A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,199
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cable cast on  (Read 962 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zknits
« on: January 01, 2006 11:04:49 AM »

i'm doing it for the first time for this pattern and it's not working!   Angry
very frustrated and annoyed...for some reason i can't pick up the yarn to add a new stitch, so it takes me like 5-10 minutes to add a new one...wtf?!
is this normal of am i having a slow knitters moment?
HELP!
z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

http://zknitsgoods.blogspot.com/
shellah
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006 11:10:58 AM »

I'm not sure what's giving you trouble, so I'm not sure how to help...but maybe the video at knittinghelp.com will show you what's going wrong?

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/index.php

Scroll down about half way to find it.

I use the cable cast-on almost exclusively (and the only other one I usually use is a provisional cast-on!) and I find it easy and versatile. Good luck!

Michelle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zknits
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006 08:50:09 PM »

the knitting video is how i figured out how it's supposed to be done in the first place (that site is great!!  beats trying to figure out some text and a few diagrams!!!)  i ended up looping the yarn around twice instead of once to get the needle to catch onto one strand!  i guess cuz the needles are size 2 and the yarn is a little slick, it wasn't wanting to grab on...  : P
z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

http://zknitsgoods.blogspot.com/
olivian
i<3 love

nothing is real... nothing to get hung about

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006 08:52:43 PM »

wow i never knew that you have to cast on differently for doing cables. i only know one cast on method and i have used it to cable several times and i have never had a problem... weird
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starghoti
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006 12:13:45 AM »

wow i never knew that you have to cast on differently for doing cables. i only know one cast on method and i have used it to cable several times and i have never had a problem... weird

Olivian, it's not a cast on for doing cables.  It's just a name for a particular type of cast on that could be used for anything.  It's my favorite one (not that I know that many) because it is neat and just the right amount of stretchy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
toyshirts

Boys Knit Better

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006 06:18:50 AM »

I love the cable cast on. It was the first I learned and it looks so good!

It's almost exactly like doing an ordinary knit stitch so it's really easy to teach.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Since when do boys knit?"
"Umm... Ancient Egypt."
Ruby-luv

I'm just a baby when it comes to knitting--wah

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006 09:22:14 PM »

Ok doing my first pair of sox and i'm using the pattern on elann which calls for the cable cast-on.  I don't quite understand the directions i found at about and i am unable to get the video to work right now due to firewall at work so here goes....

After the second stitch that you place on the left needle (now having 3) are you still knitting/caston btw stitch 1&2 or 2&3?
This is so new to me i just want to scream because it feels so wrong
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated...the other thing that i think is making this super hard is i'm using size 1dps ugh first time for that too  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artisokka
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006 10:20:37 PM »

Zknits, try using a crochet hook instead of the right hand needle.

Ruby-luv, once you have three sts, you're knitting between sts 2&3, then 3&4, and so forth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AStringThing
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006 08:41:52 AM »

I love the cable cast on, although I had trouble with it in the beginning too.  A crochet hook instead of the right hand needle works well, but I don't normally bother with it.  I discovered a technique that makes the cable cast on easy to do with two needles.  When I snug up the newly cast on stitch on the left hand needle, I hold my right hand needle underneath the left as I snug the stitch.  The right hand needle is between the previously cast on stitch and the newly cast on stitch.  Doing this ensures that the newly cast on stitch isn't too tight, and my right hand needle is already in the correct place to knit on the next stitch.  It's a little difficult to describe.  I can post some photos if necessary.

This is my favorite cast on for socks!  I think it looks so much nicer than the long tail cast on. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006 08:57:58 AM »

I love the cable cast on, although I had trouble with it in the beginning too.  A crochet hook instead of the right hand needle works well, but I don't normally bother with it.  I discovered a technique that makes the cable cast on easy to do with two needles.  When I snug up the newly cast on stitch on the left hand needle, I hold my right hand needle underneath the left as I snug the stitch.  The right hand needle is between the previously cast on stitch and the newly cast on stitch.  Doing this ensures that the newly cast on stitch isn't too tight, and my right hand needle is already in the correct place to knit on the next stitch.  It's a little difficult to describe.  I can post some photos if necessary.

Another way to do it would be to use a size or two larger for the cast on, then knit the first row with the right size needle. The cast on stitches will be a little looser and much easier to work with.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
toyshirts

Boys Knit Better

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006 09:21:20 AM »

Or you could do what I do and just not pull it too tight. But I guess that takes some getting used to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Since when do boys knit?"
"Umm... Ancient Egypt."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spring Trend Report: Loafers
Spring Trend Report: Styling Denim Jackets
Spring Trend Report: Camo Whammo
Palmer//Harding Spring 2014 Menswear
Umit Benan Spring 2014 Menswear
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...