A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
750 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help revamping 50's chrome table/ chairs--  (Read 1289 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MaxChaos
« on: June 07, 2004 10:17:35 AM »

Hi there- I've lurked here for a while now, but I'm truly stumped in my latest undertaking and I'm hoping someone has a terrific idea to help me out! I've been redoing a bunch  50s/ 60s chrome table and chair sets and I've got the sewing and fitting of the vinyl down, the cleaning and touching up of the chrome down but I need an idea for how to re-do the tops! i've thought about decoupaging boomerang or other atomic patterned paper to the top, then coating it, but I can't find the paper. the actual boomerang laminate is too expensive for my tastes and I *know* there has to be a way to DIY (or DIM- do it myself? heh?) any ideas?

specifically- I am trying to recover the worn and faded plastic tops on these old tables. I'd like to find 1. a source for big sheets of retro patterned paper 2. a way to make my own big sheets of cool paper 3. a way to make my own plastic laminate in aforementioned patterns 4. any ideas you may have about what I can do to solve this problem-

THANK YOU!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004 10:27:33 AM »

Hmmm...I'm thinking maybe you can find what you are looking for in gift wrap paper---there's gotta be plenty of retro designs out there if you do a search.  The wrapping paper covers a lot of territory for a low price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
craft-matic
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004 07:38:47 AM »

I'm with firehead.  For the top, you can have thin plexiglas precut (or cut it with a jigsaw) in the shape of the top to cover the table, thereby protecting the decoupage.  I think a dinette would get too much use for decoupage without some kind of protection for the surface, and I'm not a big fan of polyeurathane alone for high-use pieces (it chips so easily).  If you used plexiglas, of course you'd have to find  away to seal the edges; I'm not sure how that's done.  Another option might be laminate flooring?  I don't know if you can find some that isn't wood textured.  But if you could lay a stone style in a check pattern or something like that, it could work with your theme, and wouldn't be that expensive for such a small area. 

Another option would be vinyl floor tiles.  Check out Sincol  http://www.ifloor.com/brand_57/Vinyl-Tile/Sincol-Commercial-Vinyl-Flooring.html  they have some VERY cool styles and colors, though a little bit pricey ($6.00/sf), but you might find it on sale in your area.  Or Azrock  http://www.ifloor.com/group_982/Vinyl-Tile/Azrock-Commercial-VCT-Tile/Azrock-Cortina-1/8-VCT.html  it's less expensive, and some cool fifties colors.  You could probably buy enough for a table, plus supplies, for $20 bucks.  A lot of tile stores will also give you samples; you could ask for sample books for discontinued patterns, too. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004 07:54:59 AM by craft-matic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Wu Kitten
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004 06:21:10 AM »

I'm with craft-matic on the thin plexiglass top for protection.  If you go that route, then the sky's the limit on how you decorate underneath.

As fire said, gift wrap would be good, but then you may be able to find some retro wallpaper, or get the paintable wallpaper & do your own designs- covering with the plexi, of course. 

Maybe you could follow the same instructions for painting/ designing on laminate countertops (though a lot of people are against it, it still can be done if YOU want to do it).  I think that would get the same type or amount of wear & tear as a table would.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
everything_is_free
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004 07:42:15 AM »

All fantastic ideas, but there was a fantastic looking table in Readymade mag which had coffee mug ring stains all over it. I don't have the mag in from of me, but here is how I think they did it:

prime the table with a whitish color (I can't remember if they used some sort of medium like Gesso, or paint)

Make some coffee and take a mug, or mugs and dip the bottoms. place the dipped mugs all over the table, in random patterns, with some on top of others. leave some on for longer than others so they are not all the same color.

Then putting the glass top over it would protect the artsy stains from getting truly stained.

I don't know if you can picture that, but if you don't want to buy the magazine just go check out the summer issue in a bookstore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now, my story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say "dickety" 'cause the Kaiser had stolen our word "twenty". I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles
MaxChaos
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004 11:11:26 AM »

Hey, thanks for all the great ideas!  That flooring is fantastic, if not for the tabletops then just for our own kitchen floor! Thanks for the links- I'm still on the lookout for wallpaper or wrapping paper in the 50s boomerang styles... it did find a website of someone who can print it for us in large rolls, so that's another option, although it's sort of pricey and we're not sure if these babies will sell yet (well, to anyone other than us) I think we're going to give the "topping it with plexi" a try too, since we want our tables to be for daily use and fully functional! We've got a few tables that the wood is bad and needs to go as it is, so really we'll just cut a new shallower piece of wood, decorate it, top it with the plexi and seal it, then reapply the chrome banding. Thanks again- keep those ideas coming!

p.s. on a gushy side note, this was my first real post here on craftster and I am so thrilled that people read it and responded and were *helpful*- THANKS!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patti
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004 11:08:23 AM »

Your retro table and chair sets sound super!  I hope you'll post pics when you're done.

I'm not certain if regular wallpaper will be wide enough for your table tops but here are a couple of boomerang designs I think are nifty:

http://www.retrohome.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RH&Product_Code=ME-WBM
http://www.homeportfolio.com/catalog/Product.jhtml?superCatId=11&catId=59&prodId=111597

I hope I did that right.  I'm a long time lurker but this is my first post, too!

*bites nails*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Curls
How to Create the Shakira Look
Eyebrow Shaping Tutorial
How to Create Grunge Inspired Hairstyles
How to Create a Braided Bun
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...