A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I just need to get this out.  (Read 4859 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

efferjen
« on: January 02, 2006 12:31:26 PM »

Why is it so hard to get shorter (16" or 10") circular needles at discount craft stores? I have quick access to Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Hancock's, and Wal Mart and just made a drive to the nearest JoAnn Fabric. None of them carry anything smaller than a 29". JoAnn lady (let's call her JoAnn) told me that it was "such a specialty item that they probably wouldn't ever carry them".

Is this insane or is it me? Every hat pattern I have seen calls for some needle smaller than 29". I did break down and spend more at my LYS and was happy to give her my business, but are the smaller needles that special?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I love needles
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006 12:39:14 PM »

I know what you mean, except with DPNs.  There are very few sets at michaels and if you need some of the really small ones, you are SOL.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006 12:41:45 PM »

I have a hard time finding longer circs in the craft stores here! Plus, the local stores seem to carry a really random mish-mash of sizes and lengths.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
marimbachick
High Priestess of the Temple of Sexiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006 12:52:25 PM »

A totally crappy problem that I've encountered myself.  My personal solution was to buy the Denise Interchangeable needle set, from which I can get pretty much any length circs I need, small to large.  For 50 bucks, I think it's a splendid deal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We need the Falkland Islands...for strategic sheep purposes."
tejer
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006 01:42:34 PM »

I noticed the same thing. You can either buy the Denise or Boye (needlemaster) interchangeable sets or learn the magic loop method, or buy your needles from some online store like knitpicks or ebay. I got the Boye needlemaster set for Christmas (my mom used a 50% off coupon at Michael's which made the set $35).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jax3303
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006 01:45:14 PM »

The last time I was in my local JoAnns, I saw something there that I had never seen there before, and I nearly had a heart attack! thay actually had 16" bamboo circs! I was so happy! It's a total coincidense(sp?) that a week earlier I had sent an email to JoAnn Customer care asking why the shortest circ I could find in their stores was 29".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frew-Frew
Caution: Eye Irritant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006 01:59:10 PM »

My problem is BIG dpns. My michaels carries almost no needles. They increased the yarn selection and decreased the tools. WTF?? AC moore only has the lion brand dpns (which I don't like) and even then they only go up to size 10. Joanns is limited too, nothing over 10. I could go to my lys, but they are ridiculously expensive. Something I could easily get at the other craft stores for $5 would cost $12.99 at the LYS, and frankly, these people haven't always been the nicest or most helpful so I'm less than inclined to drop a ton of money there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chuck Norris does not knit. He bangs the table, and the shockwaves force the yarn to create clothing.

http://frousworld.blogspot.com/
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006 02:02:13 PM »

I just got a set of bamboo 16" circs at Michaels for five bucks because they were on clearance. I really like them. But before I got those, if I wanted to do a project that asked for circs that size, I just used dpns. They're not that bad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
americandemockracy

Misanthropic, you got it.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006 02:06:30 PM »

Well. For all my last minute needle and notion needs I go to Walmart- it's the only yarn related shop less than 45 minutes away.

So. Normally they have like... 4 pairs of regular sized needles (none of which are EVER the size I need) and a whole boatload of riculiously sized ones- like 35 mm. Those are great- but not what I need! (and they're really, really tacky  colored plastic with contrast tips)

For circulars, they are all, once again, 29 inches. I've been knitting for five years and I have never, ever, ever needed a circular needle that was 29 inches long. EVER. I've made sweaters. Vests. Shrugs. Hats. Socks. All sorts of stuff.

And when I asked the lady behind the desk if they had any double pointed needles, she told me to go look in housewares. Huh

Anyways... that's my tale of the local walmart.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://javastain.etsy.com is now open!

Come check us out for period goodness!
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006 02:37:28 PM »

This bugs the heck out of me as well!!
The wal-mart here only carries 29" circulars, too.  I keep wondering what the heck the point is?  Boye brand must make circulars in other lengths, right?  So why wouldn't wal-mart stock them?  O_O *baffle*
I was going to make the trip to the Michael's in DeKalb and see if they had shorter ones, but after reading this thread perhaps I will call first. =/  There is no local yarn store here for me to check at so I guess it will be online shopping if I can't find them in DeKalb.

I've thought about purchasing that needle set, too.  For you guys that have it, how do you like it?  How do you change the circulars lengths and stuff? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://zomboid.com
My website, newly redesigned as of 9-2010! ^_^

http://facebook.com/heycookie
Yes, I have one of those, too. ^^;
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Master Croc from Kung Fu Panda 2
How to Draw Marty from Madagascar 3
JonBurgerman TimeLapse
How to Draw Mike Wazowski from Monster Incorporated
How to Draw Master Thundering Rhino from Kung Fu Panda 2
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...