A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pet Recipes - What To Avoid  (Read 8459 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mojo
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2006 11:28:54 AM »

I normally wouldn't add to non-crafty discussions but I just have to add what I know about Greenies.  My dog was a big Greenies eater until I became aware of the dangers.  To date, 13 dogs have died from complications arising from the ingestion of Greenies.  Apparently, in these cases, the cellulose (the main ingredients in Greenies and several other brands of "dental chews") was not properly broken down during digestion-- perhaps because the dog ingested large chunks.  When this happens, the cellulose forms a sticky mass which can lodge in the stomach or intestines causing vomiting, blockage, or other upset.  In a few of the fatal cases, surgery to remove the mass did not save the dog.  A friend of mine had this happen to her dog but, after an $800 surgery, the dog was saved.  So, if your dog is a Greenies fan, please be sure to watch them for signs of distress after feeding this treat.

Too make this more crafty, here's a liver treat recipe!

1 lb. liver
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 egg
2 c. whole wheat flour

Preheat oven to 350. Mix first three ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth.  Stir in flour a little at a time just until the batter is thick but still pourable. Spread into a greased 9" square pan. Bake approx. 30 minutes. Cut into squares.  Freeze and use as needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ratzrule
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2006 02:50:40 PM »

uh... didnt eery1 just say NOT to give your dogs any kind of onion family thing to your dogs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mojo
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2006 03:59:34 AM »

An important clarification: garlic in powder form is not dangerous for dogs.  In fact, many commercial dog biscuits include garlic in this form.  Raw fresh garlic or onions, however, contain an enzyme which can be toxic.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006 04:08:08 AM by Mojo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

poyupop

Master Craft Disaster!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2007 08:20:02 PM »

Despite this fact, garlic is falling victim to mass hysteria spread through the internet. Yes, there are sites devoted to warning about the "toxicity" of garlic, this hysteria has even prompted the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center to place a warning on garlic although there is little scientific data to back this claim other than the fact that thiosulphate is also found in garlic. Yet, there are also over 400,000 sites still proclaiming its benefits, many of them from reputable holistic veterinarians who have widely used garlic in their practice for many years! How can an herb suddenly turn so bad?!

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/garlic_for_dogs.html

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=84&code=302

I have been giving treats with garlic to my dog for years... and they haven't developed any issues. I carefully watch and ensure that they are healthy. My veterinarian (who isn't a holistic veterinarian) has recommended solid gold as well as the garlic bagel treats. A popular dog food that has garlic in the ingredients list is Innova, Beneful, pedigree, Nutro, and the list can go on... check your pet food and I am sure you may find garlic listed as an ingredient. If it was so harmful, why would they have it as an ingredient?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poyupop

Master Craft Disaster!

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2007 08:35:14 PM »

Whoops almost forgot, a dog treat my dogs go nuts over. Found on a website.

MUTTZOH BALLS

1 cup Any natural dry dog food
2 Eggs, beaten lightly
1 tsp. Polyunsaturated oil
1/3 cup Cold water
Sprinkle of garlic powder
1/2 cup Chicken soup OR 2 chicken bouillon cubes

Grind dry dog food smooth in a food processor or blender. Lightly beat egg and add oil. Mix all moist ingredients together except soup. Add to dry ingredients. Form into 1/2" balls. In large pan, bring 1 quart water to boiling to which you have added 1/2 cup chicken soup or the 2 bouillon cubes. Drop balls into boiling water. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove from water, drain and cool.  Refrigerate.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
catlee07
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2007 04:58:10 PM »

We had a golden retriever lab mix that ate half of a 9x13 chocolate cake. We took him to the vet. Thankfully, he's ok.

The name of the cake: Death by Chocolate

Pumpkin is good for dogs with diarrhea. Raw meat is especially beneficial, but cooked bones are BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tenesmus

Crafting saves the day!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2007 02:04:50 AM »

I just received an ASPCA (animal poison control center) brochure from my pre-vet friend and here is the list of harmful foods that was in it:

avacados
bones (choking/digestion hazard)
chocolate (all forms)
coffee (all forms)
onions and onion powder
garlic
grapes
raisins
macadamia nuts
alcoholic beverages
moldy/spoiled foods
salt
fatty foods
gum, candies, or other foods sweetened with xylitol
tea leaves
raw yeast dough

and here is the list of poisonous house plants:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_toxicplants
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wildfyre
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2008 04:37:44 PM »

Does anyone know of a list of spices that are bad? I was talking to a friend about making home-made dog treats and one of the books were looking at is by Three Dog Bakery
and I noticed that they use spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008 04:41:13 PM by Wildfyre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
lizi
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2008 02:09:11 PM »

Re: Vegan-pets

I looked into whether it was possible to give a cat a vegan diet (I'm vegan and have been for almost 4 years) but at most you could only replace I think 30% of their diet with non-animal derivatives. I decided that I would rather feed my cat something that is fully meaty than mess around with it and worry that she wasn't getting what she needs. Although it is possible, I'd rather save myself the hassle and worry and make sure that my cat was as healthy as possible whether or not it conflicts with my personal morals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Beyoncé Style Hacks for a #Flawless Look
How to Get the Most from Your Holiday Wardrobe
Every Outfit Kate Middleton Wore on Her NYC Tour
Holiday Shopping Strategies Revealed!
Style Tips for Plus-Size Holiday Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...