A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,554
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glow in the Dark and Warhol-esk Jester w/ Metal Stencil  (Read 2184 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ikillbarbies
Poor College Student

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2005 10:49:54 AM »

I feel silly that I never post any of my stencil work here, I used to do so much of it...

This is my brother's apartment warming present. I made the stencil in welding class this semester out of steel (talk about durable!).  They are two 16"x20" canvases done with spray paint.

The stencil:

The Warhol:

and a close-up:

And my favorite, the Glow in the Dark Jester:

I couldn't get a picture of it glowing, but I assure you, it's Bright!

The Warhol one almost killed me, I had to re-do some of the squares two or three times.

Questions? Comments?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011 03:40:51 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

YouTube Channel Home to my animations and video shorts
stellaxsnake
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005 11:00:30 PM »

i definitely love the first one, the colors look great. i wish i could make all my stencils out of steel instead of flimsy freezer paper, what a difference!
did you have to use spray adhesive, or was the steel heavy enough to just. . not fly away? (does that make sense? haha i don't do much spray painting. . ever). if so, what brand did you use? i want to start experimenting with canvases.
but yeah. anyway. love them both!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

like a skull shaped balloon, i believe in us
ikillbarbies
Poor College Student

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006 10:20:48 AM »

I didn't need spray adheasive for this, the steel was more than heavy enough to stay in place.  I usually use manila folders or posterboard, which can last through many uses.  As soon as school starts again, I can definitly see myself sneaking back into the metal shop to use the plasma cutter and make more stencils.

As far as brands, I think I am currently using 3M for spray adheasive, but mostly because it was the cheapest.  For spraypaint, I mostly use Rustoleum, occasionally Kryolan but I don't like it as much.  This was my first time uses canvas to paint on, and it was incredibly easy.  I used pre-primed canvas out of sheer laziness, and would suggest that you either prime your own or buy pre-primed.  It'll make a difference in how much paint you need to use to have a good color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiph_thompson

Can't. Stop. Making. Things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006 03:18:52 PM »

mmmm..plasma cutter.  my favorite tool in the WHOLE WORLD. Grin
the welding shop where i work just purchased a giant cnc routing machine that can make all these amazing three dimensional shapes and i keep pissing them off wanting to use it for "dinky" two-d stencil cuttings.  they just don't know what's cool  Tongue    Anyhow, i like your stencil, it's cute and you did a great cutting job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine brings all the boys to the yard.

You'll find the fruits of my labor here:
www.odkins.etsy.com

Great vintage fabrics, books, supplies:
www.TheHaps.etsy.com
ikillbarbies
Poor College Student

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006 07:01:45 PM »

Thanks tiph.  I was terrified of the plasma cutter at first, and now I laugh at myself for that.  That machine is AMAZING!  I will admit that I did a lot of clean-up and detail work with a Dremel (another favorite tool), not to mention having to file all the edges!

Just curious, what do you do?  I'm a sculpture major, so I use my collage's metal shop.  What's your connection to a metal shop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiph_thompson

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006 07:57:08 PM »

yeah...the whole electricity thing in particular was scary to me at first too - it's a simple process but somehow the potential to blow a hole through one's self, or cause some sort of big sparky thing to happen was all i could invision.  Obviously not a real concern upon closer inspection  Wink

I love the world of metal and scrap in sculpture, but, alas, i am but a meager tradesperson  Grin .  I'm heading to school in september to get my actual welding-fitter cert., but for a while now i've been working/assisting in various jobs as a metal fabricator.  I want to be a wicked good welder so I can do it for work and fun - all part of my plan to become the girl from Flashdance.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.odkins.etsy.com

www.TheHaps.etsy.com
ikillbarbies
Poor College Student

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006 08:17:46 PM »

I wasn't so scared of the electricity, although several times I did use my hand to steady the stencil and got a tingle-ly sensation.  My professor decided to tell us that day about the time he welded his eyes shut by looking at the light for too long.  We were all kinda nervous after that.

My big brother is starting at a school in Albany, NY this week for welding. Between the two of us, there is going to be some weird sculpture and furniture at our parents' house.

You should check out the clothing forum, there's lots of tutorials on off-the-shoulder sweatshirts and leggings. ;-)  "She's a maniac, maniac....."  Sorry, couldn't resist!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiph_thompson

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006 10:23:14 PM »

I wasn't so scared of the electricity, although several times I did use my hand to steady the stencil and got a tingle-ly sensation.  My professor decided to tell us that day about the time he welded his eyes shut by looking at the light for too long.  We were all kinda nervous after that.

My big brother is starting at a school in Albany, NY this week for welding. Between the two of us, there is going to be some weird sculpture and furniture at our parents' house.

You should check out the clothing forum, there's lots of tutorials on off-the-shoulder sweatshirts and leggings. ;-)  "She's a maniac, maniac....."  Sorry, couldn't resist!

Holy Good Grief! Welding the eyes shut is a new one!    And yes...ha ha ha  Tongue...you think you're funny, but what's REALLY funny is that i HAVE made some of those shirts and leggings.  Who's funny now, huh? HUH?  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.odkins.etsy.com

www.TheHaps.etsy.com
qwizzybaby
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006 10:47:00 PM »

that is cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ikillbarbies
Poor College Student

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006 06:40:06 PM »

Just a quick update:
My college had an art auction tonight to raise money for senior projects. I wanted to donate, seeing as how it would benefit me too.  I recreated the Warhol-esk Jester canvas and donated it....

....and someone bought it for $20!

Now, I know that for art that's unbelievably cheap.  Some of the work tonight sold for several hundreds.  I don't care. I'm WAY too excited that someone bought MY art.  The idea that someone who doesn't know me, bought my art and is going to put it in their house.  That's crazy! I'm sooo dorky about this right now, but woah.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Hair Masks
ModaMen: Bro Braid Off
Get Red Carpet Hair at Home with Clairol
How to Get Job Interview Hair
Extend the Life of Your Blowout
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...