A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 312,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
614 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pet Recipes - What To Avoid  (Read 9109 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: January 01, 2006 03:34:46 PM »

I was in PetSmart yesterday and noticed that most of the mixes to make your own pet treats contained sugar. It's extremely important to never give your pet sugar. There are some animals who benefit and even require sugar, but dogs and cats should never ever have sugar. Short-term, the sugar can make them sick and cause diarrhea and vomitting. Long-term, dogs and cats develop diabetes much easier than humans. 

If you want to know a treat that is safe for your pet, peanut butter makes most animals go crazy. My pug will sit and lick her lips for half an hour after I let her lick peanut butter off of my finger.

Milk is another thing that needs to be avoided with animals. Even though it might be tempting to give your cat a dish of milk, the lactose can cause horrible diarrhea. There are several different companies that make lactose-free "milk" specifically formulated for cats and kittens. Most of them contain vitamins, too.

Hopefully this is well-known, but NEVER give an animal chocolate. It's the most dangerous human food for an animal to ingest and can lead to death. My friend's dog managed to grab a brownie off of the table when nobody was home and they returned to find their dog incessantly vomitting and having diarrhea. They brought him to the emergency vet and his stomach was pumped. Unfortunately, he ended up passing away.

Just remember that even though your pet may seem like a little person inside of an animal's body, their digestive systems are very different from ours and can get extremely sick if they eat the wrong foods.

There are probably other things that I'm forgetting, so any additions would be very appreciated. If I think of more, I'll edit this post.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006 07:35:35 AM »

Hey, thanks for pointing this out! I think a lot of the time we assume that pet stores sell products that are GOOD for our pets, while sadly a lot of the time they are just trying to make money.

I do just want to point out that while chocolate is very dangerous for dogs and cats, it's not the case for ALL animals. I have pet rats and not only is chocolate not dangerous for rats, it can be beneficial. They tend to suffer from respiratory problems and a small bit of chocolate can literally save a rat in respiratory distress. But like with most sugary foods, it should be given sparingly.



"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006 02:07:35 AM »

this topic is a great one to discuss, especially when you can buy bog biscuit reciepe set for a dollar at Target.

I also had no idea chocolate was that harmful to a dog or cat. The yorkie my step-mom had would steal chocolates, and boy when they came out is was gross, but I had no idea it could have been fatal. Definitely good to know!

my new etsy shop! come see! come see!

www.madebylaurenb.etsy.com my new stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006 03:15:09 PM »

Grapes are toxic to dogs, even in small amounts.  Therefore, raisins are even more dangerous, since a dog could conceivably eat more in a shorter period!
Swamp Witch
Offline Offline

Posts: 37
Joined: 29-Mar-2004

Rrruff! Rruff! <Bark!> Rruff!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006 07:44:09 PM »

Onions are also poinsonous to dogs. We didn't put our onion scraps in the compost pile until we moved the compost pile out of the dogs' reach. I am appalled at a local pet baker who uses onion powder in her treats.

However, I also know from personal experience that it's all about ratios. My dogs got into a pound of chocolate one Christmas: I had all the presents in one room with the door shut. Apparently the door wasn't shut securely enough and I came home to Christmas chewed and strewn across the floor, most notably the wrapper from the pound of specialty chocolate I had bought for a cousin. I called the vet in a panic. He said that since the chocolate was most likely split between the two dogs, both about 25 pounds or less at the time, and keeping their weights in mind, they might get upset tummies, but that amount should not be fatal. He instructed me to keep a close eye on them...and make sure to shut the door securely in the future.

So, the real lesson here is: call the vet with any questions or concerns. My husband makes fun of me for being a hypochondriac, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

I've discovered the wonderful world of blogs:

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006 06:53:28 PM »

Checking with the vet with something new is always the best bet but he gave me a general hand out to keep at home since he knows i still sometimes give people food as treats (We went through food agression issues, so he figures its a miracle we got this far and my kitten would probably go balistic if he didnt get some once in a while)   

Remember not only are onions bad, but anything in the onion family--scallions, garlic, dried onions, onion or garlic salt or powder and they may be in some prepared foods under "seasonings". They cause a blood problem which causes animia and blood clumping.

Most animals are lactose intolorent

Grapes and Raisins can cause kidney failure

Nutmeg can cause seizures, nerve damage and death

Macadamia nuts are toxic -Dogs develop weakness, depression, vomiting, difficulty walking, tremors, abdominal pain, lameness, stiffness and/or pale gums. The signs usually dissipate in 12 to 24 hrs. However it can kill smaller dogs and cats.

Baking powder, baking soda, Yeast  or yeast Dough can activate/rise in their stomachs

Coffee and Coffee beans can cause caffine toxcicity
Watch the garbage! Apples, Apricots, Cherries, Peaches and Plums seeds, stems and leaves contain a chemical that can act like cynide, and any part of avocados can be toxic.

Offline Offline

Posts: 120
Joined: 30-Dec-2005

Llama, llama, llama, duck.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006 07:28:55 PM »

Onions are also poinsonous to dogs. We didn't put our onion scraps in the compost pile until we moved the compost pile out of the dogs' reach. I am appalled at a local pet baker who uses onion powder in her treats.

I want to stress the onions. A small piece of onion got on the floor at my grandparents house and their dog got it.

She ended up getting really sick. Her bodily fluids were leaking into the rest of her body and such. :S So..she had to be put down.
It was really sad.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006 11:10:22 PM »

A friend of mine had a kitten that ate the shoots from some green onions that she was growing in a pot in the house.  The kitten died.   Cry
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006 05:47:22 AM »

I'm really happy that you all have participated in this thread. I've learned some things that I had no idea about! I think it's really important that we take care of our animals as we would ourselves, so keep adding on!
Pathological Knitter
Offline Offline

Posts: 841
Joined: 02-Jun-2005

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006 06:04:45 AM »

This thread has made me really happy.  I got quite depressed reading things about "pet treats" , because I don't understand why people want to feed their pets table scraps, or sweet crap just becasue eating that stuff makes them feel better.  I believe in feeding pets the things that will make them strong and happy, and that "treats" should be given in the form of love/cuddles/warm blankets etc etc.   

I was in a pet store once buying kitty litter, and another customer started asking me questions because she had a new kitten and thought I might know what she would need.  I helped her as best I could, then she started picking up these packets of sugary chocolate drop things and said she would get them as "treats".  When I told that I never give my cats that sort of stuff, she told me I was mean and cruel! I felt like I'd been slapped in the face.  My cats are loved, healthy and happy.  Maybe her kitten is going to brush and floss it's teeth twice daily *shrugs*.


Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macro Photography Tips
What is Macro Photography
Lighting in Photography
Photographing Items for Sale
Photography News
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2015, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.