A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Losing my Best Friend tomorrow...  (Read 3455 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

The Lexi
« on: January 01, 2006 03:31:28 PM »

I've had Snowball for as long as I can remember. We have to put her down in the morning, she's getting old and her hip problems cause too much pain, and it hurts to see her go through that. I want to spend my last night with her playing and laying down with her, rather than crying about it. Tomorrow will come faster than I could ever imagine, I'm sure. If you had one last night what would you do with your pet to make the most of it? Also, when she's gone I want to do something for her, a tribute/memorial sort of thing. Ideas?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006 03:38:59 PM by The Lexi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove."
Timothy Leary
thisisserious
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006 03:53:29 PM »

Embarrassed If I said that losing a pet is difficult or sad, it would be an understatement. Just know that you're doing the right thing. She won't be in pain anymore and will be in a much better place, wherever that may be.

We've had to put 3 of our pets to sleep, but the most recent was the only one I was old enough for my parents to explain to me what was going to happen before it actually happened. Our 7 year old pekingese, Cujo, had congenital kidney disease and his kidneys had gone into failure and could not be helped. I just snuggled with him in his favorite blanket the night before and tried to make him as happy and unaware as possible. I truly believe that animals can sense our emotions, so I did everything I could to not be sad or cry. I remembered all the fun times I had with him and how silly he was when he was a puppy. Even though he was too weak at that point to play, I put all his favorite toys next to him so he could smell and lay on them. I did everything I could to make him feel as comfortable, secure, and happy as possible.

Just spend time with her and remember that you're doing the most amazing and loving thing you could by helping her to not suffer anymore. Make sure you have recent photos of her. If not, take some. Even if she looks sick, the photos will still be something that you'll want if you don't already have some.

You said that you want some type of tribute or memorial. What about making a scrapbook? I've been gathering photos for a few months of all of the animals I've had and lost and plan on making a memory scrapbook. It's better than a photo album because you can decorate the pages or write things. You could look through poetry or find quotes that remind you of her and write them in the scrapbook. If you don't want the pictures to be glued onto the pages, you can buy photo corners. They stick onto the pages and the corners of your photo slide into them. That way, you can take out the photos whenever you want to and there isn't any damage from adhesive. A scrapbook is the only idea I have, but I think it would be wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wokeupafraud
it's always you in my big dreams

andrew mcmahonnnnn <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006 03:58:03 PM »

aww i have a bunny named snoball

i'm soo sorry )=

maybe make one of those altoid mini shrines. keep a locket of her fur, a picture, favorite little toy or something so you can always keep her with you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so I guess we're back to us, oh cameraman
swing the focus. In case I lost my train of
thought, where was it that we last left off?
let's pick up, pick up

http://home.promosquad.com/referal.shtml?referer=_heartacheontv&band=62
sacrdplce

Roadrunner ... the coyote's after you ...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006 05:05:57 PM »

I just snuggled with him in his favorite blanket the night before and tried to make him as happy and unaware as possible. I truly believe that animals can sense our emotions, so I did everything I could to not be sad or cry. I remembered all the fun times I had with him and how silly he was when he was a puppy. Even though he was too weak at that point to play, I put all his favorite toys next to him so he could smell and lay on them. I did everything I could to make him feel as comfortable, secure, and happy as possible.

thisisserious - I'm sorry for your loss. Cujo must have loved you deeply. What a loving way to spend your last night with him.

The Lexi - You have my sympathy. Enjoy this precious last night with Snowball.

Edited to include link to similar thread titled, "I am so upset....I need some craft therapy"
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=54573.0
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006 05:21:21 PM by sacrdplce » THIS ROCKS   Logged

While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.           Gilda Radner
The Lexi
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006 05:41:06 PM »

Thank you for the ideas, and the link.

I'm going to make an altoids shrine, and I have taken several pictures of her tonight. Thanks again.
<3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove."
Timothy Leary
theantihipster
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006 02:24:20 AM »

this is a pretty cheerful tutroialfor a not-so-cheerful time. But I think it's a great idea to devote a little memorial to a cherished member of the family. Keep pictures around, fill a collage frame or make a mexican paper mache shrine with pictures and trinkets.

what might help you in the short term is to go volunteer at your local animal shelter or humane society. It will fill your pet-shaped-hole for a short time, but in the long term it will help you see how important every pet is to their owner, and even maybe help other families through the same thing. It's hard (for me anyway) to volunteer at a shelter because you see alot of sad stories (I cried ALOT) but overall it's such a fulfilling experience. They're usually pretty flexible and not very demanding of your time so it would be easy to fit into your schedule as well.

I'm sorry your baby was hurting, but she's not in pain anymore, and I'm sure she was greatful for your love and care
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my new etsy shop! come see! come see!

www.madebylaurenb.e tsy.com my new stuff
yvonne1118
/\../\

i know you want one, too.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006 11:31:33 AM »

wow... know how you feel.  i am just getting over the second year of having  lost my 15-yo pet.  you sound pretty in control for the moment... scrapbook sounds great to me.  i had a cremation where they separate the carbon, (though, this can be done later from ashes one provides), & a diamond of varying colors is produced, & then you have keepsake jewelry that IS your pet.  they are called lifegems.  pretty pricey, but worth looking into if you are into it.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
giddygirlie

not to be confused with giggly girlie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008 09:20:03 PM »

I know my response to this thread years too late, but I wanted to add to it, in case anyone else was looking up the same thing (I was!).

I actually blogged about our last night together and the euthenasia process (sad, but very sweet and gentle). Our cat was suffering badly from heart disease, and refused to eat, so we tried to tempt him with all his favorites. We bought expensive cat foods and baby food, yogurt, and even popsicles. Smiley

I'm now working on memorial stuff for him. My friends bought me a silver pendant that holds cremains and I saved locks of his hair. I bought a 'frame pendant' from etsy (if you have the skill, you can make one yourself) that is basically a tiny picture frame to hold his fur. I'm just looking for resources on how to glue the hair in place before I start. Once it's done, I'll be sure to post it here on Craftster for all the other pet lovers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coccyx
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008 01:12:33 PM »

Just spend some quality time with her and make her happy and show her how much you love her.  Say goodbye in whatever way you can.

I wish I had one more day to spend with Vince.  I wish I would've been able to see him one more time before he had to be put down, I had to leave him with the vet while they tried to rescue him because I had to be at work, and I had to make the decision over the phone.  I had so much faith in this vet and they gave me a lot of hope that they'd be able to save him, so I didn't even think about asking to see him before I left, plus I'd been awake over 30 hours and couldn't think straight anyways.  That's my biggest regret, that I didn't get to say goodbye.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lunapooka
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009 09:00:39 PM »

Since this thread was started years ago, I am sure that it is too late for this idea, but you can make an impression of their paw in clay and then use a toothpick or something similar to write the pet's name in the clay.  When I worked at a vet's office, we would make these for the owner's after the euthanasia.  We'd give it to them in a baggy with baking instructions.  You can also make a bag or box to hold the ashes.  The receptacles that the cremation folks sell are usually very expensive and not very appealing. I wish I had made something instead of buying it.  That's what I will do next time.  Saving a lock of fur is always a great idea.  You could make a plaque or a frame for a picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need a house with a craft room!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 4/11
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 1/11
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 3/11
How to Knit a Flat Panel on a Loom
How to Knit a Placemat on a Rectangular Loom Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...