A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
656 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quick gauge question. sigh.  (Read 398 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mackymoo
« on: May 10, 2006 08:23:57 PM »

Okay so my high school graduation is coming up and I've got this great dress from Anthropologie to wear...

http://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=11142&itemType=PRODUCT&iSubCat=1397&iMainCat=17

And I wanted to knit a nice little shrug/cardigan to go with it. I finally found the perfect pattern. Spring Fling from Knitty.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTspringfling.html

So today I went out and bought yarn and needles. After making up a gauge with the US6 needles, I realized it was far too big and so I went down to the size 4's. The gauge still wasn't right though. There was five stitches to an inch and the pattern calls for six. I don't have anymore needles to go down a size, so I calculated it out. I just want to make sure someone with more experience will tell me if this is going to work out.

So for instance, with the back piece, at the bottom, the medium is 19 inches wide, which would have 76 stitches. So if I knit the x-small with my gauge, I'll have 77.5 stitches. I did math like that for all the different measurements and they were never more than a stitch or so off. Except for the sleeve. It was four off. But will this work? I'm thinking it will, I just don't want to get going on this and have it not turn out and have no time to do something else.

I'm sorry if this was confusing, thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006 05:31:57 AM by mackymoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006 08:33:53 PM »

You wouldn't want to go down a needle size as it is because you've got five stitches to the inch instead of the called for four. If you were looking to make guage, you'd want to try a size 5 needle.

You'll lose a little over a half inch across the body so you might want to think about that, is that too snug? You also lose almost an inch on the arms, so you're definitely going to have to make some adjustment there, but if you're looking for the smallest size, with a smaller guage, you're probably okay knitting to the medium instructions. Except, like I said, the arms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
mackymoo
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006 05:31:32 AM »

Wait gosh. I said it wrong. The pattern calls for six inches to the stitch. Gosh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006 07:31:31 AM »

You did say 6/inch in your first post. So yeah, try the smaller size. Work out how many stitches yout want the finished size to be, then find the pattern size that's closest to using that number of stitches. Measure the whole piece as you go along to make sure it's coming out right. That should get you the right size.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
mackymoo
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006 07:38:34 AM »

Okay thanks. I just needed someone to tell me I wasn't missing anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grilled Filet Mignon Recipe
How To Make New Orleans Pecan Pie
How to Prepare Pork with a Jicard
How to Make Pork with Yellow Mustard
Texas Barbeque Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...