A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,088
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I just need to get this out.  (Read 4645 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

toyshirts

Boys Knit Better

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006 02:12:18 AM »

Okay, I think half the reason I did this is that all of us boys like to burn shit.

But basically, it was pretty simple. I figured I wanted about 10 inches of plastic connecter stuff in between the 2 cables, so I cut it so each needle had about 5 inches, give or take a tiny bit.

Then I had an incredible amount of trouble doing the melting because the connecter part is curly and I couldn't hold the lighter and both halves at the same time. So I got my sister to hold the lighter. Really you could do it yourself if you had a Zippo or a candle or something. I pushed the 2 ends together in the flame and they melted and squished together, but they created this huge jagged bump. I figure I could take a single-edge razor and shave the bump down, but I was on vacation and had no access to one, so I ended up doing what I secretly wanted to do anyway which was use more fire. I managed to get it to the point where one side of the bump was pretty smooth and tapered, so I just have to make sure that the tapered side is on the right when I'm knitting. Eventually I'd like to try using the razor to see if I can shave the bump down more.

It hold really well, and I'm sure that there are some kinds of toxic fumes released, but since you're only melting a very small bit, I can't iimagine that they're harmful.

If you're worried about fire, I don't see why some superglue reinforced with duct tape wouldn't work though. I just didn't have any on my vacation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Since when do boys knit?"
"Umm... Ancient Egypt."
PurpleHeather
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2006 05:14:07 AM »

Aaah - thanks for the link to the denise set - I've been looking for something special to get my mum, and maybe me when i know how to knit too Grin

I've discovered a UK stockist for them, they seem to have quite a few international ones on their country list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tejer
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2006 08:07:05 AM »

Here is a knitty article about the denise needles: http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/FEATdenise.html

(You can buy denise interchangeables at knitpicks or search around for a good price on the internet.)

And here's a comparison of boyes/denise on another site: http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=27781

A quick comparison from what I have read: The good thing about the boye needlemaster is that you can easily tell the different sizes because they are all different colors. Also, they go down to a smaller size (starting at US 2) than the Denise (starting at US 5). Denise seems to be better about replacing broken or faulty parts, but may break more. You can get Boye replacement parts, but they are a bit pricey. A lot of people have complained about the needlemaster because yarn often gets caught on the joins.

I have the Boye needlemaster set because a) it was a gift from my parents (I told them get either the Boye or the Denise set) and b) it ended up being cheaper with a 50% off coupon at Michael's. Usually the Denise set would be cheaper though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2006 08:08:27 AM »

isn't this interesting how different places have different problems!

here in nashville, i can find circulars of all lengths even at michael's and jo-ann's but none of those places carry DPN's smaller than size 3 (and actually, i only found size 3 at the biggest jo-ann's--all the others had only size 6 and up).  i ended up going to one of the VERY UPSCALE VERY EXPENSIVE yarn shops and paying 50% more because they are the only places in town that had the size 0 DPN's i need for socks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
gwensmom
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006 08:35:02 AM »

I have some Boye needles and cables that I purchased separatley while the stores around here still carried them.  I had a 12" cable but I lost it and now I can't find another one. Sad

Have you all encountered baby hat patterns that tell you to cast on to 16" circs but when you do the cast on row is too short to pull all the way around and join? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006 08:39:36 AM »

Have you all encountered baby hat patterns that tell you to cast on to 16" circs but when you do the cast on row is too short to pull all the way around and join? 

i just put a twist in the cable and knit thru it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2006 08:50:46 AM »

Ok, so let me say, I am a crafty girl, willing to try anything, and have been a part time knit and purl-er for only a short while. My forte' is crocheting... I have been trying to figure out those stinkin circular needles, I HATE to read instructions, I'd rather just figure it out (plus, I can't find any good CLEAR instructions on circ's, but your seemingly little tip:

i just put a twist in the cable and knit thru it.
[/quote]
was like an "ah ha!" moment, I have about 4 different size circ's, I have one of those Denise interchangleable kits, it was given to me about a year and a half ago, and was put into my "maybe someday" drawer... and have knit only about 3 scarves and 3 hats (on straight needles of course)... but now, oh now, the doors have been open... you all have given me hope for knitting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006 09:29:43 AM »

Thanks toyshirts!  I am going to recruit my husband to help me try this today. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://zomboid.com
My website, newly redesigned as of 9-2010! ^_^

http://facebook.com/heycookie
Yes, I have one of those, too. ^^;
toyshirts

Boys Knit Better

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2006 09:31:30 AM »

No problemo. Don't burn yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Since when do boys knit?"
"Umm... Ancient Egypt."
bespectacled
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2006 09:47:07 AM »

I've been debating buying the Denise set but I was wondering about needle durability..
I have broken a few plastic needles Roll Eyes so I was wondering about these needles.. I don't wanna spend the money then end up breaking them.. so do they stand up well?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Volume
How to French Braid Hair
How to Get Shiny Hair
How to Curl Your Hair with a Flat Iron: Messy Look
How to Get Big Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...