A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Block of the Month Craftalong  (Read 43359 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

faunal
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2006 02:19:09 PM »

Well, Feb. is here and I kept my promise.  Now, I just need to find a camera to take pictures of my blocks.  I am also looking for unusual fabrics to pull into this project.  I saw the link posted by Lynn, does anyone have favorite or unusual fabric store to share?  I mean, I need more fabric like I need a hole in my head, but I'm not feeling very inspired by what I have on hand and I'm 3 hours away from a quilt or fabric store.  Sorry for the ramble.  I'll post pictures soon.  I love everyone elses blocks.  They're great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ctgirl
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2006 04:46:27 PM »

faunal-funny you should mention not being inspired by what you have becasue as I was putting these together I was feeling the same way, but have way too much fabric as it is to buy more.  But I was wondering if anyone would ever want to swap little block kits.  We could cut out the pieces and send them along to be sewn.  It would be a nice way to get a little variety. 

I finished the Jan and Feb block this weekend.  Here they are.  I like the card trick blck the best, but it could be just that the colors go together the best.  I am not sure what I am going to do with them yet, but my brother mentioned wanting a quilt so I may try to make them less girly so that I can put a quilt together for him. 

Crazy BC jen-thank so much for starting this craft-along.  I really enjoy quilting and this is great motivation for me to do a little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
halfjackd
Confusing people since 1978

The attention just encourages her.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2006 08:59:07 PM »

Wow ctgirl, I love your blocks!

I don't have any suggestions for online fabric stores, but what about thrift stores?  I know that not all carry fabric, but I've made some really amazing scrap blocks with fabric I've cut from old clothes.  It's an option and not very expensive.  Kind of like knitters unravelling wool sweaters from thrift stores (I've gotten yarn that way I couldn't have afforded otherwise.)

I also like the idea of sending pre-cut pieces for a block.  If people just did enough for one block it wouldn't cost that much for postage.

(I just re-read this and realize how cheap I sound lol!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If all else fails, hide.  It works for bunnies.

My blog:
Chaotic Crafter

26/100 ATCs completed for the 100 Theme Challenge
kluckingbear
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2006 11:21:10 AM »

It's now February--can I still join in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

After all these years, I see that I was mistaken about Eve in the beginning; it is better to live outside the Garden with her than inside it without her. ~ Mark Twain
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2006 02:17:21 PM »

kluckingbear, of course you can!  Everyone can join in as they please - you can either try to play "catch-up" or just join us where you are.  I'll modify my first post to reflect this. 

ctgirl, your blocks are beautiful.  I love the citrus print in your card trick, and the blues in your balkan puzzle.

Regarding fabric swaps - it's totally up to each individual if they want to do this.  I'm not able to organize the swaps, but I can let whoever is know either (a) the patterns a month ahead or (b) the cut pieces and light/dark scheme for the following month's blocks, without disclosing what the blocks actually are.

Of course, if people do want to swap, you either need to follow the proper swap procedures down in the swapping section, or need to do them as private, off-board swaps.  If you do the latter, be aware that the benefits of being an official swap won't apply (eg, feedback and swap angels).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2006 06:54:07 PM »

Oh, I just found this craftalong and am going to join!  I'm pretty sure I can catch up by doing only one of January's squares but think I will do both of February's.

I have quit a bit of stash because I inherited it when my Aunt passed away a few years ago so I'm going to try and make everything from that - could be interesting since there are so many different colors.

I will try to post my squares as I get them done and am really looking forward to seeing what patterns are coming in the following months  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2006 12:59:31 PM »

I ended up have a free evening so thought I would get right to it and get the squares done.

Here's a funny story to go along with the January square - I printed out the pattern and then headed to my stash.  I looked at the pattern and thought, I need a white, a blue and two orangish/reds so proceeded to pick them out then realized - Hey! I don't need to follow the color in the pattern, I can pick my own! but by then I liked what I had so decided to keep it  Smiley

I then decided that for ease, I would also follow the color for the February square, for two reasons - it meant I didn't have to think about color choices and also I would use some colors that I probably wouldn't ever use otherwise.

I'm also the kind of person that likes my quilts to look organized and tie together but wasn't sure how to do it with this kind of quilt.  So, this is what I decided - each month I am going to try (as much as possible) and use one color from the previous month's square (Example, the center of February's square is the one of the same colors I used in January and in March I will try to use one of the February colors)

So, no more rambling, here they are:

April 5/06 - Sorry but I had to remove the pictures because my web hosting area was full and I needed to make room for other pictures Grin
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006 01:46:25 PM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fort_loop
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2006 02:46:29 PM »

So, this is what I decided - each month I am going to try (as much as possible) and use one color from the previous month's square (Example, the center of February's square is the one of the same colors I used in January and in March I will try to use one of the February colors)

That is a great idea!  Your blocks look really nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2006 06:38:46 PM »

Your fabrics are so nice!  I'm a fan of the swirly blue.  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ctgirl
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2006 09:25:29 PM »

Your blocks look great!  Makes me wish that I had made color wheel rather than card trick!  Love your fabric choices!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rice Pilaf Recipe
Fun Filled Chilli Recipe
Newport Fried Chicken Recipe
Beef Pot Pie Recipe
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Halibut Skewers
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...