding the yarn in my left hand.  Go figure  Tongue 

The trick to getting your stitches to just slip off the end of your needle after drawing the yarn through is to keep them loose.  The same goes for crocheting.  I found that the best way to start off on the right foot, tension-wise, is to cast on holding both knitting needles together.  I cast onto both needles held together and then slip one out from under the other, leaving the CO stitches on one needle.  That way they aren't too loose, but they aren't clinging to the needle for dear life. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
ChanPai

Is it nap time yet?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2006 01:55:04 PM »

I do something similar by sticking the right needle in the crook where my stomach meets my right thigh. I don't know if it's the right way but it works for me.

I'd like to try to knit contintental someday.

I definitely do that, and I speed through it now (relatively speaking).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It doesn't beep, it goes, "Hai!"
meg2101
Wand-Totin' Browncoat Ninja

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2006 11:31:31 PM »

Thanks to Lizzle for suggesting buying a set on eBay, I'm getting two complete sets of bamboo needles for christmas! For a fraction of the cost of buying them from Michaels or Joanns, I might add.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|| Wist | Flickr | Icon by me ||
moecantsew

I am a scientist who crafts or is it the other way

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2007 08:27:58 AM »

I have been reading this thread, thinking someone could enlighten me on how to hold the yarn for purling, when using continental.  I am a happy little hooker, so when I tried knitting I automatically used my left hand to hold the yarn.  I can use my index finger to pop the yarn over for the knit stitch and a loop around my pinkie for tension control, but I find that I grasp the back of the needle with my hand extremely tight (pinkies get really tense!).  As for purling, I cannot purl gracefully or comfortably for the life of me.  I end up using my thumb to control the yarn, and no other fingers for tension control.  Any tips for these syndromes?  I seriously don't think knitting is for me, however all the pretty things...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missknittypants

Knitting is my happy place

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2007 03:28:15 PM »

Don't give up on knitting!!!

I had the same issues at first.  I am a lefty who has put in more time crocheting.  When I picked up knitting needles again, I just did what felt right without checking a book.  Turns out that is continental (I think because of crochet).  I didn't even know there was a name for it until a year later.  I also wrap the yarn with my left index finger when I make a knit st. instead of a true "pick".

It took me a long time to find a comfy purl method because using my finger was awkward- so I use my thumb to wrap.

Part one of wrap

Part 2 of wrap

Yarn hold

Just keep trying- if it feels good, then go for it!! Wink

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007 03:31:00 PM by missknittypants » THIS ROCKS   Logged
moecantsew

I am a scientist who crafts or is it the other way

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2007 12:51:35 PM »

yes, that is how I wrap the yarn around during purling!  Thanks for the pic of how you have the yarn wrapped for tension, that one is the most helpful.  I have never held my yarn properly - go me!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make The Spicy Brunch Dish Chilaquiles
Belgian Buttermilk Waffle Recipe
How to Make Baby Leek and Mushroom Quiche for Easter Brunch
How to Make Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
How to Make Bacon and Egg Brunch Cups
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...