A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
810 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First post-- ribbon woven purse (image heavy!)  (Read 967 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

folara
« on: January 01, 2006 04:33:54 PM »

I found Craftster a few days ago and I've been completely inspired! So, of course, I started a bunch of projects and I've only finished one. I'm going back to school tomorrow, so that means no more sewing machine (dorm is waay to small!)

I wove this purse in about 3 hours last night out of some ribbon I had laying around. The ribbon is kind of yucky-colored, but I had a ton (several hundred yards) of it laying around, so I decided to test out the design with it. Tell me what you think!

The pics aren't color-corect AT ALL...the ribbon is a deep red and navy blue with a thin yellow stripe running down the middle. The purse is basically a box woven of ribbons...no fancy design or anything.

I wanted as few seams as possible, so each ribbon wrapped all the way around the sides and/or the bottom of the purse. This picture shows that there's only one seam on the inside of the bag (look on the right side), plus sewing the loose ribbons down along the opening.

I haven't lined it yet...I wonder if I should. It's pretty sturdy, but it gets strechted out of shape easily. And I've just left the ribbons woven into the sides extra long to form a strap, but how should I do the strap? Just tie the ribbons? Sew them together? Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
-Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post pictures of all of my crafty adventures on my flickr and my blog!
helenhelen
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006 04:45:43 PM »

wow, that's awesome! it looks good even if it doesn't have lining.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midget

craftiness out the wahzoo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006 09:43:05 PM »

i love it! the pattern the weave makes is cute too, like pin wheels Smiley this looks like it would take so much patience. It looks good without lining, i'd only add one if it would prevent that bag streching problem. way to go man, really neat Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.meloyelo.etsy.com
d.i.y = l.o.v.e
Mimi055
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006 06:51:21 AM »

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Roll Eyes  I might try that idea if it's ok?  I think I would maybe sew the straps rather than tie, probably make it stretch less.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mAsQuErAdInG aS A nOrMaL pErSoN eVeRyDaY iS eXhAuStInG!!!
folara
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006 09:06:45 PM »

Sure, go ahead and try to recreate it-- I'm sure this isn't an original design or anything, and it took me about three hours to complete. Yeah, it took some patience, but I think the whole thing would have been easier (although perhaps not as elegantly constructed) if I had sewn each panel separately and then sewn the whole thing together at the end. I think I'm going to stich the loose ends together to form the strap, but then attach a bow to hide the seam. and when I get back to y sewing machine, I'll probably line it and instal a zipper. Thanks for the input and praise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post pictures of all of my crafty adventures on my flickr and my blog!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Picks for Sulfate-Free Shampoos
Home Remedies for Dandruff
Zooey Deschanel 60s Updo Tutorial
How to Do a Chic Curly Updo
How to Style a Festive Bow Hairdo
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...