A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hipster PDA Cover Tutorial  (Read 4958 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftorama
« on: December 31, 2005 03:26:07 PM »

If you haven't already made your own Hipster PDA  http://www.diyplanner.com or http://www.43folders.com/2004/09/03/introducing-the-hipster-pda , you better hop on that bandwagon and make yourself one.  Here's a few I made last week for my ever-so-more-crafty-then-I sisters (the Hipster PDA "knitter's edition"), my very ambitious college age neice (also very crafty- hers is the "college knitter's edition") and a eagerly crafty nephew (he makes stuff with duct tape so his is named the Hipster PDA "ductster edition).
If you DO have a Hipster PDA and don't want to leave it's pages naked to the world, here's an easy tutorial to help you make yourself a cover. 
Enjoy!

HOW TO MAKE YOUR VERY OWN HIPSTER PDA COVER:
Materials:
2 pieces of fabric measuring 15" x 7"
6 pieces of fabric measuring 5" x 7"
1 piece of fabric measuring 8" x 5 1/4"
2 pieces of fabric measuring 5" x 7 1/2"
Sewing machine (duh)
Notions.  (haha.  I think that means thread and stuff)

Side Pockets:
Start with "left" side pocket (a 5" x 7" piece).  Take another 5" x 7" piece and fold/iron it in half this will be the back (or "top", however you see it) pocket.  Pin back pocket 2" inches from top of one of your 5 " x  7" pieces.  Pin in place (at the top where it's folded over).

Take another 5" x 7" piece and fold/iron 3" of it towards the back.  This will be your front (or "bottom" pocket).  Align it with the bottom of your 5" x 7" piece and pin near folded edge.

Pick up front pocket and sew bottom of back pocket.

Fold over, pin and iron entire right side of pocket.

Sew.
Repeat for right pocket except fold over, pin, iron and sew left side.  You should now have two matching pockets with a finished edge on opposite sides.
Note:  You can change the depth of your pockets by sewing up the bottoms in different spots.

Center Pocket:
Fold 8" x 5 1/14" piece in half (matching up short ends).  Iron.  Pin to right side of one of the 5" x 71/2" pieces starting on one edge then pinning the other edge.  There will be excess material here (so you have a bigger pocket for your Hipster) so pin a pleat in center bottom.

Pin your other 8" x 5 1/14" to the front of your pocket piece, right sides together.  (Your pocket will be inside.)

Sew around sides and bottom, leave the top open to turn inside out.  Reverse and iron.

You should now have three pockets.

Outside Cover:
If you're going to decorate your outside cover, now is the time to do it.  Add stenciling, material, buttons, etc. before assembly.  I used extra material, sewed it on and added buttons.

Assembly:

Lay one 15" x 7" piece face up.  Pin three pockets in place making sure outside pockets have finished edge toward the inside and that the center pocket is just kind of centered between them (if this pocket is bigger just center it in and the top and bottom will be sewn in hem).

Lay your other 15" x 7" piece face down on the piece with pockets pinned to it.  Pin around edges and sew leaving a hole to turn it rightside out.  Reverse, iron and sew opening.

Viola... Your very own Hipster PDA.
Here's
Mary's Hipster:

Rose's Hipster:

She has a center pocket that flips up... I'm sure she'll find it useful.

Sarah's Hipster:

Lucas' Hipster:

If for some reason this this tutorial doesn't work or the images aren't where I thought I left them (haha) you can also see this tutorial at http://www.craftorama.150m.com./hipster.html
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006 01:17:26 PM by craftorama » THIS ROCKS   Logged
americandemockracy

Misanthropic, you got it.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005 04:54:09 PM »

Wow! That's really cool. I think I'm going to give it a shot!

Thanks for the tutorial.

~Katie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://javastain.etsy.com is now open!

Come check us out for period goodness!
Lylyfai

Multi-Crafter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005 06:41:12 PM »

I love the idea, basically a keeper for all my dang lists...sounds very useful. Yours looks very functional. Thanks for the link and the idea!

I couldn't find the knitter's edition on the site though, could you point it out?

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

145 dependents and counting=
139 dolls, 3 cats, 1 lost Hubby & Roland!
Preppin' for Ro's 3rd Bday- theme=Helicoptors!
http://www.adoptionsbygladney.com (Thank you!)
laura1121
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005 06:51:05 PM »

oooo very nice.  i love all the little pockets.  i might have to try this when i get some free time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftorama
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005 06:55:10 PM »

There isn't a "knitters edition", sorry I didn't explain myself.  I just looked at the original Hipster directions, used Microsoft Word and made up my own templates.   It's easy really, you just use the page setup, set for index card and put whatever you want on your index cards and print them off.  This way you can make your "PDA" theme whatever suits your needs.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SuzukiBeane33
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006 09:07:09 AM »

Omg, I have been making these out of felt, but I am blown away at the detail of these!  God I need to learn how to really sew....

Very nice presents, and you've pushed me to a new level of HPDAing! (I think I just invented a new verb  Tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

www.baltimorediy.blogspot.com
kidkoala
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006 09:48:01 AM »

I love this so much! This will definatly be my next sewing project, but first I need fabric as wonderful as you used in that first one. I love the buttons on the front as well, very hip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
                      -Woody Allen
folara
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006 04:40:58 PM »

I've gotta make one of these for my boyfriend--he was carrying a binder clip full of index cards long before he ever head of the HPDA, and I'm sure he'd love something like this! Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post pictures of all of my crafty adventures on my flickr and my blog!
TJKilborn

★☆★ Loving Life ★☆★

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013 10:47:29 PM »

Love all the pockets! Perfect for daily reminders!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Every man, before they die, should know what they are running from, and to, and why.~

~Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim.~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Understanding Asymmetry in Architecture
Understanding Symmetry in Architecture
How to Draw a Perspective
How to Handle PDF Files with PitStop Pro 09
How to Draw an Architectural Detail
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...