A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,539
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt Block of the Month Craftalong  (Read 43393 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazy_bc_jen
« on: January 01, 2006 03:44:54 PM »

This is the craftalong for the block of the month discussed here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=66508.0

The idea behind the craftalong is for us to learn new block patterns together, trying new techniques, and encouraging each other to make steady progress on a sampler-style quilt.  Each month, links to patterns for two different block patterns will be posted - craftalongers can pick the one they prefer, or do both if they are so inclined.  By December 2006, each of us will have either 12 or 24 squares, which we can then add sashing, borders, etc, to in January 2007, to finish our quilts. 

The block patterns are all for 12" blocks, but you could reduce the sizes if you wanted.  I chose the site the patterns are coming from for it's clear directions and diagrams for us beginners and novices.

There are now some finished blocks, starting on page 3!

FAQ's

Q. It's now past January, but I would like to make a quilt, too!  May I still join in?
A. Of course!  People are always welcome to come and go as they please.  Too busy one month?  Skip it, but feel free to come back for the next one!  Joining late but want to play catch-up?  Please do!  If you have a camera, post your blocks as you go - no worries if they aren't for the current month.  Want to join late and just start where you're starting?  That works, too!

Q. I don't have a camera or scanner - can I still participate?
A. Of course!  It's fun to share your work if you are able, but if you're not, we understand (I don't have reliable access to a camera either).  You can still join in the happy chatter of techniques, tips, tricks, colour woes, and complimenting others!  The craftalong is supposed to meet your needs - help make it what you need it to be!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006 02:23:34 PM by crazy_bc_jen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006 03:53:53 PM »

January's Blocks

Balkan Puzzle
Based on squares and rectangles (some of which are sewn on a diagonal to create triangles), this is a seemingly-complex but actually very simple square to sew.  The pattern suggests four colours, but it could be interesting to use more or less.  Balkan Puzzle has a more contemporary feel to it.

Depression Block
A scrappy-looking block that uses 32 individual 3 7/8" squares cut in to triangles - great for using up all your scraps!  It could be given a less-scrappy feel by using a limited number of colours.  Depression Block is a more traditional block.

February's Blocks

The Heart
In honour of Valentine's day, one of this month's blocks is an easy-to-sew heart.  If you have kids, why not encourage them to sew their own?

Colour Wheel
Fort_Loop's request is the Colour Wheel.  A few more triangles, but this time some of them are within triangles, requiring careful measurement.  For a bit more of a challenge, try it's companion block, (Card Trick).

March's Blocks

Ribbon Quilt Block
Simple, simple simple - more triangles, and a few squares.  This one should be a pretty quick sew, but the colour scheme makes it very effective.  Because the triangle squares are all doubled, you can use the two-triangle-blocks-at-once method posted on page 5.

Friendly Hand
This one looks tricky, but is actually made up of a few basic blocks.  Triangles, four patches, and plain squares - the part that is going to take a while for this one is the cutting.

April's Blocks

This month we're going to do something a little different... blocks based on tutorials from other Craftsters!

Star Block
A neat application of stack and slash.  It may take us some experimenting to figure out how to get ourselves nice, neat 12" blocks... but I think we're up to the challenge!  If not, we can always make smaller ones and add borders..

Scrappy Block
A neat, easy introduction to paper piecing (which will be the theme for an upcoming month) to produce a beautiful scrappy block.

May's Blocks

This month's theme is paper piecing!  We got a start last month, so this month we'll try two more (but these ones don't require really big sheets of paper).

Birdhouse Block
Spring is in the air, and gardens are blooming (at least in my corner of the world).  Inspired by the fine feathered friends out the window, this is a simple but effective paper-pieced block.  To make the "holes" in the birdhouses, Quilters Cache has suggested black circle applique or buttons.  Both are interesting possibilities - but perhaps we can find others?

Night and Day Block
A great play on contrast and colour, this one just looks like fun!  Done in lower-contrast fabrics, this could also be a pleasant simple star pattern.

June's Blocks

Back to some straight-up piecing..

Wyoming Valley Block
I thought this was really pretty.  It reminds me of paw prints, somehow.

Towers of Camelot Block
Very somber and old-worldy in two colours, this could be kicked up in brights or made very old fashioned with vintage fabrics..

July's Blocks

Fabulous, fabulous applique.  This should be fun.   

Grandmother's Fan Block
This is the first one.. a bit traditional, very pretty.

For our second block, we will use
Sea of Star's Applique Tutorial
to design our own blocks!  There are lots of wonderful examples of applique all over Craftster.. get inspired and design your own!  One of my favourites: Sesame Street meets the Muppets!

August's Blocks

Lazy, simple blocks for those lazy summer days...

Annie's Choice Block
This speedpieced beauty is all just triangles of the same two fabrics, but it's got a major impact.

Brasstown Star Block
This one somehow reminds me of tumbling blocks, but it's much easier to do...

September's Blocks

A nod to the fall...

Leaves and Diamonds
Pretty... a perfect pattern for fall fabrics.

Maple Leaf
Quick, but so pretty.  I could see these being very effective on a full-size quilt, done in different colours and scattered in random orientations.

October's Blocks

Continuing the fall theme.

Sweet Gum Leaf Block
A different looking leaf, and a unique way of adding a stem.

Cedars of Lebanon Block
Maybe it was the gorgeous demo fabrics that sold me on this one.  It also looks fabulous when made into a full quilt.

November's Blocks

I unfortunately went MIA for a bit, and Homerof2 was kind enough to step up to the plate in my absence.  Here are the two squares she picked:

Amish Star

Woven Ribbons

December's Blocks

It's that time of year again, so here are three (yes, three!) fun choices to get you into the spirit.

Christmas Star Block
Just a neat looking star, though it looks festive in red, green and white.  It could also look fabulous in blue, or any colour of the rainbow, for that matter.

Santa Face Block
A fun version of Jolly Old Saint Nick, which would be great for kids.

Snowman Block
Another fun "picture" block...

Enjoy!  These are our last blocks for the year.  Once we're done, we can start sewing up our tops...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006 01:43:39 PM by crazy_bc_jen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gary_The_Snail
Peter-Pan-esque

You is on dat building!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006 03:58:45 PM »

This sounds so great! I've never done a craftalong before - is there any kind of charge or anything? Sorry if that's a silly question. I'm very interested in this though! I've only made the one quilt but I loved it and so I think this would be tons of fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A sewing machine and a lab coat. The best of both worlds.
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006 04:05:41 PM »

Nope, no charge, no nothing!  You just find your fabrics and sew the blocks, and then we all take pictures (if we can - if you can't, that's fine too!) and share our results.  If someone has questions or is having trouble with something, we can all help each other out.  It encourages us to keep at it, and hopefully we'll all end up with beautiful quilts we can treasure and cherish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gary_The_Snail
Peter-Pan-esque

You is on dat building!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006 04:08:26 PM »

Cool! I am soo in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A sewing machine and a lab coat. The best of both worlds.
CMeCraft
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006 06:09:11 AM »

Woohoo!  I can't wait to get my new sewing area organized so I can start this!  Thanks for posting it!  Candace
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hope98
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006 06:28:09 AM »

Ohhh Im in!
Im going to try and push myself to do both of the squares a month. Thank goodness we have a month..lol...that way all mistakes have time to redo.
This is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It get's in your eyes, It's making you cry, Don't know what to do. Don't know what to do
You are looking for love, Calling heaven above...

Send me an angel, Send me an angel
Right now...Right now
Hope98
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006 06:45:30 AM »

I just got my mom to try and do this too Cheesy
If its alright, Ill be posting photos of hers in my account as well, just different posts of whos is whos
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It get's in your eyes, It's making you cry, Don't know what to do. Don't know what to do
You are looking for love, Calling heaven above...

Send me an angel, Send me an angel
Right now...Right now
mata
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006 03:04:28 PM »

Wow! I just got back and here it is... Great!!!! Can't wait to check out the ideas for this month..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006 05:00:05 PM »

Hope, I'm going to be trying for both squares, too.  This month, I might even do the Depression block twice, since you have a second set of leftover triangles anyways.  I do unfortunately have to wait until later this month, as I'll be out of town for a conference for awhile.

Mata, did you see the links to this month's blocks, on the second post?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Airbrush Tutorial
Drawing a Cartoon Monkey
Drawing a Cartoon Giraffe
Drawing a Cartoon Lion
Drawing a Cartoon Horse
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...