A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,760
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rhinestone hotfix vs. Bedazzler?  (Read 2605 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wandalicious
« on: January 01, 2006 07:02:32 PM »

Anyone have experience with hotfix rhinestone adhesion (where you use the tool that heats up to tamp down the crystals that already have glue on the back) vs. the plunger-type machine (made by Be-Dazzler or Westrim)? I have read a couple of posts that say the glue on the hotfix rhinestones doesn't seem to hold, but can't seem to find any posts that tell me whether the Be-Dazzler is worth the money.

I notice that they are currently going for BUCKS (more than $50) on e-bay, and I'm also worried that I won't be able to find supplies once I do buy one.

The Westrim tool seems cool but only does rhinestones in the silver "Tiffany" settings, unlike the Be-Dazzler, which I guess does studs too.

As you can see, I've done a lot of online research, and gathered what I can from other Craftster threads (thanks, Craftsters!) but I haven't read a lot of "testimonials" from folks that have used these products. Can anyone tell me the truth?

I'm dying to attach rhinestones to my creations!

Thanks,
Wanda
THIS ROCKS   Logged
that1spazticchik

<3 The Donnas <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006 02:11:28 PM »

well i got a bedazzler a couple of years ago, and maybe it's just me, but i don't like it. the backings of the rhinestones never seem to "clamp" the right way. sometimes only 2 or 3 of the prongs would clamp, and the others would either bend wrong or go the opposite way. it made me so mad when i was trying to bedazzle my backpack that finally i just shoved the things through with my fingers and closed them with some plyers!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Petunia0384
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006 02:14:10 PM »

I haven't had a Bedazzler in years, but like the person above me, I had a hard time with it.  I personally wouldn't recommend Bedazzler, but we'll have to see what someone says about the rhinestone hotfix. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
wandalicious
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006 06:52:06 PM »

I bought the Westrim rhinestone "setter" and I have the same problem as everyone has with the Bedazzler - unless you get it lined up just right, then the prongs are slightly "off" and don't close over the rhinestone properly. If you get into a groove, though, and your "puncher" (not technical terms) is in alignment, then I can do 10-12 in a row without a problem.

I haven't tried the hotfix, but someone advised me that it's good if you get the right one. I get my rhinestones from Phil at rhinestoneguy and he sells (and swears by) the Kandi Kane tool.

A friend of mine has just been affixing the rhinestones directly to the fabric with glue (I think she's using Gem Tac) and has had no problems.

Thanks for your posts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006 07:10:10 PM »

I used the hot fix type and LOVE it. Super easy and they stay on quite well! I've never used a bedazzler.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costum e maven.
DogGrrl
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006 10:59:37 PM »

I just got a the BeJewler Stone Styler and I love it!  I guess it might have be the stones you use but the ones I bought at a sewing/embroidery show have been great.  They have been through the washer and dryer a few times with no problems.  I think the woman's booth was called Sue's Sparklers but I'm not sure.

I have never had good luck with the Beadazzler.  I too ended up pushing them through the fabric and then using a pair of plyers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Two Ways To Wear Cropped Knits And Leather
Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood Steal the Spotlight at the CMAs
Best Dressed At The 2012 Country Music Awards
Marion Cotillard Wows in an Elegant Gown at the Women of the Year Awards
Khloe Kardashian Odom: Steal Her Style
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...