A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,460
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pet Recipes - What To Avoid  (Read 8295 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thisisserious
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006 07:52:50 AM »

I helped her as best I could, then she started picking up these packets of sugary chocolate drop things and said she would get them as "treats".  When I told that I never give my cats that sort of stuff, she told me I was mean and cruel! I felt like I'd been slapped in the face.  My cats are loved, healthy and happy.  Maybe her kitten is going to brush and floss it's teeth twice daily *shrugs*.

Chocolate? She's crazy! My kitten just turned 11 weeks, so he's still too young to give him Pounce...which is my favorite cat treat. I give him Greenies instead and he totally loves them. If you aren't familiar with them, Greenies come in a type for cats and a type for dogs. The dog ones come in three or four different sizes and are more like rawhides than biscuits. The cat treats are like biscuits. Greenies clean their teeth and freshen their breath. I got them as a free sample from Petco and when my cat loved them so much, I called the vet to ask about them. The vet said they were great and totally fine to give to the kitten and the dogs. So yeah, I recommend Greenies. Both of my dogs love them and the kitten is chowing down on one right now. Haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mizbabette

Ciara Loves You!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006 11:16:34 AM »

Oh my sweet god, I had no idea about milk and cats! How is that even possible? Yikes...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ciara Loves You: Toys and Designs for Real Cool Cats
Home of the elusive Kitty Monster!
http://www.ciara-loves-you.com
kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006 01:02:30 PM »

Oh my sweet god, I had no idea about milk and cats! How is that even possible? Yikes...

I know.  It's like kitty crack.  They are magnetically drawn to it, but it's terrible for most of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kuolema Nox
The Right-Wing Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2006 01:08:22 PM »

Yeah, like most animals, once kittens are weaned they lose their lactate enzyme and can't digest milk. Man is one of the few animals that doesn't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mishabelle
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006 01:12:34 PM »

I will also add that greenies aren't great for dogs either. I was wondering about them when I gave 1/2 of a mini one to my dog and he was vomiting green foam for 3 days...So I asked the vet and they are not recommended.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafthippie
I <3 System of a Down!!!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006 01:12:45 PM »

Chocolate? She's crazy! My kitten just turned 11 weeks, so he's still too young to give him Pounce...which is my favorite cat treat. I give him Greenies instead and he totally loves them. If you aren't familiar with them, Greenies come in a type for cats and a type for dogs. The dog ones come in three or four different sizes and are more like rawhides than biscuits. The cat treats are like biscuits. Greenies clean their teeth and freshen their breath. I got them as a free sample from Petco and when my cat loved them so much, I called the vet to ask about them. The vet said they were great and totally fine to give to the kitten and the dogs. So yeah, I recommend Greenies. Both of my dogs love them and the kitten is chowing down on one right now. Haha.

If you're pets eat Greenies and rawhide bones, don't let them!! They can tear the lining of the pets stomach and intestines; those sort of treats don't digest very well! My vet freaked when I told him my dog was actually eating Greenies and rawhides! But if they pet is just going to chew on them, then it's ok.  Smiley

UPDATE: Crap I suck at quotes! Tongue
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006 01:16:08 PM by crafthippie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Bombed and being bombed are the same things on different sides of the fence."
         ~Serj Tankian - System of a Down <3
n u l l g a l
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006 01:23:12 PM »

When I saw the title for this thread, i instantly thought "pet recipes?  don't cook your pets!!" then i became sane again.  Smiley  we don't give our cats "treats" either.  except i recently caught my husband feeding our bigger cat doritos.... i'm still not so sure why... but i banned him from doing that ever again! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fear not, for I am with you.
Is. 41:10
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006 01:34:40 PM »

The Vet told us to give our puppy Greenies. Sophie loves them and she smells great. Maybe your baby is allergic. My poor baby that passed away was VERY allergic to chicken. Chicken flavored treats and meat made him bleed rectally until he almost died. The vet gave us some chicken treats for Sophie on our first visit and she immediately got sick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
thisisserious
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2006 02:04:03 PM »

I will also add that greenies aren't great for dogs either. I was wondering about them when I gave 1/2 of a mini one to my dog and he was vomiting green foam for 3 days...So I asked the vet and they are not recommended.

I agree with teapotdnky. My dogs (and kitten) are crazy about their Greenies, the vet recommended them, and there have been no problems with any of the animals. It's very likely that your dog is just allergic to something in them or they just didn't agree with his system. Most of the ingredients in Greenies are the same things that are in most dry dog and cat foods.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafthippie
I <3 System of a Down!!!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006 02:52:54 PM »

Maybe so. I only said that because I saw a huge news story on it. The news team was interviewing vets and people whose pets have died because they dog was eating those things. I'd rather not take a chance of my boo boo dying!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Bombed and being bombed are the same things on different sides of the fence."
         ~Serj Tankian - System of a Down <3
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew a Zipper
How to Do Pleats
How to Do the Bias Binding Technique in Sewing
How to Make a Pillow Cover
How to Make a Wallet Out of Fabric
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...