A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Block of the Month Craftalong  (Read 42277 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

poo head

I didn't really drop my baby! No hate mail!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2006 08:03:59 PM »

i don't get it "birth it"? also w/ the topstitch don't you have raw edges?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to do a personal swap for any boyish nursery print flannels! I can send polymer clay charms, purses, paper crafts, microscope slide pendant kit, and a lot more.

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2006 08:46:23 PM »

i'm having a bit of an issue, i love making quilt blocks, but get frustrated when trying to actually quilt it. i had an idea, but not sure where this would go. what if i made 2 of each block and sent it to someone and they quilt half the blocks for me and keep the rest. i'd of course pay for the postage. does this sound like a good swap idea? like people would either sign up for block making or quilting and they'd swap. i don't know just seemed like a good idea. would probably go in the swap theme idea catagory. maybe if some people here like it i'll post it there.

Hi, quilting doesnt have to be advanced, i use a walking foot to sew on quilts and thick bag material. its brilliant. just sew on the line where you join the block thats called IN THE DITCH quilting. looks fine.
just finish with bias binding. its not hard to make. instructions could be discussed at the end of the year.
i am going to try and join in and get some blocks done.
cheers cyndia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2006 10:12:17 PM »

Birthing a quilt means there are no raw edges.  Essentially, you put the top and bottom fabrics right sides together (I use fleece to back, so that is all there is, but if you want batting, you put that on top of the pile) and sew about 1/2" in all the way around, leaving a 1" gap where you don't sew in the middle of one of the sides.  Then you stuff the quilt through the hole (birthing it), essentially turning it right side out again.  You can then hand stitch the opening closed.  I often don't bother with that part, since I'm topstitching anyways - I just do one of the topstitching lines close to the edge.

If this makes no sense, let me know, and I'll write a better explanation when I'm not half asleep.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poo head

« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2006 04:45:52 AM »

wow i can believe i never heard of that! i have to try it! i'm so edxcited thank you so much that acutually sounds like something i can do and it not look like poo or get bored before i finish.  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to do a personal swap for any boyish nursery print flannels! I can send polymer clay charms, purses, paper crafts, microscope slide pendant kit, and a lot more.

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
pibbgirl
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2006 08:17:53 AM »

I'm glad the "birthing" a quilt topic came up.  That's the way I've done all my quilts in the past too.  I liked the balkan square so much that I ended up turning my first square into a full size quilt and I'm to the point where I am going to attempt to quilt it this weekend.  Does anyone think I'll have any problems birthing such a large quilt?  The biggest I've done in the past is a twin size and this one feels gigantic!!
Here's my progress on that project:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010 09:37:03 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

poo head

« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2006 08:52:35 AM »

i like it! but since i just learned about birthing today i don't think i could help you. but from what i've been reading if you tie the batting to the back w/ little knots that you can later remove that seems like it would make it easier so you won't have things moving around too much. i really shouldn't give advice on what i don't know, so ignore what i said and wait for someone who knows what they're doing. good luck though and i love the top part!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2006 11:19:49 AM »

Wow!  That's beautiful, Pibbgirl.  Very inspiring - I need to make more time for quilting in my life.

I don't think birthing it would be that big of a deal - you'd just need to leave a pretty big opening - 2 or more feet (.6m+), depending on the thickness of the batting you're using.  If you just back in fleece or you are using really thin batting, I'd say 2 feet (.6m) is enough.  You might still want to tie it in places so that it doesn't shift around, though.  Maybe where the orange diamond tips meet, or where the purple diamonds meet (the latter corresponding to fewer ties).

Speaking of making some of these blocks into full blown quilts, was anyone else blown away by how cool the Friendly Hand block looks when it's put together with other ones? (page 2 of the instructions).  So tempting.. but so little time.... plus another project I've promised myself I'd work on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2006 06:15:20 PM »

Hi everyone,

I have made a few quilts. I hope you dont mind if  I comment........

Well, i have never used the  birthed method on a quilt like that, only on miniquilts, i like the binding method better.

This is what I do........

1st.  i just layer like  a sandwich the top, inside wadding the thickness and type you like, and a bottom like sheeting material.

2nd.   Buy a big bag of quilting pins (like big safety pins) and evenly space the  pins to hold  the layers together.  (this replaces the need to baste like old days, quick method).

3rd. Than quilt the straight lines with a walking foot from the centre outwards that stops any shifts of fabric as much, ie no puckers which happen if top moves.  When you have quilted what you want as little or as much as you like do.

4th.  Finish by  binding the edge to finish the raw outside perimeter edges. Using this quick binding the method as follows easily and quickly  covers the raw edges.

Making the binding............ .its simple buy enough fabric in one length ie a cotton to match to easily go up one side, than cut your strips parallel with the selvages as this will mean less stretch and thats good cos you dont want the edges to go stretchy over the years.

Cut these strips like about 3 1/2 inches wide (wider if you prefer ), obviously you need 4 strips as you have 4 sides.

Than you need to  join them together to make one long binding, than fold it length wise and press with iron nice and flat.

NEXT TIP OPTIONAL: using crochet cotton (thicker one) zig zag a row around edge of quilt, this firms the edging and helps prevent warping and mishappen edges in the years to come when the quilt is washed.

So  than you place the place the binding double raw edges to the edge of the quilt and sew a 1/4 inch  seam to join it all around the edges (makesure the cotton you zig zagged is hidden where the binding covers it.

So when you get to the corners you will need to mitre it. Sounds hard but that is easy enough,  i will see if i can take some pics tomorrow of these steps to show you the technique on a mini quilt, as i am working today. I know a nifty fast way.

Anyway when all is sewn you flip it over so that nice fold goes over the raw edges to the back, covers the seam visible, than hand sew tof inish.

If you dont like to handsew than do this... sew binding on the backside of the quilt, along edges the same as above, than you flip and sew with the binding with the sewing  machine from front, looks neat enough but you will see a sewing line on the underside.

I will try and take some pics of what i mean and add to this post.  Smiley  or maybe there are some on that quilting site.
It might sound hard but its actually not that bad. maybe try it on a practice piece first.

This isnt the only way to quilt,  you can quilt each square or strip of squares seperate than join another way with more strips that form like sashing. That works well too. I dont use this method but many do.
ok hope this helps someone.
 Wink
cyndiq
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006 06:21:54 PM by cyndiq » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2006 08:19:40 PM »

I have my March block made and a picture taken but have to wait to go to hubbies office to download it to the internet (our 'wonderful' computer can't handle the digital camera.)  I'm not totally happy with the outcome but it's my own fault - if you remember, from back in January, I was going to follow the colors suggested in the pattern but also try to carry one color forward each month to 'tie' it all together.  Well, this month there was only one color I could carry forward and it was rather bold for this pattern but, to follow my plan, I had to use it.  Guess you'll have to wait and see what I mean  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2006 05:36:35 PM »

Here's my March 'Ribbons Quilt Block.'  As I said earlier, I'm not totally happy with the look of it - the gold in the corners is the color I had to carry forward from February and I wish I had used a different color.  Oh well, life goes on...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back-to-School Statement Nail Inspiration
Get the 2-Minute Smoky Eye With Tips From Kayleen McAdams!
Sofia Vergara Named Head and Shoulders Spokesperson
How To Get Gel Nails at Home
7 Fabulous Winter Beauty Fixes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...