A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: awesome carved goldfish rubber stamp  (Read 4075 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

joanieponytail

must make stuff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004 06:09:46 PM »

Beautiful. Sure wouldn't mind seeing your first two stamps. Or any others you have done since the goldfish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesus loves me, this I know.
kukeit

crafting all the time now, mostly in my head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2004 05:06:45 AM »

gorgeous. fabulous. amazing. beautiful. sexy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everything passes
amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004 10:44:32 AM »

holy crow! i love the image you chose. it looks so difficult, carving stencils. but it turned out beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004 11:57:07 AM »

So I imagine you draw the image on the rubber block free-hand? Or maybe it was transfered somehow??

Since kumf said the image came from the internet, I'm going to assume it was printed out and transferred to the cutting block.  To do this on white rubber carving material all you need is an image that came from a laser printer or a photocopier (ink jet-type printer inks don't work for this method) and acetone (nail polish remover works just fine).  Trim around (but not right up to) the image, place it face side down on the cutting block, dampen (do not over-wet) a cotton ball or pad or a piece of kleenex or even toilet paper and then "burnish" it across the back of the image.  Lift a corner to see if the image has transferred.  Burnish a little more if necessary, but take care not to over-saturate the piece of paper with acetone or the image will shmoosh (that's a technical term you all should learn).  Lift the paper and voila, the image is transferred and ready to be carved.  If you do smoosh (a variant on the technical term) the image, you can clean it off the carving block with acetone.  Be sure to then rinse the block to get rid of the acetone and it's ready for you to try again.  (Getting the acetone-to-cotton-pad ratio right is tricky, so I've learned to make at least a few copies of an image in case of bad transfers.)

And yes, you can draw directly onto the block as well.

How many times did you cut yourself?
And yours has so much more detail than mine ever did. 

This is so unbelievable, but I actually didn't cut myself at all (which doesn't even make sense). I read up on carving on the internet before I bought the speedball kit, and one website tutorial made this huge deal about making sure not to "undercut" the image (as in cutting toward the stencil shape), so I made sure to always carve out and away from the design.  I believe this contributed greatly to uninjured success

You can get a carving set for about $10 that includes a handle and four or five different blades that make carving so much easier than an x-acto knife while also keeping cutting accidents to a minimum, because most of the blades are V- or U-shaped.  As opposed to using an x-acto, which requires that you make at least two cuts to be able to remove material (providing oh so many opportunities for self-slicing), these shapes not only allow you to remove rubber with a single cut they are also angled so that if you're holding the tool properly (which is easy to determine as you carve) you pretty much can't undercut.  The blades are different sizes for ease in making wider and narrower cuts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LED18z
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2004 08:51:11 AM »

We did these in art this year! It's a block of linoleum I think. It's really fun stuff to work with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Curl Your Hair With A Flat Iron
Tips for Parting Your Hair
DIY Runway-Worthy Ponytail
A Fresh Take on Vintage Waves
Learning to Embrace Your Frizz With Taren Guy
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...